CT Gathering What Worked, What Didn't?

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
If you were at the CT Wilderness Gathering, this is a post to list what worked for you and what didn't. For example,

What worked:

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad. Packed really small yet provided 20"x 78"x 2.5" thick comfort. Really great pad!

Gossman Knives. I tested a few this weekend here and there and all edges were unaffected by use.

Friendship. I am very happy to finally place a name with a face. Some guys and gals will be longtime friends from now on thanks to this weekend.

What didn't:

Canines. Man's best friend doesn't apply to state parks.

Professional courtesy. When you have a chip on your shoulder, I guess you won't help out a group with great intentions.

Staghorn Sumac as a fireboard. Maybe it wasn't seasoned well or maybe another factor contributed to this plant not being able to produce a coal with the bow drill.

Kev

Worked:

Eureka Solitaire Tent-Very compact, lightweight tent that kept the little rain off and allowed for a decent nights sleep.

Mountain House Meal- Had one of these Saturday evening and it wasn't half bad. I had the chicken terriyaki and rice and would recommend it to anyone.

Give Aways/Trade/Meeting new people- Nothing like meeting new folks interested in the same things. The trading and give aways were great ways of sparking up a conversation with someone.

Did Not Work:

Work Boots- Don't get me wrong, I love my work boots, but the things were not meant for comfort all day long. It could just be that I did not have inserts in, but they just didn't feel too good the next day.

Forgetting a Spoon- Nothing worse than needing a spoon and not having one. I was lucky that Linda and Richard in the camp next to me had a spare. Thanks again :).

Other than that everything else was great. Thanks to everyone who went and made it a great time

Kevin, I figured out that if it comes down to starting a fire to stay alive with a bow drill, I'm a gonner....It took way to much time for me to get it and that means for me that I need to practice a whole bunch...The big striker was perfect....Fire in a flash...Really enjoyed watching you work and teach us some of your finer techniques...Keep in touch...
Brett

Brett,

You have the technique and concept now, just practice it and it will become easier. What also worked were your grilling delicacies. You are the master buddy!

BTW, I hope you get a chance to get over to JoJos. Let them know I sent you and they'll take care of you.

What worked for me: All the great folks we met and all the gear.

What didn't work for me: Park Rent a cop.

Oldman/Marty Simon

WORKED:
Proto Barkies!!! great knife:thumbup:
The feeling of being around good people that are interested in the same things, and making new friends .:thumbup:
I concur with Bretts cooking being the best ever!:thumbup:
Marty, Aggie and Kevin..simply the coolest people I have met in a long time..great people and teachers. :thumbup::thumbup:
The lack of ticks in CT..I was suprised..MA is overrun.:thumbup:

DIDNT WORK:
State property...BIG :thumbdn:
State property out houses....:barf::thumbdn:
Me..after hanging out with you guys, drinking till 2am :barf:

Spooky,
Just one of them was a real A-hole. He had a problem with the best bunch of behaved dogs you ever were around.
Oldman/Marty Simon

I've encountered many of the same. I can't imagine a more easy-going and personable (let alone safe and conscientious) bunch of folks than those who have reported being present that weekend.

What worked:
Marty's teaching. Aggie's cooking. Marty's plant walk. Marty and Aggie's coolness as people even though he snores so loud the tent walls were moving.

Kevin's teaching (you are on your way, bro). Seeing Kevin and Marcelo again after so many years.

The fellowship, friendships new and old, and laughs.

Brett "The Game Gourmet"'s cooking and handmade game sausages, meats, and hot dogs. I TOLD you guys nobody did that better. And Brett's gourmet game chili (fuel for the Blue Dagger).

"The Blue Dagger," which is Kevin's unique custom blade. Watching the Heat Treat process was, er, disturbing....:eek: It was more of an orange color this weekend.

Big Mike's Bark River collection, and Big Mike's knowledge, friendliness, and generosity.

All the other Bark Rivers.

The new Bark Rivers I got from Sean (Thanks, bro)

Late night laughs and discussion (and beer) around the campfire til the wee hours.

Eugene/1Tracker "Joey Pants the Tangent Trader" and his constant assualts on us, "Trade! Trade! Trade!" LOL.

The generous gear contributions by Bark River, HUNTFLIX.com and OFAGEAR.com

Big John's hilarious but enlightening stories of his life experiences. His smooth handling of the park mall ninjas when needed. His response when I asked how to treat DEET poinsoning and if it was dangerous: he handed me a Smithwick's beer.). "It's got alcohol. Alcohol kills things that ail you." Couldn't argue with his logic.

Simon/siguy's sharpening talent.

What didn't work:
The park mall ninjas.

Me, after apparent DEET poisoning just prior to the fire seminar. I got lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous. Sucked. But I still got to watch Kevin effortlessly demonstrate bow drill.

Traffic up from VA. I hit a wall of vehicles in MD and it lasted thru NJ. A 6 hour ride turned into 13+ hours. Next time, somebody beam me up.

My GPS when I went on a beer run Saturday night. Bad reception there, and the B*itch sent me around in circles. Reminded me of an old girlfriend, except I could cut the power to this one and make her instantly stop talking. That part worked.

My night vision after people kept on "helpfully" shining their flashlights for me, then my shin finding the picnic bench in the dark suddenly and forcefully.

Eugene/1Tracker "Joey Pants the Tangent Trader" and his constant assualts on us, "Trade! Trade! Trade!" -- before I had my morning coffee. Otherwise it worked.

There's much more but I am outta steam at the moment. :D

If you guys want to do something completely different, you should have your next gathering up here in Ontario. :rolleyes:

Doc

If you guys want to do something completely different, you should have your next gathering up here in Ontario. :rolleyes:

Doc

North or South of the perma-frost?
Might be interesting up around the gold mines up North.

You aren't far enough North.

WORKED:
Proto Barkies!!! great knife:thumbup:
The feeling of being around good people that are interested in the same things, and making new friends .:thumbup:
I concur with Bretts cooking being the best ever!:thumbup:
Marty, Aggie and Kevin..simply the coolest people I have met in a long time..great people and teachers. :thumbup::thumbup:
The lack of ticks in CT..I was suprised..MA is overrun.:thumbup:

DIDNT WORK:
State property...BIG :thumbdn:
State property out houses....:barf::thumbdn:
Me..after hanging out with you guys, drinking till 2am :barf:

Come on, that Star Wars snake in the toilet only got one or two people...

Worked for me:
Bark River knifes

Sharpshootersheaths Adirondack pocket sheath (who one the other small leather pocket sheaths?)

Friends, both new and old!

Trade, trade, trade.

What didn't:
Kept forgetting my mess kit in my tent.

Scary toilets.

Leaving so soon

That would be I Mr. Blackwatch, I really do not have a use for it, so if you would like it let me know. Before I purchase a small knife to fit it!

I have 3 pocket sheaths now. I'm running outta pockets. Feel free to consider yourself "enabled" to fill that sheath with a small knife. :)

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad. Packed really small yet provided 20"x 78"x 2.5" thick comfort. Really great pad!Kev

Kevin,

I pretty much avoid extra weight when backpacking but I agree with you about 3000% on Big Agnes pads:thumbup:

I have been backpacking for over 20 years and I must say for the very minimal extra weight (and maybe actually savings in square inches over a z lite or something) the Big Agnes provides me with the best effing nights sleep I have ever had backpacking. I am so refreshed and it improves my endurance so much to not wake up about six hundred times with aches and pains:thumbup:

What worked:
15+ old year Kelty Domolite tent - still going strong
North Face Cat's Meow sythetic bag (about 8 years old, still a great bag)
Fiskars Hatchet, Bark River Northstar, Victorinox Trailmaster - all worked great
Old School Svea 123 stove - very old, still cooks up a meal w/o much fuss.
Marty & Kevin - excellent instructors, and just nice guys to talk to.
Everyone else - it was a pleasure meeting everyone, sharing stories, food (thanks, Brett & Eugene) and I definitely look forward to the next gathering.
Trades - made some great trades, came away w/ a couple of nice knives & a stove, thanks to Eugene.

What Didn't work:
losing half the crowd due to the park Ranger
My cheap sleeping pad (couldn't locate the thermarest) - I'll be looking into the big Agnes pads
My cell phone - not necessarily that much of a bad thing, but it's nice to have commo

Sam

Back