• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Cuscadi - Custom Scale Division - Bad Service, Mostly Good Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every one of you on this forum - who IS NOT a part of this attack on our First Amendment freedoms - should be appalled and let the administrator know it. Those here who are capable of changing, editing, or otherwise usurping other contributors' written words should be ashamed of their actions and removed from this site immediately.***

Yah, you keep on digging that hole you are in.

You should go and read that first amendment that you are calling on here. If just reading that doesn't clear things up for you, then do a bit more research on what it means. Here's a hint: comments and posts on private forums like this don't have much to do with the first amendment.

Your comment is so over the top I'd almost think you were just trolling, but I've seen enough unbelievable comments from people online that I guess you might be serious and think that somehow an admin is going to be 'shamed by their actions and removed from this site immediately' because they did admin stuff on these private forums.

I received my knife five days ago from Germany. I took pictures, made an account and posted it here.

I'm not a plant, an instigator or anything like that. I found Cuscadi on this site. I had a great experience with Cuscadi. I've been s#it on all day here.

So... someone removes my "Good" post from an area specifically designated for vendor reviews... then buries it in a "Bad" post related to the same vendor. Really? And YOU are all suspicious of ME?

You could cut the irony with a knife.

Standard policy on this site is to have one thread on a single topic at a time.

This is a private site, so first amendment rights do not pertain. But if they did, they would not have been violated, since I moved the content, but did not change it.

It seems this happens a lot on this site. I am truly and honestly upset that someone believes THEY have the right to usurp my post and FALSELY post it as "Bad." The site is CLEARLY manipulating POSITIVE information about Cuscadi to serve a biased narrative. Every one of you on this forum - who IS NOT a part of this attack on our First Amendment freedoms - should be appalled and let the administrator know it. Those here who are capable of changing, editing, or otherwise usurping other contributors' written words should be ashamed of their actions and removed from this site immediately.***
I am "appalled" by this post by a newbie who is "outraged" so easily. :rolleyes: What a fun member this will be. ;) Cuscadi, like many others in the past has had good and not so good reviews here and they are gathered in one place so it is easier for all to evaluate and choose whether or not to do business with them. Not all that complicated and certainly not nefarious. :thumbsup:

***Yeah, I'm pretty damn angry about it and have already contacted the administrator for review of this thread. I DID NOT post here. My very positive "Good" review of a respected, worldwide vendor were NOT intended to support someone else's personal negative issues. It seems this happens a lot on this site. I am truly and honestly upset that someone believes THEY have the right to usurp my post and FALSELY post it as "Bad." The site is CLEARLY manipulating POSITIVE information about Cuscadi to serve a biased narrative. Every one of you on this forum - who IS NOT a part of this attack on our First Amendment freedoms - should be appalled and let the administrator know it. Those here who are capable of changing, editing, or otherwise usurping other contributors' written words should be ashamed of their actions and removed from this site immediately.***

(I don't think you'll find many tenured forum members willing to stand with you against knarfeng knarfeng . There might be some abusive mods out there, but he doesn't qualify.)

I received my knife five days ago from Germany. I took pictures, made an account and posted it here.

I'm not a plant, an instigator or anything like that. I found Cuscadi on this site. I had a great experience with Cuscadi. I've been s#it on all day here.

So... someone removes my "Good" post from an area specifically designated for vendor reviews... then buries it in a "Bad" post related to the same vendor. Really? And YOU are all suspicious of ME?

You could cut the irony with a knife.

Standard policy on this site is to have one thread on a single topic at a time.

This is a private site, so first amendment rights do not pertain. But if they did, they would not have been violated, since I moved the content, but did not change it.

That's a really lovely Urban Trapper; I'm glad yours turned out well.

H Heavy_Kreem I don't know whether or not you're a plant, nor can I offer any advice as to how you might go about alleviating those suspicions; it doesn't really matter. Your positive experience doesn't contradict my original post. Photos of knives like yours are what led me to buy from Cuscadi myself.

The bad scale I received isn't the reason I posted the BAD review. Sometimes these things slip through the cracks. It's the masterclass in how NOT to handle a mistake that followed that prompted my post. Given the number of like experiences posted here I think we can say for certain that they have a track record of unacceptable customer service, at least in the event of a DOA product.

Since we're now sharing the thread though I can change the title to something a bit more fitting.

I think we can probably drop the subterfuge talk for now. That sort of squabbling back and forth just muddies the water.

Last edited:
The bad scale I received isn't the reason I posted the BAD review. Sometimes these things slip through the cracks. It's the masterclass in how NOT to handle a mistake that followed that prompted my post.
Was considering these guys for some scales. Not now. That's just unacceptable customer service, especially given that it's clear the product was defective. If you're within the window to dispute this with your credit card company that may be an option.

No question these guys make great looking scales that most people are happy with. I just don't want to take the chance of being stuck with some that don't work.

And just in case Heavy_Kreem happens to maybe, sometime, possibly communicate with Cuscadi, here's what you could tell them is the right move in this situation:
  • Admit this was bad service for T.L.E.
  • Refund his money on the defective scales, or come to some other equitable arrangement
  • Change their policy so that defective products will be covered. I get that this is hard for a small business to do. It's also unreasonable to expect customers to pay for defective products.

Last edited:
Why do you guys claim that the scale was defective? I don't have the OP's knife and i haven't personally tested whether the cuscadi's delivered scales fit or not on his knife. So i cannot confirm the OP's claim nor can anybody else. That simple.

At the same time i won't claim that the OP is telling the untruth. I want to believe that he is telling the full truth.

But i also want to believe that cuscadi tested the fitment and everything, before they shipped out the custom made product over the pond! I don't believe that they did not check the proper fitment prior to shipping.

Do you?

Since the OP had prior positive experience and results with Cuscadi too, it is imho just wrong to label this publicity thread with "Bad". They have thousands of happy customers, tens of thousands followers, and they have been in business for decades. They may well be the first and best company which comes to mind when discussing and recommending custom scales! I don't doubt that the OP has one of his several Cuscadi orders which hasn't completed yet to full satisfaction, but opening a thread calling them "Bad" is imho just wrong and unfair.

(…)

I am new to Cuscadi, just got my first orders completed and am very satisfied with the final situational result. Last month i ordered a G10 scale through a sloppy email (my bad) for a Spyderco knife and didn't know what to specify. I thought that naming the Spyderco knife model# would be enough! Since i am geman I called them on the phone and had a chat with the afaik senior. Very friendly informative talk, I was very pleased and confident after the talk.

So after a few more minor emails back and forth discussing G-10 texture and G-10 color (excellent email communication by them folks!!) my email order was processed when they found a time slot for the manual labor.

When i finally got the scale i had, at first, trouble fitting it on my knife! It was only after I removed all(!) screws from either handle side (right & left) that the scale started to fit perfectly in every way, every aspect, yes! The lesson i learned here was that handle standoffs (spacers, spacer tubes) can produce off-tolerances on their own, so one must make sure that they are loose (untightened) at the time of scale fitment!

Then the scale would click into place just fine.

Finally one can insert the screws from the left handle side, then from the right handle side, and start screwing them in/down. Done. Now all the checks passed:
  • centered blade? - check.
  • no blade play, up-down, side-side? - check.
  • smooth opening and closing? - check.
  • lock engages fully and securely? - check.
  • no fitment issues? - check.
In my case there was something unexpected though ;). The screw heads were not flush with the scale surface o_O. How come? Again a phone call. The machinist told me that their G10 warehouse stock in my very specific preferred color was slightly thinner than my original titanium scale (and i didn't realize until after the phone call lol) and that he opted to not drill out the screw hole deeper, which was technically the correct decision imho.

Yet i wasn't fully happy with how the screw heads were protruding by a millimeter or so.

After hearing that i wasn't fully happy, he offered to oblige, by re-shipping another G10 scale as 100% physically expected in the first place:rolleyes:, as long as i'd be willing to accept a slightly different G10 color for the replacement scale. In my case, tan instead of olive. Basically the machinist didn't have olive G10 stockware in the exact full thickness of the original titanium scale (it's a tank of a titanium knife btw!!).

Since he didn't ask me to return the olive scale, I happily:D accepted his offer and this completed my order to my utmost satisfaction. I mean, seriously, whether olive or tan, wtf cares both are similar colors and look nice!:)

Needless to say the tan G10 scale is in the exact full thickness and the screws now are all countersunk in the scale, the screw heads being flush with the scale plane, with no more protrusion, just perfect! :cool:

Funny thing, in the end i am liking the tan color better than the olive haha :p. So I followed up with an order of color-matching tan G10 backspacers (one smooth, one micro geared). Delivery has been fast and secure with DHL door to door tracking and signature.

I, for my part, call that excellent service, generous treatment in my case (since they didn't ask me to return the thinner scale), for a summa summarum wonderful customer experience hands down. I'll be a returning customer for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble Sorry to hear about your individual case. Hope you can sort it out with the fine folks from Cuscadi! Have you tried to give them a call? The junior is fluent in English.

I would think EVERYONE would and should care ... if I order olive I sure as hell don't want tan ...

and if they don't make them to the same thickness ...
1. they should include screws that fit their product ...
2. WHY IN THE HELL CAN THEY GIVE YOU A TAN SET BUT NOT MAKE YOU AN OLIVE SET?

none of that makes any sense ...

Last edited:
Why do you guys claim that the scale was defective? I don't have the OP's knife and i haven't personally tested whether the cuscadi's delivered scales fit or not on his knife. So i cannot confirm the OP's claim nor can anybody else. That simple.

At the same time i won't claim that the OP is telling the untruth. I want to believe that he is telling the full truth.

But i also want to believe that cuscadi tested the fitment and everything, before they shipped out the custom made product over the pond! I don't believe that they did not check the proper fitment prior to shipping.

Do you?

Umm... yes? They probably make and ship hundreds of scales each day, do you really believe they’d fit each and every one before it left their hands? These types of things happen when you’re dealing in volume, and I don’t think the scales not fitting properly is the main takeaway to begin with, it’s their customer service that had the OP irked.

I don't recommended cuscadi at all. Got copper shred cf scales for my chef and pm2, and it was just bad workmanship . On top of ruining the action, the chef scale fit so poorly that the blade hit the last standoff when folded. Unusable and unacceptable. Pm2 scales didn't fit right either, there was some blade rub that again ruined the action, and the lanyard hole was cut so big the whole knife rattled. Such a waste

Micarta scales from karbadize were a much better experience.

Umm... yes? They probably
Oki we have different beliefs, agreed to disagree. No problem i can take the heat ;).
But beliefs, claims, speculations, guesses, estimations, etc don't get us any further. Only facts. If the company responded in writing that they tested (QC, QA) the fitment on their own knife unit, then i'll believe it, because that's what i would test too, if i were a commercial service custom builder. Such a fitment guarantee would belong to my biz policy, and i'd even include photo proof of the fitment in the shipping confirmation email.

In my case, i wasn't very clear in my order details thru email submission, and talking on the phone about colors gets you only so far. Reality is that there are probably hundred shades of olive on the G-10 material supply market and hundred shades of tan and that there is an overlapping zone (color mixing zone) where either naming could be applied. Never mind. My order had required customer service (as was my subjective feeling at least), and when they called me back in geman language (my favorite! :p), they seemed eager to resolve my unhappiness on the spot, without excuses, without delay.

How it went: Instead of me suggesting potential action options ('hey i want you to … or to … or else i'll …') i let them do the talking and suggest friendly offers on their own ('would you like us to … or to …'), and indeed they came up with more agreeable solutions than what i had in mind and i picked the first one ('yes that one will do it thanks appreciated!'). And i felt right away that i was in good hands and that my case would complete to my full satisfaction and that i wouldn't need to open a paypal case or whatnot. GOOD? I am saying GREAT customer service, at least as i see it in my overall positive experience: with this, they have become my first goto address if i ever needed something again which they could provide or build.

Some of you estimated an arbitrary 90% chance number that all will be perfect with them. I estimate that the actual number is higher than that. :thumbsup: :cool:

Godspeed.

Last edited:

Do you?

They didn't. They've admitted they don't. They "check" it against a master scale. Just hold it up and eyeball the alignment.

20190613-172125.jpg

20190613-172419.jpg

20190613-172401.jpg

20190613-172333.jpg

There's the bulk of their side of the conversation. I said it didn't fit and asked if they did a test fit. They said they checked it against a master scale(so, no).

I chopped that first email as there's a long mess about fitting scales. Pretty standard and also completely unnecessary on the Spydiechef if they're actually done correctly.

They they proceed to tell me how to do their job for them and instead of offering a refund or replacement they offer a small refund to buy a round file, which I never got.

Now, K kreisler , please drop that holier-than-thou attitude of yours. I'm glad you're happy with that round of nonsense you went through, but that doesn't negate or diminish anyone else's experience or feelings about their service. You're acting like they couldn't possibly have done anything wrong or have made a bad product, based on the fact that they simply speak the same form of gibberish as you because even your example was that of bad customer service. :confused:

Last edited:
Now, K kreisler , please take that holier-than-thou attitude of yours and piss right the fuck on off.
Thanks for the screenshots. Why so defensive, rude, starting a fight? I didn't attack you. Sorry if you felt that way but that's your personal problem. Again, i didn't attack anyone. But you're picking a fight with your foul language and all. Thanks for the hit, *******. Shame. :confused:
(…)
Maybe they could have offered you a more generous service solution right off the bat, i get it. I had my heart pounding hard too when I realized etc etc. Oki i've said my piece, but I'll continue monitoring this thread for wrongings and chime in accordingly. :)

Thanks for the screenshots. Why so defensive, rude, starting a fight? I didn't attack you. Sorry if you felt that way but that's your personal problem. Again, i didn't attack anyone. But you're picking a fight with your foul language and all. Thanks for the hit, *******. Shame. :confused:
(…)
Maybe they could have offered you a more generous service solution right off the bat, i get it. I had my heart pounding hard too when I realized etc etc. Oki i've said my piece, but I'll continue monitoring this thread for wrongings and chime in accordingly. :)

You're picking the fight. You questioned whether or not the scale actually fit or not, at best calling me inept and at worst a liar. Why insult the abilities of another member, particularly one that has dealt with thousands of knives in a professional capacity, in defense of a company that you haven't claimed any link to?

I've taken apart hundreds of knives and put them back together without issue. I've taken my Spydiechef apart several times without issue. I changed the scales on the UKPK (also Cuscadi) without issue. I even authored a post that became a how-to(via another member) on fixing the blade centering on Benchmades. If I say it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back