• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

custom blade for a production folder?? please help

first off i don't know if this is in the right forum if it is in the incorrect location please correct my mistake thank you

OK so i had this idea on making a benchmade 710 custom(ized) because i got it really cheap with a busted blade my plan was to send it to bm and get a new blade for $25 and then send it to a very talented person (not sure if i am allowed to say whom because he hasn't replied saying he could do the work) to polish up all mating surfaces, cut the liners down to only the necessity (this is the immediate area around the axis lock), have it all replaced by custom micarta to long and arduous to explain specifications, then have him mill me a wave and round the spine oh and throw in a partially sharpened swedge

then i was thinking well this is gonna be a costly endeavor that will leave me with the best handle imaginable(for me), my favorite lock, a wave that i so dearly love, and a d2 blade

now d2 is a fairly decent steel but for the price range that this B**** will be its going to be sub par and will leave me with what will probably be an ugly blade

so i got to thinking that maybe one of you amazing custom guys can make me up a blade for an axis lock similar to a 710's in design with an added emerson style wave/ thumbramp and some super steel

i am thinking something stainless like m390 but ... better and/or different as i already have m390 i am interested in stuff like cpms125v cpm15v (i dont know if cpm15v is comparable to cpms125v as i have little steel experience) or k390 as i am inexperienced in steels like these pretty much take the one with the best edge retention and throw out some others that are similar or better

i say this because from what i understand its near impossible to get ahold of some cpmrex121 which correct me if i am wrong is one of the most bada** steels available

now is this practical or is this going to take a $25 replacement d2 blade + labor and work and turn it into a $400 dollar + just for the blade kind of deal

i mean what are we looking at as far as price range goes because i really have no idea what this kind of stuff could be on the pricing vs practicality side of the equation

please i am posting this for your knowledge as i am sure you know more than i

if i am horribly terribly mistaken on something please tell me so i can correct my mistake and/or ignorance

thank you for your time
and i hope you enjoy the rest of your day

I can do it.... I can wave your D2 blade and polish all surfaces. Im not comfortable doing a full reblade yet.

Back