Cutco Kabar outdoorsman

Is this even allowed on bf???

This is just my opinion, im not a mod, but....

I dont think it is allowed by basic new members without a dealer or even knife-maker subscription..... Cutcorep's first post was deleted, yet he is still trying to get people to order knives through him. there has been people who got infractions just for showing a knife they made without a knifemaker subscription... I got an infraction just for thanking a guy for a coupon to a store that doesnt support BF... So a new guy coming on here trying to get people to order knives from him without the correct subscription is wrong IMO... If he wants to do that he should support the forum first.

I have been wondering why Cutco never gets mentioned on these forums. I have kitchen knives from them that are still sharp after 40 years of use. You can get them sharpened for free but I never saw the need, the Double D grind is simply amazing. Cutco will also replace it at half price if you break it using it as something other than a knife. I hear (read) all the BS about different steels, on these forums, and am not competent to tell the difference, and I suspect most readers are not either. I can, however, tell you these stainless steels are harder to sharpen and high carbon steel doesn't rust if you take care of it properly. I also have a fifty + year old hunting knife made from a file by my father and it has not rusted but has a great patina and holds an edge better than modern stainless steels like my Ontario Knife Co. Blackbird SR5, which takes a lot of work to sharpen. I am not a steel snob and think most steels will do the job and outlast the typical user.

Obviously, my experience does not match opinions on this forum. I have the Cutco Hunting knife with Double D edge. It is my second one, the first was stolen after being purchased in 1971 and used for 25 years. It is sharper than any other knife I have ever used but I don't cut wood with it, it is for flesh and self defense. The Blackbird prepares my fire wood, it is a great wedge, lever and pry bar and all around tool, on my farm, for things that are hard on knives. If Cutco thinks the 440 steel is adequate I am sure it is, and that I will never be at risk because of that choice of metal. The purpose of an outdoors man's knife is to NOT FAIL when needed and Cutco has never let me down. I don't believe the blade is fragile because it is hollow ground, it is steel after all.

I'm going to buy this Cutco knife and if it is half as good as their hunting knife my Grandson will have to leave it to his Grandson.

Johnson,
Welcome to the forums.
Please send your knives in to have them sharpen at the factory. After 40 years I am sure they could use a tune up!

Found a video of an unboxing!
[video=youtube_share;jodozl4LyOA]http://youtu.be/jodozl4LyOA[/video]

oddly it looks like a BK15/16/17 handle, and a kinda BK2 blade but with old style steve johnson hollowgrind

could be interesting for some people

esp those wanting a stainless tweener

All I can wonder is if those zombie green scales would fit on my bk15 :D

If MSRP is ~$180, what do you figure street will be?
I can't imagine anyone shelling out more for this one than a tweener.

If MSRP is ~$180, what do you figure street will be?
I can't imagine anyone shelling out more for this one than a tweener.

$40 and I'm in but I bet it'll be about double that. Not super interested in that steel either.

Well, call me late to the party here, but i love this knife. Yes, it certainly looks like the handle is a LOT like a BK15/16/17. That is a good thing---as long as Ethan Becker knows & has given them his blessing &/or $$$$$$$$$$$. Love the blade shape. Uber expensive though.

Back