D2 from China? Considering a Civivi

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by nutsforknives, May 18, 2020.

1. nutsforknives

nutsforknives

May 1, 2010
    I'm looking over Civivi's lineup and they have some really great designs, but they are mainly in D2 from an unknown source. Anyone have experience with these knives? I feel like good D2 makes the cut (no pun intended) for something I would carry, but low quality or poorly heat treated D2 is basically junk. If anyone has tried out one of these Civivi D2 knives or similar, how easy is it to sharpen? Does it hold an edge well? Do you polish the edge, or leave it coarse? Would a Civivi make a good beater/gift knife? For me, it's gotta do better than 8Cr13MoV or AUS-8 to get pocket time.

Kaizen1 likes this.
  2. Skar

Skar

Mar 24, 2020
    I recently purchased the stratum.
    I like the knife yet I bought it as a pretty gentleman's knife.
    I don't know how it sharpens as I haven't used it alot.

I do think the rat 1 in D2 is a fantastic knife.
    If you are interested in a knife that can take punishment and look great.
    It's also available in carbon fiber.

3. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I wouldn’t worry about Civivi and their quality. It’s the questionable companies you should worry about.

I have owned several Civivi knives. They are great! The Damascus is excellent too!!

4. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Civivi does a really nice job. Fit and finish tends to be excellent. Action is consistently good. I've had three of their knives now in 9Cr18Mov and one in D2. Having only had poor-quality examples of 9Cr18Mov in the past from companies like Schrade, the former blew my mind. Both Civivi and Real Steel do a fantastic job with 9Cr18Mov. The D2 is holding up well but I haven't had as much time with it.

I've had a bunch of knives in Chinese D2 now. My Civivi Exarch is just the latest. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in Chinese D2 across major brands. It's solidly "okay". An issue that's been raised by critics, including some of the YouTube cut testers who've done more controlled testing, is that Chinese D2 doesn't stack up against the reputation earned by more expensive American knives in D2. The Chinese D2 might not be as tightly controlled and I wouldn't expect mass-produced budget knives at these prices to have the same care in heat treatment. So long as you understand that, you'll be fine. You'll get decent edge retention at a reasonable price. Versus a few years ago, a lot of these knives are pretty amazing for the price.

5. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Civivi knives are very good quality. I own one and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Civivi is the budget line of WE knives, so you shouldn’t worry about getting some junk steel with a D2 stamp on the blade.

6. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Not just Civivi but I've heard good things about Bestech, Artisan, CJRB (Artisans budget line), Real Steel, and Steel Will providing good bang for the buck knives in D2.

I will also second the idea of an Ontario Rat 1 or 2 in D2. The price is right on par with the above makers. I own 3 Rat 1s in D2.

7. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    My Steel Will Intrigue knife has excellent D2 and is made in China. It's <$50. I don't baby it. I believe it's a harder than my Taiwanese D2 from Ontario, and it has not chipped. I use it in the kitchen too. It has a great full flat grind.

8. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Add me to the chorus, my Civivi knives have given me no qualms about buying more of them. I beat on my franken-Naja quite a bit and it has done very well.

9. dkb45

dkb45

Dec 16, 2012
    Civivi makes a great knife. They use actual within spec D2 and heat treat it well. Benchmade might have slightly better D2, but at less than half the price you're getting nearly as good performance. I've not found it to be as hard to sharpen or as chippy as Ganzo D2, but it takes both a fine and toothy edge like a good D2 should. Civivi also grind their blades to actually perform, so you might be able to surpass the performance of most D2 knives out there.

Artisan, Steel Will, and Twosun do as well with D2. Steel Will does better than the rest on grinds, but Twosun has the best HT, despite having awful grinds for performance (not super deep grinds with nearly 4mm stock). Artisan grinds better than Twosun, but their HT is a little softer usually.

10. Danno4017

Danno4017

Jan 8, 2007
    It’s up to the individual but I am not interested in buying anything made in China at the moment.

Blackf77t, PB3366 and Mr.Wizard like this.