Cult Of The Watch Pocket Carry.

When wearing jeans I always watch pocket carry a small traditional. The knife carried depends on jeans brand, as I have noticed some jeans companies make their watch pockets smaller than others. For dept. store brands and Levi's, a Peanut, small Stockman/Schrade 108OT, tiny Muskrat, small Congress and the like just fit. For the jeans I started buying from All American, a Case Barlow fits nicely.

I left pocket carry my usual ttraditional with a bandanna, my keys are in my right pocket (too many) and would scratch the heck out of my knife. :eek: Even though I'm a righty I've learned to prefer my regular knife in my left pocket.

My Zippo rides in a belt pouch, I've carried it that way since I started using a Zippo, overfilled it and got a rash on my leg(!)

I am not able to wear jeans enough to adapt to this as a regular carry spot. When I do try to use it, I find the knife makes getting things in and out of my pocket a bit more cumbersome. So, I just keep my pocket knife in my right front pocket when I am wearing jeans, like I do with the dress/suit pants I have to wear during the week.

That's where I carry my small knives, and if I'm carrying a larger knife I still like to keep a tiddler there. Currently, I'm mainly keeping a Vic Classic there when it's my second knife, but it's where my Peanut will be going when I have one :)

Now I try to only wear pants that have a slot on the side to fit a cell phone in (not many kinds do) and they have no watch pocket.

Have you tried Carhartts?

Mine's been reserved solely for a Leatheman Micra for many years. Of course right below it is my traditional knife du jour.

Another favourite watch-pocket EDC of mine, though I've worn out a few watch-pockets with it :)

Watch pockets are great. I've used them to carry smaller jack knives, as well as Case mini trappers.
Funny thing is, I've never used them to actually carry a pocket watch. I have a couple old ones, that were my grandfathers, but never carried them. Maybe that should change.

Watch pockets are great. I've used them to carry smaller jack knives, as well as Case mini trappers.
Funny thing is, I've never used them to actually carry a pocket watch. I have a couple old ones, that were my grandfathers, but never carried them. Maybe that should change.

Me too. I have an old pocket watch given to me by my grandmother many years ago, when I was in my early teens. It originally belonged to her father, who was a railroader. I think modern styles have morphed enough, that the so-called 'watch pockets' in many of today's jeans are barely adequate to hold such a treasure. I'm not sure any of mine have a watch pocket wide and/or deep enough for it. I think, back in the day, many of these watches got carried in vest pockets instead, or perhaps in a front pocket of some bib overalls, such as an old-school railroader might've worn. :)

Last edited:
I wear Key brand jeans and there's always a Case Peanut or GEC Conductor in the watch pocket. They have large watch pockets ..... let's do a silly test and see what would fit (not in addition to the Peanut or Conductor, but in lieu of):

Case Texas Jack ..... check.
GEC #73 (single blade) ..... check.
GEC #23 (single blade) ..... check.
Buck 110 ..... check. (Told ya it was a big watch pocket)! ;)

(While the above is true, I'll guarantee ya the 23 or 110 will never find a home there)!

That was all for fun, but I really like the watch pocket for carrying a smaller knife and have been doing it for years. Good thread idea! :thumbup:

I have carried in the watch pocket before when I wore jeans. But more andmore these days over the past two years, I've been going to fatigue/cargo pants. So I've reverted to just dropping the peanut inthe pocket and shoving a loosely wadded up bandana down on top of it.

Carl.

Heck, I've carried an opinel #10 in my watch pocket. I have always carried my knives there, unless I have more than one knife on me.

I recently bought a new pair of Kirkland Jeans at Costco. They have a "watch pocket" that is a lot bigger than what I am used to. They call it a "cell phone pocket."

This is made to order for Knife Knuts! A 4" folder disappears in it.

I always carry my traditionals in my watch pocket...dont have to worry about it rolling around or going sideways. If its too big for the watch pocket it goes in my back pocket.

I tried watch pocket carry several years ago but I didn't like it because the vertical position of the knife would interfere with the bend in my waistline when I sat down. I found it rather unpleasant so I gave up on it until just a few years ago.

I stumbled upon some Wrangler Riggs jeans in a local hardware store and I was shocked by how big the watch pocket is. It occurred to me that I could carry just about any of my EDC knives horizontally in this watch pocket instead of vertically. I bought several pair and have been carrying my larger knives this way ever since. Ironically, I carry my smaller knives in the right front pocket just below the watch pocket.

At 3 1/2 inches closed my Ken Coats Jack rides real nice nestled at the bottom of the watch pocket and it doesn't interfere with the bend in my waistline. The knife is readily accessible by sticking my index finger in the pocket and tilting the knife upward.

In hand pic for size reference:

IMG_2121.jpg

Horizontal watch pocket carry:

IMG_2119.jpg

The "Contractor" (not Carpenter) version of these jeans has a cell phone pocket on right leg for those so inclined:

IMG_2124-1.jpg

Nope, can't do it.

My Grandfather passed away prior to my Senior year of High School. This was the man who taught me to fish & gave me my 1st pocketknife. Now he had quite a few knives, but there was 1 stag handled Case Whittler that was his favorite. Beautiful patina on the blade & a nice pattern of cross hatch marks from sharpening it over the years. Well I was very pleased to receive that knife when he passed. Carried it a lot & used it lightly. Seemed to fit the watch pocket on my Levi's perfectly.....Seemed.

So one evening my girlfriend & I were spending a romantic night on the beach in Carmel, California. When it got close to her curfew we gathered up our stuff & shook out our blanket. Upon arriving at my car I suddenly noticed the absence of Poppa's Case Whittler. I immediately grabbed the flashlight in the glovebox & started searching for it. Had to take a break to run my girlfriend home so we would not pass her curfew. After dropping her off I came back & searched for a good hour, got yelled at by my folks for being late. They lightened up when they found out why though. Went back the next morning & continued the search. Never found it.

Saw an article in BLADE magazine a while back that mentioned that that era of Case Whittlers was highly desired & worth around $350 or so. Just added more salt to the wound. Other than a few knives that have sentimental value to me (Gifts from my wife/boys, or belonged to my wife's Grandfather), I'd give every knife I have away to have that 1 back.

I carry a Case SBJ in Chestnut Bone with a CV Blade, I won it here on the forums around the beginnin' of the year and I've carried everyday since,

I routinely carry a peanut in my watch pocket, allows for another knife to be carried in the same side pocket. Depending on the jeans you have to be careful because I have had them fall out a few times. Luckily complete losses were avoided.

I've never used a watch pocket for a pocket knife, go figure.

It figures out about right to me. For the obvious reason shown below, I never carry a knife in my watch pocket.

100_3064.jpg

I've never used a watch pocket for a pocket knife, go figure.

It figures out about right to me. For the obvious reason shown below, I never carry a knife in my watch pocket.

100_3064.jpg

Back