• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom made knife sharpener - T.A.I.S 1 (SOLD)

BogdanS

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello dear brothers,

After a lot of preparations, failures and learning finally with God's good will i have the pleasure to present you the first knife sharpener out from our shop - T.A.I.S 1 - available for the market.

It is for sure not here to make a revolution into the 'industry' but i aimed for a super sturdy, very precise yet not complicated device that should provide excellent results for a decent price.

All components are high quality and there are no plastic or other 'failure/wear exposed' materials involved in it's build.
The CNC precision ground oversized rails 3/8" slide on CNC linear bearing pillow blocks for a smooth and precise action; in between the joint a thrust ball bearing assures no fristion and a tight fit. All moving pparts slide on bearngs.

The fittings (handle, stop bushings and sharpening stones supports) are hand turned from some nice and sturdy vintage micarta. The tightening bolts and inserts in these are made out of solid brass and are also hand turned.

For the base i used exotic padauk wood for a luxurious look :D

The 'no tools' blade securing system is fast and easy to use. Standard the angle can go down as low as 10 degrees but on request it can go even lower in this area the setup being able to handle even the thinnest angled blades. From my tests the sharpener can handle any normal blade length knife including bigger chef knives.

Almost any kind of stones for sharpening systems on the market fit this setup. It does not come with stones but on request we can of course handle this in case you do not have/want to buy your own to best fit your needs.

As being the first sale we have a special price for the T.A.I.S 1 - 145 usd (please ad 10 usd for shipping).

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

11.jpg

Sure thing dear brother - i'll handle that ;)

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

I'm definitely interested in seeing this....
I just bought an atoma 1200 diamond plate
I hand grind low angles, so knowing/seeing what the lowest angle, and largest blade would be Wonderful. :D

Here we go dear brothers,

An 'in use' short video - if anything still remains unanswered please let me know and i'll make more vids up until everything clears up ;)
Please note that for the test i used my tool box folder that is heavily abused (as it can be seen it is badly chipped and of course dull from all not knife intended jobs) hence no cutting test was done in the end as 3 minutes and 2 grits (i used 320 and 400 here) were of course not enough to make it razor sharp :)

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer - i just had it tested for this specific thing and it looks like 10 -11 degrees per side would be the lowest spot it can reach without any modifications

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

Thank you very much dear friends!

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

That is an excellent design... Looks like it'll make life easy...Nice work..
Thanx for sharing the videos too!!!!

Are there/will there be more available?
Hello dear brother and thank you for your message!

One can be made on request if interested ;)

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

Back