• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cumaru burl! Never seen before, large blocks

Hey guys, i have a new wood in from the jungles of the Amazon, Cumaru burl!

Find the new woods here
http://greenbergwoods.com/new-cumaru-burl/

Dipteryx odorata: Cumaru is a wood that is only starting to be seen in the U.S, though it has been popular for decades in its native brazil for its incredibly hardness, density and durability. Often referred to as Amazonian Ironwood, it is commonly sold under the name Brazilian teak in the U.S, though it is not related to true teak. The wood tends to be a strong golden brown color with a well defined, feather like grain much like what is seen in desert ironwood. Color is highly variable though, and brown, black, red, orange and tan are all commonly seen, especially in the well figured burls.

This wood is renowned for its density, with many pieces here measuring in at over 1.2 g/cm^3. The wood also polishes to a fine, charotent finish like desert ironwood. Due its its naturally high oil content and wear resistance, the wood is perfect for kitchen and other high use handles were a long lasting shine and water resistance are paramount.

u2D5dMX.jpg

NOWGqQU.jpg

LAelEpa.jpg

I like it. There any skin irritation issues with the oil like cocobola?

No. Cocobolo is in the upper tier of REALLY IRRITATING woods. I rank this near the bottom for exotic woods. think purple heart or walnut. It has a distinctivle vanilla like smell, but it doesnt cause skin irritation as far as i can tell

I live in and work for a beach town. All of our boardwalks at the beach are built with
Cumaru. Let's of bare feet and no problems.

Back