Dedicated chopper knife for $100 or less... Sugestions?

Again, I started with the Foxy Folly. 10 chops got most of the way through.

PC210464.jpg

The Golok came next. 10 chops got a little deeper than the Foxy Folly.

PC210466.jpg

The Lord Greystoke had been waiting for its chance to prove itself, and it did not disappoint. It went through the branch in 10 chops.

PC210468.jpg

Here you can see a little more clearly the aftermath of the chop off.

PC210469.jpg

And each knife beside its handiwork.

PC210471.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I was surprised Breeden's Lord Greystoke was the better chopper. No offense Bryan, but I expected the Golok and Foxy Folly to do a little better than the Greystoke, if nothing else as a result of greater weight and a larger arch generating greater momentum. Bryan, I tip my hat to you sir. You do make one heck of a knife, not just a good looking one.

Well, I couldn't do this and not do some batoning.

PC210473.jpg

It is difficult to describe batoning with this knife, but I'll try. Usually when I baton I have to compensate with my left hand for the movement and torque effect batoning has on the knife. I have to keep the knife straight since the tip tends to go deeper than the handle. That was not the case with the Geystoke. I can only guess it is a result of the knife's edge, but with each impact the knife went in deeper with much less resistance that I expected. There was almost no torque effect to compensate. When taking about the edge, Bryan had explain that he does a modified convex edge. He tried to explain, but to this day I have no idea what that means. That is no fault to Bryan's ability as a teacher, but my own inability to grasp the geometry of the edge he was describing. Whatever a modified convex edge is, IT WORKS.

After batoning the branch into quarters, I took a section to do a firestick. Bryan had warn me that the knife's edge would not do "pretty" firestick sections. I wanted to try anyway. Been a 10" blade I tried the two hand technique I use with longer blades.

PC210475.jpg

It didn't work very well. I had problems controlling the knife or getting the cuts I wanted. The sections were way too thick or not deep enough to carve a "slice."

PC210476.jpg

I switched to a one hand position, chocking up on the knife. That gave me much better control and better "feathers." They were still thicker than I wanted, but Bryan had warned me about this. I need to practice making more feather sticks with the Greystoke. I may still find a way to get them closer to the way I want them. What I got today would not be good enough to use as tinder, but good enough to use with some other tinder. For the record, I have to admit my feather stick technique leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm learning. Part of the issue may lay on my faulty technique. Some more practice may fix that, we'll see.

PC210477.jpg

PC210478.jpg

Well, what can I say? I'm really very impressed with the Lord Greystoke. I was expecting it to be a good chopper, but not SUCH a good chopper. Is not every day that you see a 10" blade outperform a Condor Golok or a HI chopper. Before testing the Greystoke, the Golok was my go to chopper. Not any more. This is one outstanding chopper. Is this a One-Knife-Does-It-All blade? I'm not sure. I need to use it more and get a better feel for really fine tasks, like feather sticks. It may be good enough to get the job done, but I need to get better used to it to know. In the meanwhile, Lord Greystoke will be taking a smaller companion when going to the field; just in case.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet the better chopping ability was the result of a thinner grind than the other two. A thinner blade doesn't have to displace as much material during the cut, so more of that energy is left to go into the actual depth of the cut. This is why I like thin, broad blades.

hmm Mr. Breeden, don't see any messages in my profile, might have to check my personal email and if nothing else, I'll give you a call. Today's my B-Day!! Yeah!!

I'm willing to bet the better chopping ability was the result of a thinner grind than the other two. A thinner blade doesn't have to displace as much material during the cut, so more of that energy is left to go into the actual depth of the cut. This is why I like thin, broad blades.

That could be. The Lord Greystoke is 3/8 thick while the Golok is 1/4. The Foxy folly, which did worse, is the thicker blade of the three.

Wow I was not aware of Brian's work either till I saw this thread. Damn when does this sh$t stop????? Another maker I have to get a knife from! :mad: I'm not going to have anything saved up for retirement ;)

That could be. The Lord Greystoke is 3/8 thick while the Golok is 1/4. The Foxy folly, which did worse, is the thicker blade of the three.

Good grief -3/8's???? I though my Trailmaster was thick at 5/16's.... TLG is one, whoppin' big blade!

BTW, yer wifey is awesome for letting the present be unwrapped early - nicey nice!

Ahhhh - i think yer right. I forgot the specs from one of Mr. Breeden's posts earlier (or somewhere).

Hi all,

Preacher Man, Glad to hear you like how your knife works in cutting and chopping.
I like the pics you posted. It looks like you had a good time testing your knives.

Your wife is a sweety.

Thank you for the kind words.

ZuluNinja, email me at tacklebreeden@yahoo.com and I will be able to get back to you easyer that way. I got your message and replied not sure what happened.

Busy day and so a short note

Take care all,

Bryan

I did had a very good time. The Lord Greystoke is a pleasure to use; it is very comfortable and feels secure in the hand while chopping. I used it (along a sawvivor, the Golok, and the Foxy Folly) to cut the three. Then just used it with the choppers for the chop off, and to finish cleaning up and chopping the branches for disposal. The Greystoke still cuts paper as easily and effortlessly as you showed in the video; even the sweet spot is still just as sharp. All this in a smaller package and lighter than the Golok and the FF. I sincerely love it.

Bryan, thank you for your excellent work. I couldn't be happier with the Greystoke.

Yes the thinner grind is a factor, but so are weight and momentum. I expected the Golok to be a better chopper with its slightly greater weight and longer blade. The difference in thickness is just 1/16 so I thought that wouldn't make too much of an impact on the results. I may be mistaken since I know I still have much to learn about the factors affecting chopping mechanics, but I think the edge geometry is making a difference in this case. I re-profiled and sharpen the Golok and FF with a convex edge at 50 degrees (25 each side). That is what I think will keep a robust chopper's edge but I may have made the edge geometry a little too obtuse, I'm not sure.

Yes the thinner grind is a factor, but so are weight and momentum. I expected the Golok to be a better chopper with its slightly greater weight and longer blade. The difference in thickness is just 1/16 so I thought that wouldn't make too much of an impact on the results. I may be mistaken since I know I still have much to learn about the factors affecting chopping mechanics, but I think the edge geometry is making a difference in this case. I re-profiled and sharpen the Golok and FF with a convex edge at 50 degrees (25 each side). That is what I think will keep a robust chopper's edge but I may have made the edge geometry a little too obtuse, I'm not sure.

Yeah I'd thin out the edge a bit. Thin edges can take a lot more abuse when chopping than you might expect! I keep my machetes at only around 30 degrees inclusive so only 15 degrees per side! Blending the shoulders of the convex into the profile of the blade helps, too.

Preacher Man, again I so glad you are happy with your knife. Thank you for the opertunity to make it for you, it was a honor and pleasure.

Take care and chat with you later,

Bryan

bryan I had a dream last night that you emailed me and said mine was done. imagine my disappointment when I woke up lol. damn I'm looking forward to getting one of these beasts lol

Back