Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

Not much news to report. Carried this knife again for this month. Stands up as always. Beauty and function and a nice worn-in look. Just shy of five years of ownership and likely 2 years of carry in that time amongst my other knives. It is the most carried knife I own.

I thought I’d share some close-up and other details of where the knife is at in April 2022 as an update to this thread.

3XquyjC.jpg

ZHggSaw.jpg

R3ocxpA.jpg

ldD9a4t.jpg

Knife broken down (nothing but metal and one ceramic ball!!).

ndKA2HT.jpg

Lockbar face still just fine. Heat treatment was spot on:

gAe49FK.jpg

gVM8BDY.jpg

ru8Boi5.jpg

SDTyOpL.jpg

Lockup is perfect, still:

aYzCav1.jpg

77tm778.jpg

VXgNPKE.jpg

Slabs made a quarter apart. A12 and C12. Note that I have a lanyard filler pin I bought off Amazon.

KNV1425.jpg

Centering is perfect, still:

tVmz98X.jpg

vo5ZuDB.jpg

Thanks for looking!

d9VG2xj.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally joined the club! I’ve been following this thread for years, and have wanted to have a large Damascus to edc. It seems that every time I had the funds, nothing was available! Well, everything finally came together and I got this beauty last Thursday! I’ve been carrying it and using every day since. I’ll update as it breaks in. Thank you Kidcongo for inspiring me, and all of us! It’s going to be a great edc, I can tell already…View attachment 1829298View attachment 1829300View attachment 1829301

Using this is so satisfying. I can't believe how sharp it is. I do have question for this group. I put some ren wax on the handle and accidentally got some on the blade. I rubbed it to try and get it off and I think I just spread it around. Not the whole blade is dull. Any ideas on how to get it off?

IMG_6205.jpeg

I’ve been following this thread from the beginning and can’t stop watching it!
At this point I’m not sure I’ll ever actually join in but if anything could kick a Zaan out of my pocket it would be a large PJ raindrop 21. I’m still not sold on the 31…

I’m curious as to Why you’re not sold on the 31’s? The umnumzaan has had the ceremic ball lock interface for 14 years now? Is there something else about the 31 you don’t like?

I’m curious as to Why you’re not sold on the 31’s? The umnumzaan has had the ceremic ball lock interface for 14 years now? Is there something else about the 31 you don’t like?
Truth is there was actually nothing I liked about the two I’ve handled. I’m a true fan of the 21, inkosi was a hard pass, the Mnandi may be the best pocket knife ever made, and well my love of the Umnumzaan is well documented. The 31 does nothing for me. It is a step back from the 21 in being a Sebenza and not even in the same ballpark of the Zaan so…no thanks.
These are of course just my opinions and worth everything you paid for them. I like what I like and dislike the rest.

Well, I finally joined the club! I’ve been following this thread for years, and have wanted to have a large Damascus to edc. It seems that every time I had the funds, nothing was available! Well, everything finally came together and I got this beauty last Thursday! I’ve been carrying it and using every day since. I’ll update as it breaks in. Thank you Kidcongo for inspiring me, and all of us! It’s going to be a great edc, I can tell already…View attachment 1829298View attachment 1829300View attachment 1829301
Beautiful user! I love the ladder Damascus.

Using this is so satisfying. I can't believe how sharp it is. I do have question for this group. I put some ren wax on the handle and accidentally got some on the blade. I rubbed it to try and get it off and I think I just spread it around. Not the whole blade is dull. Any ideas on how to get it off?

View attachment 1831105
For wax isopropyl alchocol would likely work better than windex. Either won’t harm the etch. Warm the blade up with some hot water first.

Back