Cutco Kabar outdoorsman

I'm at Niles flea market and I ran into a Cut Co booth and saw this flyer. Looks like a sweet knife and I want one!

Last edited:
Awesome looking blade!!

Did they have any there, or even say when they will be released??

My 2 cents on this is that it's a hollow ground blade. Great if you want a skinner, Meat slicer but can be a bit too thin at the edge for a hard use knife.
I think a FFG is best with a Flat grind to secondary bevel being second.

I know these "Bushcraft" patterns are all the rage now. We just use to call them a field knife.

Let's us know how it works you? It may work for you.

Sweet stuff 710, i searched the Ka-bar site but didnt see them, maybe i didnt look hard enough though....

My 2 cents on this is that it's a hollow ground blade. Great if you want a skinner, Meat slicer but can be a bit too thin at the edge for a hard use knife.
I think a FFG is best with a Flat grind to secondary bevel being second.

I know these "Bushcraft" patterns are all the rage now. We just use to call them a field knife.

Let's us know how it works you? It may work for you.

The older Potbellys were hollow ground as well i believe, and that was a bigger blade that lots of people used for heavy chopping... Including me... I used mine HARD and never had any issues. Chopping, batonning, slicing... It worked.

I do prefer a FFG or high Saber most the time though, but i think people should do just fine with this. Its a 5.5" blade.... Now if it were a 10" heavy chopper with a hollow grind it may be more of a concern.

Of course this is just my opinion, and im no knife maker.

Just read this is 440A steel ??? Found it on the Cutco site...

Well im less interested now... Just being honest..

I hope the list price is not 189 like it says at that bottom of the page for 440A steel....

Please explain to me what this model can do any better than a Becker BK-16 can.

Just read this is 440A steel ??? Found it on the Cutco site...

Well im less interested now... Just being honest..

I hope the list price is not 189 like it says at that bottom of the page for 440A steel....

440A is not my first pick.
I do use 440C extensively and SOG uses steels close to 440 A or B for many of their knives.

It's the hollow grind more than the steel that I give concerns too. If the 440A is HTed properly. Which I'm sure this company can do.

440A is used extensively (exclusively?) in CutCo's kitchen stuff.

Ugh.... 440A. Looks like a nice design otherwise. I'd like too see it in KaBar's 1095CV.

Here we gooooo ...

While you're here could you get my set of 1977 Cutco knives resharpened for free like they promised me in 1977?

Don't get me wrong - they've been a good set of knives. I actually sold CutCo knives in college at the time. But dadgummit why can't I get them resharpened for free ... the serrated ones anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we gooooo ...

While you're here could you get my set of 1977 Cutco knives resharpened for free like they promised me in 1977?

Don't get me wrong - they've been a good set of knives. I actually sold CutCo knives in college at the time. But dadgummit why can't I get them resharpened for free ... the serrated ones anyway.

You can. Just send them back to that factory(not really free cause you pay shipping there and $10 for return if theres more than 3) by filling out the link I posted at the bottom of this. You could also have a rep come out to your house to do it for you by going to the second link I posted and putting your zip code in and calling the office to set up an appointment, but you'd probably have to wait until May since most offices only operate during the summer. Also, be warned that the second option comes with a 20 minute demo after the sharpening where the person who comes out will try to sell you something else at a price higher than you should be paying if you don't tell them you're not interested in the beginning.

www.cutco.com/customer/returnRepair.jsp

www.cutco.com/customer/offices.jsp

That being said, if you haven't had them sharpened for 37 years, you should probably send them to the factory haha

I have been wondering why Cutco never gets mentioned on these forums. I have kitchen knives from them that are still sharp after 40 years of use. You can get them sharpened for free but I never saw the need, the Double D grind is simply amazing. Cutco will also replace it at half price if you break it using it as something other than a knife. I hear (read) all the BS about different steels, on these forums, and am not competent to tell the difference, and I suspect most readers are not either. I can, however, tell you these stainless steels are harder to sharpen and high carbon steel doesn't rust if you take care of it properly. I also have a fifty + year old hunting knife made from a file by my father and it has not rusted but has a great patina and holds an edge better than modern stainless steels like my Ontario Knife Co. Blackbird SR5, which takes a lot of work to sharpen. I am not a steel snob and think most steels will do the job and outlast the typical user.

Obviously, my experience does not match opinions on this forum. I have the Cutco Hunting knife with Double D edge. It is my second one, the first was stolen after being purchased in 1971 and used for 25 years. It is sharper than any other knife I have ever used but I don't cut wood with it, it is for flesh and self defense. The Blackbird prepares my fire wood, it is a great wedge, lever and pry bar and all around tool, on my farm, for things that are hard on knives. If Cutco thinks the 440 steel is adequate I am sure it is, and that I will never be at risk because of that choice of metal. The purpose of an outdoors man's knife is to NOT FAIL when needed and Cutco has never let me down. I don't believe the blade is fragile because it is hollow ground, it is steel after all.

I'm going to buy this Cutco knife and if it is half as good as their hunting knife my Grandson will have to leave it to his Grandson.

I have been wondering why Cutco never gets mentioned on these forums. I have kitchen knives from them that are still sharp after 40 years of use. You can get them sharpened for free but I never saw the need, the Double D grind is simply amazing. Cutco will also replace it at half price if you break it using it as something other than a knife. I hear (read) all the BS about different steels, on these forums, and am not competent to tell the difference, and I suspect most readers are not either. I can, however, tell you these stainless steels are harder to sharpen and high carbon steel doesn't rust if you take care of it properly. I also have a fifty + year old hunting knife made from a file by my father and it has not rusted but has a great patina and holds an edge better than modern stainless steels like my Ontario Knife Co. Blackbird SR5, which takes a lot of work to sharpen. I am not a steel snob and think most steels will do the job and outlast the typical user.

Obviously, my experience does not match opinions on this forum. I have the Cutco Hunting knife with Double D edge. It is my second one, the first was stolen after being purchased in 1971 and used for 25 years. It is sharper than any other knife I have ever used but I don't cut wood with it, it is for flesh and self defense. The Blackbird prepares my fire wood, it is a great wedge, lever and pry bar and all around tool, on my farm, for things that are hard on knives. If Cutco thinks the 440 steel is adequate I am sure it is, and that I will never be at risk because of that choice of metal. The purpose of an outdoors man's knife is to NOT FAIL when needed and Cutco has never let me down. I don't believe the blade is fragile because it is hollow ground, it is steel after all.

I'm going to buy this Cutco knife and if it is half as good as their hunting knife my Grandson will have to leave it to his Grandson.

Could you shoot me an email? I could give you about $75-$80 free if you placed your order through me.

Back