1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cupped washers situation

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by emjay4248, Feb 1, 2018.

1. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes that's one. Also the Advocate and the Sliverax.
    I think the ones that weren't updated were all discontinued but I could be wrong.
    Or are they not updating the Mantra 1 and 2?

2. Cow51

Cow51

May 6, 2016
    I'm not aware of any updates to the Mantra 1 & 2, maybe the update is just for the 3.

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Just saw the thread today. Will call it to the attention of Customer service. FYI, letters to me are best sent to me?

sal

5-by-5, uxo2, sharkattacksw and 2 others like this.
  4. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Can we lock this thread-

[​IMG]

5. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    A frame lock would be most appropriate, yes...?

6. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    Like on my awesome Mantra.

Cow51 likes this.
  7. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi 5 X 5,

We don't normally lock threads unless there is no other solution. We try to be open and transparent so we keep them open. We do want you to share your thoughts, good or bad.

sal

Deinos, Mo2 and uxo2 like this.
  8. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    Yeah I've had inflammatory opinions too. Like how the Chinook goes through three models with multiposition clips then for unacceptable reasons comes out as tip up only.

9. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yeah I guess my experiences are worth even less than nothing because 20 Spyderco knives is about 4 times as many as I have, and I have more Spyderco than any other modern knife company. I'd say the experiences of a person with less knives who actually uses them is much more valuable than those of a person with many knives who rarely uses them. Real manufacturing issues would certainly be more likely to arise in the smaller but more used collection.

What are the improvements? I watched Eric talk on some of the SHOT Show videos but didn't quite get it. Just a hardened stainless steel insert behind the washers? That should fix dishing, I'd think.

I don't have a ball bearing Spyderco, but dishing is an issue that I've seen on other knives.

10. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
  11. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I have offered an apology to Sal Glesser of Spyderco and he accepted. I was very upset and felt like he, here we go again and I should have addressed this problem Directly to him and not posted it in the public forum. I didn't follow my own advice, Don't send an e-mail or call someone when you are angry. Walk away and come back later.

NoFair, uxo2, dogrunner and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Well done Emjay. Good advice.

I must admit that I had a "temper" problem for many years of my life. Taming Igor is a difficult but worthy effort. Do not let Igor out of the box.

Thanx much.

sal

NoFair, uxo2, L.H.S and 2 others like this.
  13. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Spoken like a true Brooklyn born New Yorker. LOL

14. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Sal, you're a class act and I've met you a few times and whether you remember or not you've always been friendly and helpful. You're one of the good Sal and you add to the community in many ways and the fact that you are reachable says a lot about you, Eric and the company. In my book you considered to be a friend and member of this growin' community, thanks for all you do sir.

BTW, I have an old Spyderco Copilot, remember those, I actually bought specifically because at the time it was air friendly, the screws came loose and I lost them but managed to save the original pocket clip. I'll email CS and follow the warranty protocol.

Just kiddin', well kinda, I'll send an email. Back to the thread, didn't mean to hijack it.

Let me close with this to the OP, it's always better to deal with CSM when your calm and if there's an issue escalate politely and you'll get better results than if you go off the deep end while tryin' to get warranty help, how's that sayin' go? You catch more flies with honey... . ;)

15. Norgman

Norgman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Sorry, duplicate post

4mer_FMF likes this.
  16. Norgman

Mar 7, 2018
    Possible Silver Bullet for Spyderco cupped washer issue!

There are several threads on BF that address and discuss cupped washer issues with Spyderco Southard and Domino knives. I plan to post my findings on multiple threads with the intent to help fellow BF members with what I have found to be a solution that has worked for me. I own 6 Southard C156GPBN knives and all of them had cupped washers when I disassembled them brand new from Spyderco. Their "new condition" flipping action varied from good to average. As you can tell I really like the Southard model since I own 6 of them and my concern over time is the action was going to degrade as the very thin (.005") stainless flat washers continue to cup and eventually fail entirely.

What I have determined is that the plastic bearing washer works just fine and is not a concern for wearing out, the issue as we have all noted is the cupping of the thin (.005") flat stainless steel washer the bearing washer rides on. My silver bullet is that I have found a replacement flat stainless steel washer that perfectly fits the Southard knife pivot and is .010" thick which is twice as thick as the factory .005" flat washer. The extra .005" thickness on each side of the pivot has not impacted the blade centering nor blade play and in my opinion improves the flipping action. Best of all, NO MORE CUPPING!!! I do not own a Domino but I bet a dollar to a doughnut this washer is the same size as the washers used in my Southard. It would be great if someone with a Domino could validate this for the team.

The replacement stainless steel washers can be found at Superior Washer & Gasket Corp. ( www.superiorwasher.com ), part number 300-1044-010. Their dimensions are, ID .219", OD .432", thickness .010". They cost $2.00 each. I have used them in a couple of my Southard knives and have flipped them 100's of times. It worked for me, I hope it works for you!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    @Norgman this thread is over a month old and Spyderco to my knowledge and understanding addressed this issue via CQI on all models this affected that are still in production. I don't know what or if there is any update for those with older models looking to resolve this via warranty we would need an answer from @Sal Glesser to that.

18. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    It seems he's just hitting up every cupped washer thread and pasting the exact same message. This is the second time I've seen it in the passed 10 minutes.

19. Norgman

Mar 7, 2018
    The Southard is no longer in production...

20. Norgman

Mar 7, 2018
    Trying to share my findings, is that a problem???