CT Gathering What Worked, What Didn't?

Long story HD. They don't allow dogs at the park, but are usually cool as long as no noise etc., but we got a ranger there who was too impressed with his own authority and strutted around barking orders at us like we were criminals. He must be bitter that he didn't pass the mall security exam.

Stupid rentacop. Seems like there is always one to try and ruin peoples times. He probably should have stuck around to learn something, instead of being a pita.

good:
marty's great lessons

the generosity of the folks that sent all the great giveaway stuff

the generosity of all the folks there. made a couple of great trades and recieved a few gifts. great people all around.

chatting with people that have so much in common. it was really awesome to have someone to gripe to about not being able to get rid of a burr, or being able to show in person how to sharpen something up real nice. so much easier than describing online.

kevin's great teaching and chatting

checking out/handling/playing with all kinds of new gear (the number of bark rivers was mind boggling, and they are great quality knives)

trade!trade!trade! (haha)

the whole concept in general was great and i am glad that it mostly worked out

not good:
the park ranger/dog issue (which led to a large number of guys and girls leaving early, and put a bit of a damper on the rest of the weekend)

not being able to keep all the names straight. i'm bad with names, and trying to remember two for each person threw me for a loop. name tags are a must for next time, as long as noone objects...

my billy can tipping over and spilling the lunch cocoa into the fire and then the fire baking the remnants into the inside of my billy...it came out alright though.

freezing my rear end off in my puny tent with my measly blanket (i did alright though because i used a reflective tarp to keep warm enough to get some shut eye. next time i am certainly overpacking on the warm clothes and blankets)

overall it was a terrific way to spend a weekend, and only wish i could do it more often. it was really awesome meeting everyone, and thanks very much to all that helped put it together and thanks to everyone i had the pleasure to meet.

Back