Cult of the peanut , members

My favorites actually and are available.

I do remember seeing them, but it's been a while since I've seen them in the local Home Depot. Good to know that they are still being made. It's like the best of both worlds.

I do know that whatever peanut class pocket knife I have down in my coin pocket, that it and the P-38 and Victorinox quatro and a small pliers will do most of what I seem to run across in my retirement. I very often curse my fate of being afflicted with the arthritis in my hands that made me forsake my all time favorite pocket knife, the Case peanut. But the Buck 309 companion, the Case mini copperhead, and the Victorinox executive do a passable job. Backed up with the few keychain tools and small pliers, I feel well equipped to go out and engage toe world like a retired gentleman of leisure should.

I do like the idea of the tiny adjustable wrench though. I may have to try that for a while.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

Gold Member
I use the small pliers two or three times a week on average opening return grills on HVAC systems and for grabbing small things that need to be held with a firm grip. Sometimes it's the little pliers and sometimes I just use the pliers on my Squirt. Got a new key chain tool called a "Swiss Tech" that I am going to try out. It was a freebie when I bought the GEC #14 clip bladed boys knife yesterday at the knife show. I'm very fond of the #14 size for a small knife.

Jackknife, I believe you could probably open the Rough Rider Peanut if you are in the market to try something else.

I use the small pliers two or three times a week on average opening return grills on HVAC systems and for grabbing small things that need to be held with a firm grip. Sometimes it's the little pliers and sometimes I just use the pliers on my Squirt. Got a new key chain tool called a "Swiss Tech" that I am going to try out. It was a freebie when I bought the GEC #14 clip bladed boys knife yesterday at the knife show. I'm very fond of the #14 size for a small knife.

Jackknife, I believe you could probably open the Rough Rider Peanut if you are in the market to try something else.

In the past year or so, I've become very attached to the case mini copperhead with the wharncliffe point. It fit the coin pocket sooooo well, and has no half stop and a lighter pull on the blades, so it's easier for me to open that the peanut. And it's a Case!:thumbsup:

22-rimfire

Gold Member
Jackknife, I know you smoke a pipe; take a look at the Rough Rider Pipe Doctor. It is a nice tool and has a wharncliffe blade; classy. The nail knick is quite large, well exposed, and the pull soft on the wharnie blade. ~3.6" closed length.

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back to the front page with some pictures:

A022F571-C009-4783-B49F-25F96553B3A8.jpeg FA99717F-2C0E-48DA-9365-4E9D6E251A5E.jpeg 25F848A3-3DF7-4589-AE75-2CBA53D20CB2.jpeg EF108CCB-0024-4915-88A2-3ED691BA9D2E.jpeg 235EC4A6-222B-420E-8152-67774F5EBC7F.jpeg 05622837-FB46-45D7-B7DC-FF1E1DA92750.jpeg

The CV checstnut is my EDC. Over the weekend I picked up the Camillus 21, and it’s been riding shotgun to the chestnut. Yesterday I received the Damascus chestnut, and she’s a beauty; just a pleasure to hold and look at. She came a little gritty, so I still need to flush out the joints, but I have a feeling I’ll be carrying her soon.
Not pictured are my oldest son’s Yeller CV and my youngest’s brown delrin.
I guess you could say we’re a ‘nutty family.:D

John

Bringing this thread back to the front page with some pictures:

View attachment 1094367 View attachment 1094368 View attachment 1094369 View attachment 1094370 View attachment 1094371 View attachment 1094372

The CV checstnut is my EDC. Over the weekend I picked up the Camillus 21, and it’s been riding shotgun to the chestnut. Yesterday I received the Damascus chestnut, and she’s a beauty; just a pleasure to hold and look at. She came a little gritty, so I still need to flush out the joints, but I have a feeling I’ll be carrying her soon.
Not pictured are my oldest son’s Yeller CV and my youngest’s brown delrin.
I guess you could say we’re a ‘nutty family.:D

John

Fine knives you have right there.
Let us know how the damascus peanut holds its edge, please.

Fine knives you have right there.
Let us know how the damascus peanut holds its edge, please.

Will do.

Like the Case peanut! The damascus one is pretty cool too.

Thanks. There are 3 Case peanuts, the SS Stag, CV Chestnut, and Damascus Chestnut. The other is a Camillus 21.

I’ve been wanting a damascus ‘nut for quite a while, and was finally able to track one down. Like I mentioned above, I still need to flush the joints and I may touch up the edge, but I do plan on carrying it. The chestnut is a nice deep color, and I wish my CV chestnut was similar in color. Fit and finish is superb; no blade play and the snap is a nice mid range.

I started the peanut only challenge this past week. So far, it’s been more than up to the task. I’ve realized my cutting needs are not that extreme, and the little sliver of steel the peanut provides is more than enough. I have supplemented the CV peanut with the Camillus 21; so, a peanut is backing up a peanut. It’s more of a pocket jewelry thing then an actual need. Being from Camillus, NY, I feel a sort of obligation to carry it as a remembrance of what was once an excellent cutlery company. Both make excellent worry stones.

John

Last edited:

22-rimfire

Gold Member
The white bone or stag is the one that caught me eye. I have a whitish stag pictured in my post. I downsized a couple of months ago and have been carrying a Vic Small Tinker which is just a tad larger than a peanut. I carried the white stag peanut for a while, but when I had a larger knife, I seldom used it. So, I ditched the larger knife and ended up with the Small Tinker for regular carry now. I will still often have a modern with me, but not as often as I had originally expected as the Small Tinker does just about everything I need to do day to day.

22-rimfire

Gold Member
I have been handling the nobby jigged bone Rough Ryder. They call it "brown stag bone"... Think I like it. That is the brown one in my picture above.

Wurrwulf

Gold Member
The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here! :D

Received a true beaut in the mail today in the form of a slanted bolstered, federal shielded, ebony clad Peanut. The ebony isn't jet black; but the striations are subtle and elegant, they are well matched, and the transitions are very nice. Blades are well centered with great action, and there's only a tiny bit of sunlight shining through the liners.

20190320-182743-2.jpg

Now I just need a transplant wharncliffe blade to replace that pen blade...

The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here! :D

Received a true beaut in the mail today in the form of a slanted bolstered, federal shielded, ebony clad Peanut. The ebony isn't jet black; but the striations are subtle and elegant, they are well matched, and the transitions are very nice. Blades are well centered with great action, and there's only a tiny bit of sunlight shining through the liners.

20190320-182743-2.jpg

Now I just need a transplant wharncliffe blade to replace that pen blade...

I saw those last night Shawn. That ebony and shield are quite a pair.
Enjoy.

John