1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cutler versus Knives?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Wavicle, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I recently took photos of all my CRK birth cards and something caught my eye when looking at them. I searched the forum here and did not find anything so I thought I'd post this question for discussion:

Two of the eighteen cards I have use the term "CUTLER" under the Chris Reeve name at the top of the card. The remaining sixteen use the term "KNIVES" as shown below.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's odd because I thought maybe they were changing the name but the dates make no sense as there is a mix over time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    loon#r likes this.
  2. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    My guess is older cards vs newer cards. I don't think the birth date is necessarily related to the time the card was printed. The Mnandi and 25 being the older cards.

Side note, the whiteout bugs me. I'm thinking of asking to have correct cards sent to me. Not sure yet.

3. Jimbo75

Jimbo75

Dec 10, 2007
    The cutler one has a different signature?

4. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    From these examples the Cutler card has the knife name written on it while the Knives cards has the knife name pre-printed. Maybe the Cutler cards are older ones that they use on the more unique knives or if they run out of the pre-printed cards on the more common ones like the Inkosi. Just a wild a** guess on my part...

5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    All my knives are fairly old(very newest is 2011 and most much older) and all have Cutler

I would say old stock , that still may be used from time to time

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. Goetztalon

Goetztalon

Feb 8, 2016
    Mine says cutler on one side and knife on the other. January 2016 made.

7. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    Cool.
    While I did not notice until today, I can add to the riddle.
    I've got a card that says Knives on the front and Cutler on the back.
    (DOB: November 7,2013)
    Do we have a code here?

8. ctrsurf

ctrsurf

Feb 1, 2012
    I wondered about this and can help as I recently got down to the bottom of this and received an official reply.
    Part of my email to CRK:

I recently purchased a Small Inkosi from a forum, and do not doubt its authenticity, but have a question about the card. The birth card appears slightly different from what I've seen, like the written/not printed blade info:
    [​IMG]
    I know that you cannot authenticate knives via email, but can you please confirm that this birth card is a format that you use? The signature looks different from older ones too, but I think that changed last year.

Thanks heaps, and keep rocking away!!

CRK's response:

Congratulations on your new Small Inkosi!
    That is the correct birth card.
    We introduced the Inkosi after we had introduced the printed birth cards and we did not have any birth cards printed with Inkosi so we have been using blank birth cards.
    We didn't get new cards printed because we are introducing new packaging and birth cards and we decided to use up as much existing stock as we could.
    We hope that you enjoy your Small Inkosi and that it serves you well.

Here's other examples I've seen:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Sounds like there will be new cards AND boxes very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

416isToronto likes this.
  9. JordonC2

JordonC2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2010
    OK, but does anyone know what CUTLER means?

10. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    A cutler is a maker of cutlery.

Danke42 likes this.
  11. JordonC2

JordonC2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Is it really that simple?
    My last name is Cutler and I never did anything with a knife but cut stuff, mostly myself.
    I do think it’s neat when the card has my name on it. I tell my wife it’s a sign that I should buy it.

12. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    possible some ancestor was a cutler-you got the name for free, but the interest in blades lives on. Many last names were derived from someone's profession.

13. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    What is the time frame of Chris' leaving the business... I wonder if it's a shift from a hall of fame "Cutler" to a family business with relative unknowns. I mean no disrespect to any of the Reeves, or to lessen their contributions or involvements... Like" & sons" to "company" . Just a thought....

14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Your job used to be your family name. Cooper, Baker, Smith, Cutler, all trades.

If you ever want to make knives you've got a leg up!

nickpp likes this.
  15. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Cutler: A person who makes, sells, or repairs knives and other cutting instruments.

16. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    What is everyone’s opinion about the signature on the cards when Chris left the company years ago?

Printed signatures have always bugged me a little, because it is against the entire concept of one’s signature. However, when that person doesn’t even work at the place, it seems like a double-whammy.

I think it would be classier to eliminate it. Just my opinion.

T. Erdelyi and Wavicle like this.
  17. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    Doesn't bother me, but it may be time to move to Tim's signature. He likely will be running it for some time.

kidcongo likes this.
  18. nickpp

nickpp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2005
    I believe Anne did the signature for years.....

kidcongo likes this.
  19. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I’m with kidcongo on this- eliminating the signature may be a better approach at this point.

kidcongo likes this.
  20. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I agree with removing the signature. Since the knives are not all inspected and signed by hand just go with an informational card.

kidcongo likes this.