Crowfoot

ras

Just received a Simonich Crowfoot in the mail and all I can say is wow, it was worth the wait. It's a very nice neck-knife, wicked sharp S30V blade with nice blue-black G10 slabs -- very nice. Thanks Christine.

It's a Mid-Tech. AFAIK that's the only Crowfoot currently available. Pics? Maybe in a couple days after I get the time and the light is right. Besides there's a pic on the Mid-Tech page.

Even though its a MidTech, they are all slightly differant. After all, this one is yours! But there are several differant ones around. There are satin Crowfoots, DLC Crowfoots and my favorite Flaming Crowfoots. Oh and Urban Crowfoots.

So to quote a movie "there are many like it, but this is mine" :D

R.W.Clark said:
Even though its a MidTech, they are all slightly differant. After all, this one is yours! But there are several differant ones around. There are satin Crowfoots, DLC Crowfoots and my favorite Flaming Crowfoots. Oh and Urban Crowfoots.

So to quote a movie "there are many like it, but this is mine" :D

Yeah... What he said :D ;)

Somehow I get the perception that there's a problem with Mid-Tech knives. This Crowfoot is a very high quality S30V blade with good lines and an excellent edge -- it's just not custom. Gee, none of my Benchmade knives are custom; a few are limited editions, meaning that BM only made 50 or 1000 of them. So what is the issue with the Mid-Tech term? I really like this knife.

ras said:
Somehow I get the perception that there's a problem with Mid-Tech knives. This Crowfoot is a very high quality S30V blade with good lines and an excellent edge -- it's just not custom. Gee, none of my Benchmade knives are custom; a few are limited editions, meaning that BM only made 50 or 1000 of them. So what is the issue with the Mid-Tech term? I really like this knife.

Heck No!!! Mid techs are a way for you or I, especially I to get a nice custom made knife at a price even I can afford :D

On some knives, for example, all work is done by the maker except for the handles. Mid techs are good :cool:

I believe that mr Clark was not intending his comment to sound degrading or objective towards Mid techs. We just love seeing people post their pics because no two pics are alike from two different people :D :cool: ;)

Did not mean to sound like there is anything at all wrong with MidTechs. I can see re-reading my post how it might have come across that way. :eek: Sorry, please it was not meant that way. It was just that you sounded like you thought that all midtechs were that same when you said that there was a photo on the Simonich site. Thats why I said "even though its a midtech". Trust me, it was not a put down by any means.

MidTechs are the bridge between super high end factory knives and really good customs.

I also produce the Simonich MidTechs. I took over their production after Robs death. So thats why I know that they are all differant. They all have there own personallity. So much hand work goes into each one that they are indeed one of a kind.

Thanks for that info. It does look a lot like the one on the website, I'll take some shots this weekend so you can compare.

I knew from talking to Christine that there weren't a lot of these being made and that the number is small. Unfortunately, the MidTech term is relatively undefined and is used by other makers. I get the impression it does have a negative meaning with some knives. You guys might want to consider coming up with a new term to describe the midtech knives and trademark it.

Terminology aside, I like the knife and am really looking forward to the Kootenai this summer.

Ras... It'll take me a while, hopefully I'm successful, but I do believe a long ways back, Blade Magazine did a complete article on mid techs and what they mean. I'll do some checking.

Midtechs are awesome for people like me :D :D

ras said:
Unfortunately, the MidTech term is relatively undefined and is used by other makers. I get the impression it does have a negative meaning with some knives. You guys might want to consider coming up with a new term to describe the midtech knives and trademark it.
Unfortunately, no matter what name you apply there are some who will use it as cause for denigrating a product or worse, producers using it or one like it to make an inferior product. Ken Onion, who coined the term originally, does pretty well with his midtechs. They routinely sell for $600 at shows and are immediately resold for 2-3 times that, so I guess some aren't too put off by the name.

On the Crowfoot, this was always my favorite of Rob's knives. It's just a whole lot of knife in a small package and is totally what Rob was all about.

I recall a midtech thread sometime back regarding Ken Onion's midtech term. From what I can see Simonich Knives is doing exactly what was originally intended, using the term to describe high end knives which are neither custom nor production. However, as can be seen by that thread, the term is a bit contentious.

Whatever, I like the Crowfoot more now that I've handled and used it. The Karambit ring adds some very nice handling attributes.

I read the thread. It really doesn't matter what you call it. There are some who will bitch if the maker doesn't sweep the floor of his shop regularly, others will if he does. There's enough latent hostility on these forums to fuel a sh*tstorm on most any subject at any time for any reason. I reckon it's better than kicking the dog or beating the kids, and too many have never done better than that.

It's like the Marine general said recently, some people you just love to shoot... :)

My method of dealing with temptation is to give in -- this was just another example, worth every penny :)

I have 2 of the mid-tech crowfoot knives.

One I bought off of Rob's belt at Las Vegas in 03. It is one of my most prized knives. I have a reciept from the show stating it was Rob's personal carry. It has never been used by me and won't be either.

I just recently bought another so that I would have a crowfoot and feel comfortable about using it. I still want to get a good leather sheath for it tho.

I like the neck carry option for the Crowfoot so I'll stay with the kydex sheath that it came in. It's an excellent fit with good retention.

I have a DLC Coated Crowfoot and a Military Urban Raven MidTech that I added to my collection right before Rob's untimely passing. I have now added a Custom "skeletonized" Crowfoot that Rob built prior to putting the slightly larger Midtech version into production.

Despite the fact that I know they were meant to be used, I still have a tough time reconciling the "use" of any of my customs so the Midtechs at least provide an opportuity to use one of his designs that you can replace if something happens. With my customs, they are simply irreplaceable and I am not so concerned about damaging the knives as losing one due to theft. I remember a thread posted here on the forums where a member was trying to find a replacement Kanji that was lost during a vehicle breakin. My talonite Kanji is sitting in the safe unused for exactly that reason. The same holds true for my Nordooh and Aurora that were on Rob's bench to be sharpened and refurbished when he was involved in his tragic accident. They are not new, but there is nothing around that can replace them. At least with the Midtech, you can get a great design and nice user that you can replace.

Speaking of coatings, are there any plans to do a Crowfoot run with BC or DLC Diamond coating -- Near-term/Long term?

Back