Damascus Leek?

Have these started showing up? Any suggestions on where to pre-order? I find myself really wanting one.

Thomas said they were shipping the first of this week. They should
start showing up pretty quickly.

mike

Ouch on the $10.49 shipping charge though. That's mildly overpriced shipping, to put it nicely, for a single knife.

EDIT - I guess you could order another knife to put you over $100 to get it shipped free.

I don't know shipping is getting more and more expensive it seems almost daily. I just ordered a pair of jeans and a shirt from this place I order clothes from in California (I live in FL). Anyway the shipping in that past as been around $7 for UPS ground and about 11-12 for the "rush" shipping. Now it was $11 and $22 for thr rush shipping.

Gone are the days of $5 for priority mail. :(

Well I just ordered from them along with a few Opinels to bump the price up over $100. Hopefully they actually have it in stock and I have the knives before the week is out.

Hopefully they actually have it in stock and I have the knives before the week is out.

Has UPS come to see you yet?

I found a few other places that are offering them, even
one with my namesake. 2 Brothers Knife co. :D Thought
that was funny.

I need to pick one of them soon before they're all gone.

mike

Thomas,

I understand this was a small production run... have you mentioned how small..? Also, are the pieces numbered? Thanks for reading/responding! :)

You carbon steel lovers will most likely enjoy this one. I've had one a while now that Thomas told me to keep hush about but now he lifted that restriction since its available finally.

Its a real beauty to behold and it doesn't perform half bad either.

I really like carbon steel. My only prediction into the future is that 500 just won't ever be enough.

STR

Does anyone have any specs on the maker or quality of the damascus?

Also STR how does it hold up to the AO? I was curious if it may be softer etc.

Blue Ridge wanted this. Kershaw was asked to do it for them by them as I understand it. Blue Ridge asked Kershaw if they had a vendor and Kershaw didn't so Blue Ridge Cutlery set up where it came from not Kershaw. I think Thomas said it was Alabama damascus in another thread.

I had this blade of mine Rc tested and it came out to be 58 Rockwell.

That isn't a bad hardness at all in my opinion. I like the blade, I've cut with it a lot and used it. It doesn't seem to me to be that bad at all. I won't kid you its not the ZDP189 Leek or the S30V Leek but its typical of what you'd expect for a carbon steel I think, ie a good cutter and an easy easy touch up back to razor sharp in no time flat.

STR

Found a little more about Alabama Damascus:

The only specs I found on their website.

Material = (4) layers 5160, (3) layers 203E, (3) layers 52100, (3) layers 15N20 folded 5 times for 416 damascus layers

So maybe the steel aficionados could enlighten us from that.

Got my damascus leek today. Very nice pattern, very different than the only other damascus knife I have which is a VG-10 damascus Mcusta. Swapped the handle out with minimal stress. Oddly when I got it before I swapped the handles the AO barely worked. After I swapped the handles the AO only kinda worked on both knives only one time in 10 flipping the blade fully into locked posistion. I set them both down and about 15 min later tried again and hey both worked perfectly mutiple times. I'm not sure what happened there.

Pictures soon-ish. I have this 24 hour Ruby on Rails development thing I need to get ready for so I won't be doing much of anything else for the next 36 hours or so.

damascus5.jpg

damascus8.jpg

I swapped out my Boron Handle and I love the Damascus Leek! This blade would also look good with a Titanium Handle!

Back