Cutco cutlery

A job i recently partook in, lasted me all of about 40 hours. It is basically a scam. Over the 40 hours I worked I made about 300 dollars. Sadly the 140 dollar knife set takes a big chuck out the profit. The "base pay" is in and of itself a scam.

They tell you for every 30-45 minute demo you do you get paid X dollars. This is a LIE. For every 1 hour demo, your drive time, your "PDI" (personal daily interaction, basically your boss telling you how best to con people), you get paid 12 dollars, which turns out to be for every 2-3 hours you get paid 12 dollars, and you have to pay gas to drive yourself to peoples houses. Also, their are semi-required "team meetings" and "team activities" basically meaning you have to give more time.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is they want you to lie. Their knifes are not the best in the world. 440A is not the best steel in the world. The knifes are mediocre, proabably worth 400 dollars for their 950 dollar set. That being said, the training was very interesting (although you don't get paid for it.)

Of the 15 or so people I meet through cutco at least 11 lasted less then a month, and only 1 has done well for herself, if you want to make money, get a real job. If your after sales training, it may be worth your time to get hired, sit through the training courses, and when it comes time to sign a contract, bail.

Cutco/Vector Marketing ISN'T a pyramid scheme and it isn't a scam, at least not in the way some are implying above. Overpriced? You betcha. Shoddy quality? I won't fight you on that. But a pyramid scheme? No, not in any rational understanding of the term. Hate Cutco and Vector Marketing and their sales techniques all you want, but do so on the basis of their knives, not on the basis of some half-baked allegations that don't hold water.

"Half-baked allegations"? I think that's a pretty harsh assessment of the info presented here; some posters here are speaking from personal experience, or from knowing someone who was involved with CutCo.

"Rational understanding of the term"? My opinion is this: any time the prospective salesperson is having to put up a lot of up-front capital, so to speak, just to get started, that money's going in SOMEONE'S pocket. Then you're asked to not only sell product, but figure out who you know that "might be interested" in selling as well, sign them up and get a little bonus . . . that's two indicators of a pyramid-type business model, as far as I'm concerned.

When I joined the navy in 1985, we had a rather long class several days before we got out of bootcamp about these and other kinds of schemes. Some of our guys still got suckered, some more than once. It's amazing how deceptively attractive some of these things are.

chuckschilling - please don't take what I've said here as disrespect; I felt the need to clarify these issues. I normally won't debate these kinds of things, but there are still folks like ezzekial out there, who have financial needs, and find this kind of thing attractive, at least on the surface of things. If someone wants to try their hand at this kind of job, that's fine, they just need to be aware of what they're getting into. (By the way, I admire ezzekial for wanting to get out there and work. :thumbup: I know of too many young folks in local colleges here who refuse to do anything to support themselves.)

thx - cpr

Back