Decided not to buy Sebenza, so now what?

Jeremy Robertson "El Patron"
Similar looks to the Sebenza and comes in 3V or D2, also a flipper version.
DSC05079.JPG

Why don't you just buy one and see for yourself? It's not like your going to lose much if any money if you just re sell it if it's not what your looking for. Seems silly to me to make a decision based on one youtube video.

CRK's have the following they do for a reason.

It's a few bucks, just buy a Sebenza, enjoy using it for life is very short. If you still don't like it post it for sale here and someone will take it off of your hands in no time.

Im not too into Sebenzas but I almost agree with the others saying you should get it. I watched the video a little bit, but didnt really catch what his problem was except CRK didnt reply to his email. Get it, play with it, sell it if you dont like it, at least you would get to handle it, increase your knife experience and make your own conclusions.

I am not really looking for criticism of Sebenzas or defense of Sebenzas as much as what a great alternative knife might be now that I have decided against the Sebenza.

depending on your time frame, you could get on a waiting list for a Demko. Totally customizable in dimensions and materials with an awesome lock.

Im not too into Sebenzas but I almost agree with the others saying you should get it. I watched the video a little bit, but didnt really catch what his problem was except CRK didnt reply to his email. Get it, play with it, sell it if you dont like it, at least you would get to handle it, increase your knife experience and make your own conclusions.

Seconds on that. But if that review really convinced you,
get a Les George VECP and reviews of Jeremy
Robertson's El Patron
are pretty favorable.

I went more than ten years collecting knives before considering a sebenza. I didn't see the value in such an expensive knife and frankly didn't even like the look of it that much. After owning and enjoying all sorts of knives, (cold steel, gerber, buck, sog, kershaw, benchmade, spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Microtechs, and a couple of customs) I decided to see what the hype was about. I bought a strider PT first and really loved it. I decided that if a strider was that good, I should try a sebenza. I did and soon bought a second. I probably would not have appreciated the "value" of the sebenza if I had not first had all the other knives. If I were you, I would not let someone else influence me one way or another. Try it yourself! If not this time, sometime in the future. Having said that, if I was going to buy something other than a sebenza, I would look at Microtech, strider or Zero Tolerance.

Strider SnG, Satin blade.
Strider and Chris Reeve took the folding knife to new heights that will be hard to improve upon.

I think you should check out the protech integrity manual folder. there is a version with a blue ti handle that has a milled pattern in it, it is an amazing knife.theres a damascus version,too. even the regular beadblast handle version is nice.it now comes in s35vn as well.its probably one of the closest things to a sebenza for less thats out there.

I think you should check out the protech integrity manual folder. there is a version with a blue ti handle that has a milled pattern in it, it is an amazing knife.theres a damascus version,too. even the regular beadblast handle version is nice.it now comes in s35vn as well.its probably one of the closest things to a sebenza for less thats out there.

Is there a Brend blade version?

I have to say, Neptune's review made me think, but after reading and watching numerous knife reviews including all those listed in this thread, I am even more undecided than I was when I started. Each of the knives suggested have merit and each has pro and con sides. I actually am starting to think that the Sebenza might be the best choice. There are less expensive knives with more and more expensive knives with less but the CRK seems to strike a very nice balance for features and quality.

I think I am going to sleep on this one for a bit to keep from making yet another impulse purchase. Wish I could have them all.

(Is there a Brend blade version?) the blade shape is like the bradley alias,theres no other version. you can google protech integrity folder & see pics,specs. its real cool,kind of a sleeper...

(Is there a Brend blade version?) the blade shape is like the bradley alias,theres no other version. you can google protech integrity folder & see pics,specs. its real cool,kind of a sleeper...

I know Brend does custom blades for protech. I was hoping for a custom Brend version.

I have to say, Neptune's review made me think, but after reading and watching numerous knife reviews including all those listed in this thread, I am even more undecided than I was when I started. Each of the knives suggested have merit and each has pro and con sides. I actually am starting to think that the Sebenza might be the best choice. There are less expensive knives with more and more expensive knives with less but the CRK seems to strike a very nice balance for features and quality.

I think I am going to sleep on this one for a bit to keep from making yet another impulse purchase. Wish I could have them all.

Take your time. In many ways the enjoyment comes from the "quest" rather than the capture. It always takes me a long time to make up my mind when buying something expensive, but I wind up being very happy for a long time when I do. It took me 18 months before I finally decided to buy a BMW, and I drove many, many cars before I decided. It took me 6 months before I decided which watch I wanted to treat myself with, and I really enjoy it.

When I don't take my time, ... the results can be a bit "iffy."

.... but in many ways, I miss the quest. Remember too, that Sebenzas are going to be available for a long, long time. You don't have to rush.

If the Sebenza calls to you, I wouldn't let a bad YouTube review turn you off. That being said, if I were in your place and going to drop that kind of cash, I'd really want to make sure I'm buying a knife that really calls to me. There are a lot of fantastic ones out there.

Customs are a distinct possibility. I'm a big fan of Peter R, and have recently been drooling over Alan Davis' work.

My personal favorite knife designer is Darrel Ralph. I can't seem to spend money on anything but new Gun Hammers.

I would toss the thought of looking at reviews for now, and start thinking about features that really make a knife the perfect knife to you. Especially if you're planning on using it. If you're planning on buying it as a collectable safe queen, then you're looking for something else. But the simple truth of the matter is that value per cost is a very relative thing. What YOU value may be very different from what someone else values. That's why I think it's actually worth going through the growth process that so many of us have done, where we've purchased tons of different cheaper knives, and taken chances on some. It gives us an idea of what we feel is important in a knife. Then we just have to find one that executes that dream knife well, and fits many (or all) of the design features into said knife.

Along those lines, I'd ask you this: What have been your favorite knives to date, and why did you like them? Work based on what you want, not based on what someone else thinks should be important to you.

If you want to go a little smaller and a lot cheaper, check out the Spyderco Sage 2. I have two small Sebbies, and find the Sage 2 comparable in nearly every way.

Of course there are differences in the knives, but for a framelock, titanium folder, I find it hard to beat the value of a Sage 2.

Last edited:
Strider SnG

Neptune is a total whack job. Don't base your decision on him.

It's also interesting that Neptune and nutsnfancy both have negative views of the Sebenza.
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. The guy is damaged above the neck.

I have a small plain Sebbie from 7/11 (S35VN), a Nyala from 12/10, and a WC 'StarTac' Umnumzaan (below), my favorite (Note the carry patina!) and my first (9/10) from CRK.

004-4.jpg

At $430, the 'zaan remains my most expensive knife. Second place goes to my 2012 Blade buy - a new LionSteel SR1 (Ti), with third place being held by the small Sebbie. The SR1 has seen no use - it's just unique - it's nice, but no CRK.

004-5.jpg

The DPX HEST/f 2.0 shown with the SR1 above is another Lion Steel product - a real moose of a less expensive knife, if you just have to abuse a knife.

Of course, I started with slipjoints - I know how to use a folding knife, locking blade or not. A folding knife is for cutting. They aren't meant for chopping, batoning, prying, or splitting - they aren't 'smaller' fixed blades. To whack the back spine of any lockblade folder's blade untill it fails is inexcusable. To expect a manufacturer to replace/repair such a knife afterwards is pure folly. If the OP is swayed by such destructive tests, perhaps he really needs a fixed blade. If you want a finely made, with tight tolerances, excellent materials, and great ergonomics, folding pocket knife, look into CRK. Can you get close to some of those exemplary attributes for a lot less money? You bet!

Stainz

Back