Cupped washers situation

The Southard is no longer in production...
And as a devoted Southard fan (2 brown, 1 black), I appreciate the info.

ETA: Subsequently discovered the context surrounding Norgman & his posts on this issue. Puzzling.

Last edited:
Trying to share my findings, is that a problem???

It is when you're promoting a company that isn't paying their dues(that's BF policy).

The fact that you're resurrecting old threads is against the rules as well.

What I meant to say was, I'm oh so sorry Mr. JNewell JNewell oh, so, sorry. I must have mixed up forum etiquette with the rules, please forgive my complete disregard for your feelings. ;)

Hell, I'm no mod so I won't try and tell you how to conduct yourself here, but I'm fairly certain you'll be hearing from one soon enough.

Last edited:
Thanks Norgman, sorry I couldn't provide you my washers separate from the kit and at a steep discount. FYI, those specs will not work on all Southards. Also to anyone ordering these, make sure that the supplier is able to provide them "full hard". Otherwise you will absolutely end up with grooves over time.

This thread has been resolved.

I have offered an apology to Sal Glesser of Spyderco and he accepted. I was very upset and felt like he, here we go again and I should have addressed this problem Directly to him and not posted it in the public forum. I didn't follow my own advice, Don't send an e-mail or call someone when you are angry. Walk away and come back later.

Damn why suddenly the entire spyderco subforum is about this cupped/dished washer issue?:oops:

I stated this thread in October of 2017. Where have you been.

Was busy gixing the cupped washers on my southand;)

Seriously man I am not picking on you but suddenly all threads on this topic are necro'd thats what I am wondering.

Kizer uses support washers like this. They are thick walled and inset so they don’t really have room to deform. Imho this is what type of support washers should be used.

Vn4fvDX.jpg

Was busy gixing the cupped washers on my southand;)

Seriously man I am not picking on you but suddenly all threads on this topic are necro'd thats what I am wondering.

To sum it up.... Norgman purchased my Southard upgrade kit. He then asked to buy a bulk order and sent me a price he wanted to pay. I politely declined his offer. This was 5 days ago.

In that time he incorrectly measured the washers I sent him, found some $20 shelf washers and fully tested them, and is directing folks to buy them rather than my $30 tried-and-true kit.

He has bumped every old thread with these washers he found, and went into the knifemakers forum and posted it in my very own (paid for) sale thread linked in my signature.

To sum it up.... Norgman purchased my Southard upgrade kit. He then asked to buy a bulk order and sent me a price he wanted to pay. I politely declined his offer. This was 5 days ago.

In that time he incorrectly measured the washers I sent him, found some $20 shelf washers and fully tested them, and is directing folks to buy them rather than my $30 tried-and-true kit.

He has bumped every old thread with these washers he found, and went into the knifemakers forum and posted it in my very own (paid for) sale thread linked in my signature.
That's BS. Hopefully you reported him. In the least he's going on my ignore list.

It is when you're promoting a company that isn't paying their dues(that's BF policy).

The fact that you're resurrecting old threads is against the rules as well.

Hell, I'm no mod so I won't try and tell you how to conduct yourself here, but I'm fairly certain you'll be hearing from one soon enough.

Actually, it's not, and no, you certainly aren't.

Incredibly vexatious. I want to thank you for doing this. I have a Southard that I love, but which hasn't opened correctly since it came out of the box due to this issue. I found the posts on your profile page and will follow up. Best luck and thanks for your help for these knives. :thumbup:

Actually, it's not, and no, you certainly aren't.

You quoted me for that? Dude hit up every single "cupped washer" thread and pasted the same shit. This thread may not have been 5 years old, but some others were.

A shout-out to therealPlatonicForms, who was in touch with me almost instantly after I sent an email inquiring about replacement washer kits.

You quoted me for that? Dude hit up every single "cupped washer" thread and pasted the same shit. This thread may not have been 5 years old, but some others were.

So you can't even get your facts straight?

A shout-out to therealPlatonicForms, who was in touch with me almost instantly after I sent an email inquiring about replacement washer kits.

So you can't even get your facts straight?

You do realize I was talking to Norgman, right? Not Platonic..? Or are you just puffing your chest out for kicks?

I fixed my mistake, Mister.

Happy? :)

Last edited:

Following up on my order here.

The Southard is a great knife. The 204P blade has a great profile for my uses and takes and holds a great edge. The build quality throughout is extremely high. Mine also sat unused because the action was so poor that attempting to flip the knife open was pure frustration. I opened it up a couple of years ago and found the washers deformed and the bearings somewhat crushed. I had never adjusted the pivot - this was from the factory.

This kit completely re-birthed my Southard. It now flips perfectly. It's a pleasure, rather than a frustration, to use the knife. I would highly recommend these parts.

In my knife, the bearing cage needed to be opened slightly to fit on the pivot. The washers did not require any thickness adjustment.

All my contacts with the gentleman who is offering these were speedy and courteous, and the washer kit was mailed almost immediately. I do recommend watching the install video before you install the parts. I have more than 20 years' experience fiddling with folders and there were a few pointers on this knife that I found helpful.

Highly recommended. (I received no compensation or benefits of any kind for this post.)

Thanks for the followup. My Southard has a fairly good action -- it's not glassy smooth, it's not even as smooth as the Positron, but it does flip very reliably -- and I've been thinking hard about a bearing replacement kit. Hearing such positive feedback makes it much more appealing.

There's so much right about this knife that the handful of things that are wrong just seem that much more aggravating in comparison.

Back