damascus integral

Nick, this is one of my favorite integrals. I think you nailed everything perfectly; damascus, lines, proportions, and execution. The butt cap pulls everything together and the finial is a great touch.

Are the posted photos your own? If they are you did a good job :).

Happy birthday, you old bastard :).

Well, I may have to take that last statement back. I have recently decided that higher praise than that of Mr. Roberts' is most difficult to come by!

Thanks Buddy, your check will be in the mail.

The photos aren't great, but since I took them, they are a giant leap from my previous attempts which almost vaguely showed a knife somewhere in the photo.

I'm sure Coop can capture everything in one shot that is taking me 5, but here is a better detail shot of the way the bolster is fluted. :) The lines look kind'a rough, but that's only because I etched the blade quite deep, and they appear a lot bigger in this shot than the 0.015" width that they are in hand.

Thanks!

standard.jpg

NickWheeler said:
Well, I may have to take that last statement back. I have recently decided that higher praise than that of Mr. Roberts' is most difficult to come by!

Well, I see how you are. My praise ain't good enough eh? :D

NickWheeler said:
I'm sure Coop can capture everything in one shot that is taking me 5......<snip>
My on-camera delete button has a wear pattern in it. Five shots to get one that looks great? You're makin' me nervous. :eek: :thumbup:

I'll bet you have a pretty good camera, though... ;)

Coop

Here and I been thinking you haven't been busy except for running around with the ladies lately Nick. I like it bud - now for THE question - how many journeyman knives are complete?

That is some beautiful work Nick.Your work has sure shown a great deal of diversity lately,the sign of a true craftsman.

Elegant, refined and perfectly balanced visually, perhaps my favourite hunter of yours todate. Congrats Nick :thumbup:

Stephen

Nick,

The knife has arrived safely, and exceeds my every expectation. :cool:

Just lovely work!

Thanks,

Peter

Chuck Gedraitis sent me a message that made me realize I left part of the story of this knife's history out! Sorry, I wasn't trying to hide anything, it just slipped my mind!

It was regarding the pattern NOT squeezing down into the tip, something of which I definitely strive for in my damascus blades.

So here is exactly what I told Chuck.

"Man, you made me realize that even after posting the knife in two forums, I forgot to tell the story about it!

I actually had spent a couple days making the steel and forging it all together into an 8" fighter. When I quenched it, I got a little tiny bit of warp to one side. Like a dumb-ass, I tried to straighten it and got overzealous. It was only off about 0.040", but I didn't want to pattern to be different side-to-side, from grinding more on one side.

Anway, the fighter turned into a hunter/utility that day! I was so mad I was just going to toss it, but a friend told me to make it into a hunter... so I gave it a shot."

Just wanted to make sure I kept the air clear!!! :D

Back