Important Info! Deceased makers

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Bobby Branton, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kevin Morris

Kevin Morris Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Heinz Leber?

2. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    While not a knife maker himself Conrad "Ben" Baker was the Father of the Vietnam era SOG Knife. Ben worked for CISO (Counter Insurgency Support Office) and made many trips to Vietnam, even going on patrols to make sure the gear they were buying/developing worked. Ben passed early on the morning of 16 Dec 2019. RIP. John

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  3. Ed Fowler

Ed Fowler

Jul 21, 2001
    Mark Reich one of our HEPK Masters from Belle Fouche South Dakota just passed away today, he was a great friend and supreme knife maker, he will be missed!

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  4. Joss

Joss

Nov 20, 2001
    Keith Larman, polisher of (mostly) US-made Japanese style swords and a sometimes contributor here, passed away a few days ago on Jan 24. He had been in the hospital for several months, first due to acute pancreatitis, then sepsis, according to a Facebook post by his friend ABS Mastersmith Howard Clark.

You can see some of his work on his site:
    http://summerchild.com/summer.html

I have at least three pieces he polished for me. He was someone I had a lot of respect for.

5. Keith Grice

Keith Grice

Apr 23, 2019
    Jerry Grice passed October 2004, my father.

Mom passed a year ago and now we can finally work on selling his stuff. I will be bringing some of his knives, scales, mammoth, and supplies to the Blade Show this year. I have so much stuff I reserved a table to sell.

6. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    perhaps someone can verify .. I heard Jay Harris from the San Francisco area passed...

Also Igor Shirogorov died in a car crash 2015. Primarily known for Shirogorov Brothers production knives, he was a consummate designer and made a helluva custom knife.

7. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I just found out that Peter Marzitelli passed away in May 2019.

Peter was one of the first people that I got to know in the custom knife world and we worked together on my first real design project. Basically, he opened the door to the world of custom knives for me and I will always be thankful for the role that he played in my life.

Obituary

Shop tour thread

8. lhzeng

lhzeng

Dec 4, 2017
    Butch Vallotton passed away yesterday.

Dawkind likes this.