Decided on a PM2, now what steel

Bentobox has PM2s in Elmax, Maxamet, CruWear, S35VN available now. They also have a para 3 in M390 that they are taking preorders on now.

Didn’t know about the BBS Para 3 in m390... Could’ve dealt with not knowing. As this information has put a dent in my wallet.

I adore M390, but my PM2 is a vanilla G10 ‘n’ CPM S30v. It works great. If I lived in the USA I dare say I’d go crazy for some of the sprint runs, but with import tax etc. it’s a no, sadly.

Whatever you choose, it’s a great knife with an excellent lock. It made me realise that however fugly I find Spydercos, I keep reaching for that damn knife, so it must be a very good knife indeed. :)

OP - this may be a moot point if you have made up your mind on PM2. But if you are willing to reconsider, how about Benchmade griptilian 551-1, which has cpm 20cv steel which is basically the same as M390? I love PM2 and I do own the DLT M390 version but it is very less likely you can get a new M390 PM2 with $180.

For myself, the cheapest one I could find, since I don't like the PM2.

For you, M4, 52100, or Cruwear.

M390 if you need stainless.

Dlt even has an M390 551 - not sure I’d pay the extra $50ish.

I've been looking at that one too. I love the CF scales and the M390 steel on it. But you are right, it is a bit pricey.

totally.frikin.worthit. Thick slabs of CF, not as chubby as the regular grip. Best build quality of any benchmade that I've handled for awhile. DLT is awesome to deal with and will even look through them to find you a good one. Currently in my pocket.

I’d seen the Griptilian, but I actually looked in to it now. I don’t think I can warm up to it. Call me vain, but I like the looks of the PM2 hands down - which is good. Saved me from paying $250 for the DLT exclusive grip 551.

I’d seen the Griptilian, but I actually looked in to it now. I don’t think I can warm up to it. Call me vain, but I like the looks of the PM2 hands down - which is good. Saved me from paying $250 for the DLT exclusive grip 551.

Personally, I like the looks of the griptilian much more than the PM2.

Personally, I like the looks of the griptilian much more than the PM2.

Although I'm sure it gets the job done , the Griptillian is one of the ugliest knives I've ever seen. Not to mention the plastic scales on the 551. Laughable.

I adore M390, but my PM2 is a vanilla G10 ‘n’ CPM S30v. It works great. If I lived in the USA I dare say I’d go crazy for some of the sprint runs, but with import tax etc. it’s a no, sadly.

Whatever you choose, it’s a great knife with an excellent lock. It made me realise that however fugly I find Spydercos, I keep reaching for that damn knife, so it must be a very good knife indeed. :)

Soooo true. Some of the prices here in Europe are ridiculous (~700$ for a Nirvana for example). I get that they want to make a profit, but come on. At least if you look around a bit you find shops with at least fair prices once in a while.

I'd guess that S30V will meet every requirement you want. Don't over think it, S30V is no slouch steel is a miracle steel.

The more I really think about it, the more I’m leaning that way. I REALLY want the M390, but having s30V to hone my sharpening skills might be a good thing.
I'd guess that S30V will meet every requirement you want. Don't over think it, S30V is no slouch steel is a miracle steel.

Back