Crucible Service Center Update

OK, I just got off the phone with Crucible. The new Stainless, which at the moment is being called CPM-3V Modified, is hardened at 1950 - no problem for most heat treaters.

The new super steel, CPM-125, which is the one that will take a month to grind but gets up into the Rc70+ range, is hardened at about 2200, and that will be a problem for most.

I like 3V a lot, but like Tom I have no intention of wearing myself out on something meaner than that.

Ed, no written info yet on the new steels. It is my understanding (from them) they are still playing with the formulas.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

[This message has been edited by GaKnife (edited 06-12-2000).]

I got one of those sample bars of CPM420V, and I can't wait to use it. The guys at Crucible were friendly and well informed. The guys from Admiral had a pile of steel on the table, but they wouldn't sell me any. They said they just had it there to show off product. This decides a lot for me.

------------------
Oz

"This is your life, and it's ending; One minute at a time."
http://www.freespeech.org/oz/

Jerry,

The S125V steel is the one they are supposed to send me to play with. I don't want to spend that much time at the grinder, either.
I am going to play with it out of curiosity.

Crucible did have data sheets available for
440V - 420V - 3V at the show. I picked up one of each.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=926274
New Knives
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

CPM 125! Rc70+! Say it isn't so. Jerry, did CPM mention when they'd be publishing updated toughness and wear resistance charts comparing CPM 125 to 3V and 10V?

Jack, Jerry is right again. Last week on the MT forum I inquired about the rumors I'd been hearing that S90V was really 420V renamed. Valmet, who moderates the MT forum, went straight to the head honchos at MT and confirmed that this is in fact the case. Trust me, you weren't the only one who'd gotten the impression that S90V was to be a new proprietary steel made exclusively for MT by CPM. Here's the link if you're interested.
http://www.microholics.com/boards/Forum2/HTML/000627.html

------------------
Semper Fi

Bronco, I was told by their technical guy that they should have final spec next week. When they publish them is uncertain, but he did offer to share info. I intend to let him do that. As soon as I get anything I will post it here.

MT may have been playing some word games with you. It is possible that they had a melt done expressly for them, but the formula is 420V. Never trust a markuting guy. I know, I used to be one, now I can't even spell it.
smile.gif

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Thanks much Jerry, I can't wait to see the figures. I haven't found a knife blade yet that I can't sharpen with my Edge Pro, but I'm always looking.

As for the MT S90V situation, I think it was evident in my post that I'm a little disappointed in how things were handled. I understand that Tony and Al can't possibly keep up with every or even most posts on the MT forum, but the proprietary nature of S90V was the subject of numerous posts and, I think it's fair to say, had created a fair amount of buzz. I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered the possibility that the leadership at MT has allowed this misconception to perpetuate due to the publicity and free advertising that it has generated. Fortunately for MT they have a first rate individual like Valmet moderating their authorized forum. Maybe they should consider hiring him?

------------------
Semper Fi

what is the reason that most of you guys don't want to try the new cpm steels?Roger Dole is building me a small folder out of cpm15v now and he said yes it is hard to grind but with the right belts its not the end of the world.Tom i think you just got unlucky with crucible.i called to order a bar of 15v and had it in about 7 days and i'm not even a maker.from what i have seen their service was great.

I don't think anyone said they wouldn't try the new steels. Most of us have. But since some of us make a living at this we can't spend a whole lot of time grinding every knife. A small folder isn't too hard to grind in any steel, but a 12" bowie or a 7" fighter is a lot more work by comparison. And I suspect grinding that 15V blade was a bit easier than sharpening it is going to be.

The first time I ordered directly from Crucible, it was easy and fast. The next couple times, it was impossible. It got so bad at one point that someone from the home office called me to apologize. It sounds like you got lucky. Their new distribution centers assigned to the knifemaking trade appear to be trained to deal with us. I just ordered half sheets of 3V and 154CM today, and it was dead easy.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

I am using the new cpm steels....and grinding one knife, especially a little one is no big deal...like Jerry says....by the way...nice job on the spelling bee dude... but how about 20, or 50 drop points out of the stuff....after you do that give me a call cause i want to talk to you....I have done this with vascowear and 420V...after making knives for almost 20 years, rough grinding is one of my least enjoyable tasks, and doing it when it takes 4 or 5 time longer is just NO FUN>>>>>>and we want to have some fun....right jer!!!!!!! Burntthe crap out of my finger today, btw....with some very hot plastic.....It is WAY worse than grinding off your knuckle...and it KEEPS hurting and hurting....

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

Tom, (or any of you other seasoned vets) could you give a real quick and dirty summary of what vascowear is (or was). I've seen it referred to here on several occasions, including the BFC steel FAQ, but never with any real details. I'm just wondering if there's another steel in use today that has similar properties to vascowear. What was its main strength and main weakness (other than obviously being hard to grind) and why is it no longer in use?

------------------
Semper Fi

Elim, not to worry... Tom directs all his barbs at me. That one was about how well I spelled "it".

Tom's really quite harmless.
smile.gif

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

vascowear is was a product that was made especially for paper cutters and was EXTREMELY wear resistant...from what i understand a very similar product is still being made and is called cruswear, or something like that.....and yes, the spelling bee award goes to the gentleman from georgia, not so much for getting the spelling right, as for his erudite answer!

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

I suppose the fella from Georgia does win the spelling bee! It is spelled Cruwear, made by of course, Crucible. It is good stuff and holds an edge a very, very long time. By the way, it WILL rust. Compare it to CPM 3V and it looks like 3V edges ahead (according to the specs). Maybe a knifemaker that has worked with both steels could comment...

C Wilkins

Back