Dedicated chopper knife for $100 or less... Sugestions?

In my review of the Lord Greystoke I mentioned that I was having problems making feather sticks the way I like them. Bryan sent me a video showing a way to make better "feathers" using the Greystoke. That and a Lord Greystoke made out of 5160 instead of O-1... WOW. A Greystoke made of 5160 is the proverbial knife built like a tank.

Yep - Mr. Breeden's da MAN!!!

As i anticipate my own Breeden Razor, not Occam's Razor (though they're not too different), a thought came to mind - a slogan maybe, "If you can't cut feather-sticks, don't worry - Breeden knives come so sharp they'll cut 'em for you!".

No offense intended PreacherMan!!!

Hi all, Preacher Man I hope the video helped some. It is just one of a million ways to make them lol.
As to the 5160 Greystoke, I am happy with it. It but if I had my choice I would take 0-1 any day of the week hands down.

Fmajor007, I like the saying lol.

Take care all,

Bryan

No offense taken. I'm the first to admit that I still have much to learn about primitive and bushcraft skills. I've done them before, but for whatever reason I was having difficulties with the LG. I'll try Bryan's suggestion and see how it works.

BTW, I like the slogan.

Yep - Mr. Breeden's da MAN!!!

As i anticipate my own Breeden Razor, not Occam's Razor (though they're not too different), a thought came to mind - a slogan maybe, "If you can't cut feather-sticks, don't worry - Breeden knives come so sharp they'll cut 'em for you!".

No offense intended PreacherMan!!!

Last edited:
Hi all, Preacher Man I hope the video helped some. It is just one of a million ways to make them lol.
As to the 5160 Greystoke, I am happy with it. It but if I had my choice I would take 0-1 any day of the week hands down.

Fmajor007, I like the saying lol.

Take care all,

Bryan

The video helped. When I did the feather sticks I did try slicing on a pronounced angle, but not a small angle as you suggest. I'll try it that way.

I'm curious, why do you prefer O-1 over 5160 for the Greystoke?

Great I hope it works out for ya doing it that way. 0-1 is better steel. 0-1 is a carbon tool steel and 5160 is a carbon steel.
Think of it like a step up or higher grade.

chat with you later,

Bryan

Hello Mr. Breeden! just sent you another email lol. Happy New Year!

Yeah, still working on what to pair with mine... there's a GI Tanto on my desk back in Idaho that has been de-tantoed, de-guarded and once I buff out the pointed grind line and turn it into a parallel saber, it will get an Alumahyde park grey blade and OD scales. Should look pretty darned good when all is said and done. Don't think it will be my permanent solution though, possibly an OD Enzo Trapper with a blued blade.

SOGs budget line catches a lot of flack ... but with a price rage of $17 - $30 I think they work just fine. If they break, who cares? They are cheap and available at your local Walmart for immediate replacement. I keep hearing comets that they 'break left and right', but Google cant turn up any pictures of one. Our own 'Blade Forums' internal search found a whopping ONE instance of the cheapest model in that line with a chipped blade. Not surprising considering that the blade is hollow ground from very thin stock.

Fact is, there are TONS of great choppers out there for <$100, and many of them are well below that mark:
* Kershaw, Becker, Ontario, and Kabar have great options that approach $100
* Condor makes a ton of models priced at the middle of that range
* SOG, Gerber, Cold Steel, Tramonita, and Ontario all make good choppers at the low end.

For the money I'd rather have a Condor EcoSurvivor over a SOG Jungle Canopy.

payett, I really like that Big Breeden Binge of 2011 lol. you know I have been thinking about this. If I had not made the offer to make a knife for Preacher Man I would have missed out on gaining a great friend, as I have chatted with Preacher Man on the phone and through e-mails. also because of this thread I have made some more freinds. This truely has been a blessing to me.
Thanks again you guys for all the kind comments and it has been a great time chatting with you all.

Chat with you all later,
Bryan

The relationship building is priceless. I think the other fantastic part is all the ingenuity that comes out in the design. You combine a credible, skilled craftsman with good materials and a very reasonable price point, and all of a sudden people can turn one's dream design into reality. I remember Mistwalker's thread about a year ago when he had you build him that SERE knife. Since then, you've become a creative outlet for alot of people.

Maybe we can find ways to promote that more often. We did a series of knifemaker's competitions, best necker, machete, bushcrafter, etc., and those threads generated a ton of new creative designs. If we can find a way to promote a layman's 'design your dream such and such' and have the winner's design produced, it would give both custom makers and production designers a feel for what the market wants.

For the money I'd rather have a Condor EcoSurvivor over a SOG Jungle Canopy.

I agree with this. The EcoSurvivor was executed perfectly-perfect pricepoint, perfect materials, perfect design. I think if the Jungle Canopy were produced in a mid-carbon steel at a similar pricepoint of SOG's stainless, I'd be all over it. 1055, 1075, a handful of other inexpensive carbon steels out there, in my mind, would change the Jungle Canopy from a mall ninja/armchair adventurer's knife into one of the market's leading large blades.

payett, I really like that Big Breeden Binge of 2011 lol. you know I have been thinking about this. If I had not made the offer to make a knife for Preacher Man I would have missed out on gaining a great friend, as I have chatted with Preacher Man on the phone and through e-mails. also because of this thread I have made some more freinds. This truely has been a blessing to me.
Thanks again you guys for all the kind comments and it has been a great time chatting with you all.

Chat with you all later,
Bryan

I reflect the sentiment entirely. I did gain a good friend and came to know you as a wise man and devoted fellow believer. Having the LG made is a blessing, but getting to know and chat with you is even more of a blessing. I do believe that we are blesses through and out of our acts of kindness, and you sir have been very kind and a blessing to me.

Well, Bryan will be making a companion to the Lord Greystoke. It will be at least until mid or late February (still not sure) before he can get to it, but it's on the books already. For Bryan's work, I'm more than willing to wait.

The knife is called the 6 and 12 (or 6/12) for the book Six Ways In & Twelve Ways Out, which is the survival training manual for the United States Rescue and Special Operations Group. George Jasper, of the US RSOG and author of the book, liked the first one so much that he ordered one and started to recommend it to other US RSOG members. One of the other instructors recommended the name and Bryan liked it. When we discussed a companion for the Greystoke I mentioned that I wanted a solid knife to use as a companion for the LG, but also as a stand alone trail knife. Bryan highly recommended the 6/12 as THE knife for that.

Here is the 6/12 on top and a Rat 3 on the bottom for comparison. The 6/12 has full handle scales, a stronger tip design, and doesn't have a choil. The blade is 3.75" and the handle is 4". I'm having mine made with a 4.25" handle with scales and sheath to match the Lord Greystoke. I'll use it as a stand alone trail knife and to piggyback onto the LG.

IMG_1870 6-12 knife comparison to RAT 3.jpg

I can't wait to piggyback that beauty onto the Greystoke and take some pictures. Or better still, take it for a ride.

Well, Bryan will be making a companion to the Lord Greystoke. It will be at least until mid or late February (still not sure) before he can get to it, but it's on the books already. For Bryan's work, I'm more than willing to wait.

The knife is called the 6 and 12 (or 6/12) for the book Six Ways In & Twelve Ways Out, which is the survival training manual for the United States Rescue and Special Operations Group. George Jasper, of the US RSOG and author of the book, liked the first one so much that he ordered one and started to recommend it to other US RSOG members. One of the other instructors recommended the name and Bryan liked it. When we discussed a companion for the Greystoke I mentioned that I wanted a solid knife to use as a companion for the LG, but also as a stand alone trail knife. Bryan highly recommended the 6/12 as THE knife for that.

Here is the 6/12 on top and a Rat 3 on the bottom for comparison. The 6/12 has full handle scales, a stronger tip design, and doesn't have a choil. The blade is 3.75" and the handle is 4". I'm having mine made with a 4.25" handle with scales and sheath to match the Lord Greystoke. I'll use it as a stand alone trail knife and to piggyback onto the LG.

View attachment 251466

I can't wait to piggyback that beauty onto the Greystoke and take some pictures. Or better still, take it for a ride.

That's a sweet-looking companion there PM! I really like it also - i bet it handles very well. I'd be all over one also. I'm on the Mid-March time-frame with my design so i'll be waiting for quite a while, but i'm confident it's going to worth the wait! I hope to get it in time to post up some pics from here in Bosnia.

Back