1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

damascus San Mai

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by G L Drew, Aug 9, 2018.

1. G L Drew

G L Drew KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 3, 2005
    I have been looking at this one ever since I finished it trying to decide if I want to keep it myself. I keep so many that I lose track of them so here it is for sale.

Forged in my shop with at 1095 core with 1095 and 15N20 damascus on the pattern weld
    Heat treated to Rc 58-60 with attention to a fine grain
    Flat grind
    Stabilized and dyed premium curly maple handle
    Overall length: 13 inches
    Blade: 7 1/2 inches
    Leather scabbard with a belt loop for a right hand carry

$355 delivered within the US. My PayPal and email address is [email protected]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    John F., cbach8tw, ren01228 and 14 others like this.
  2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Very wow. Really beautiful.

3. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Did you cast forge the guard?

4. jftman

jftman

Sep 3, 2006
    Yes, I also appreciate info on the guard. Do You have a detailed pic of the fit of blade and guard?

I looked back at other knives You have listed. Was this one being ambitious to move 'the pointer' up?
    Great progress!

https://bladeforums.com/threads/first-san-mai-but-need-advice.1001811/

Question. Was this ( the current knife for sale ) a longer knife? Something about the business end looks to me like You had to correct something? Or is it me? LOL

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. G L Drew

G L Drew KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 3, 2005
    Photos added above. The guard was machined from bar stock with a friction fit to the flats and a little JB Weld to hold it secure while working on the handle. No, there is not problem with the sharp end of the blade: just poor lighting and poor photography.

6. jftman

jftman

Sep 3, 2006
    Please. An esthetic question. A blued blade and blued damascus, is it the same thing?
    Your pics are clear and perhaps lighting plays tricks. So in some shots it appears 'blued'.

I'm in for 'blued' damascus in that san mia and pattern

If it was blued I don't think I could resist!

7. G L Drew

Feb 3, 2005
    Not blued, etched in feric chloride. The difference is the amount of light at the time the photos were taken. I have blues damascus blades but not this one.

protourist likes this.