Deep Carry Clips

Lenny

Gold Member
It seems to me that not one of Spyderco's folders come with a deep carry clip.
You'd think that for as popular as they are, Spyderco would offer them as standard on some models, or at least make them available for purchase from their shop. Does Sal have some philosophical reason for not offering them?
Comments?

Several Spydercos come with deep carry clips; the wire clip is a deep carry clip. You're referring to the traditional deep carry clip, I'm assuming. I've read that Sal decided not to go after that market (traditional deep carry) due to the number of small businesses that popped up supplying them. He felt that if he did, he might be taking away business from them. You can't get much more stand up than that. I'm sure they know that if they started offering them, they'd be a big money maker for them. However, they are choosing to let others have a piece of the knife pie. Great job Sal.

And if I've got the story all wrong, @Sal Glesser , please correct me.

I read the same thing Shark.... I understand his stance, and support it, but I wish they would up date the sliver hourglass clip. It really detracts from the appeal of some of their knives in my opinion.

That's good to hear in a way.
That Sal is really a nice guy it seems.

Sal's view is a good one.

Spyderco is in the business of making knives and does it very well.

It also generates a lot if free publicity for Spyderco.

An good analogy is Apple/Samsung with mobile phones and the cases/accessories that go with them.

Aside from one model, I've never seen the need to want to change clips. I like both the wire clip and hourglass clip. I think they're designed very well as I can't remember ever catching the clip on something let alone breaking one. I can't say that with other brand knives I used to carry. I do prefer the black hourglass clip as opposed to the polished clips but I think the finish on the clip on the Gayle Bradley is the best finish they've come out with. It's ashame we don't see that clip more often.

Maybe spyderco knives shouldn’t come with clips then to cut the price down. I either don’t use the clip or aftermarket clip.

The pocket clip places the knife in the optimum position to take an authoritive grip to safely deploy the blade. Deep pocket decreases grip real-estate.

I have no use for deep pocket clips. If someone wants an unnecessary accessory they need to buy it elsewhere. :thumbsdown:

The pocket clip places the knife in the optimum position to take an authoritive grip to safely deploy the blade. Deep pocket decreases grip real-estate.

I have no use for deep pocket clips. If someone wants an unnecessary accessory they need to buy it elsewhere. :thumbsdown:

Some of our disagreement is in the terminology/semantics. I agree when it comes to a lot of knives. Delicas, enduras, etc I keep factory clips on them. I have one Endura with a true deep carry clip but that is extreme and true deep carry so the cost should be on me.

But some spyderco’s like my Manix 2xl, the factory clip leaves too much knife out of the pocket. That knife and other similar ones should come with a “deep carry clip” which really is not deep carry at all but really just holding the knife where it should be. I certainly don’t see why Spyderco can’t offer them on certain models and/or for purchase separately.

The “wants to help small company” argument doesn’t make sense to me. Sooo should cars come with square tires so small tire companies can be successful selling round tires? It just misplaces the burden on the consumer. I am also a little bitter because I had a recent bad experience with a MXG clip.

But some spyderco’s like my Manix 2xl, the factory clip leaves too much knife out of the pocket. That knife and other similar ones should come with a “deep carry clip” which really is not deep carry at all but really just holding the knife where it should be. I certainly don’t see why Spyderco can’t offer them on certain models and/or for purchase separately.

The “wants to help small company” argument doesn’t make sense to me. Sooo should cars come with square tires so small tire companies can be successful selling round tires? It just misplaces the burden on the consumer. I am also a little bitter because I had a recent bad experience with a MXG clip.
Because Spyderco has clearly decided to not get into the clip business for whatever reason. Why would be be bitter toward Spyderco for having a bad experience with another company's product?

If you don't like the Spyderco clip and don't want to pay for an after-market clip, maybe don't buy the knife. If you don't want to upgrade the tires, don't buy a car with square tires.

I'm guessing Spyderco would argue that every knife they sell "should" have the clip it comes with. It's a matter of opinion rather than an absolute, right?

Last edited:
...Yeah but look at that brouwer thy just came out with. its just a little ridiculous as the philosophy of use behind that is an everyday carry "just in case" / "good to have on you" knife. Its going to sit in the pocket more than in your palm. That's the perfect example of them prioritizing the lanyard hole which most people do not use when a clip is an option.

And I dont know if saying maybe you shouldn't buy a knife is fair. I see both sides absolutely, but if you were looking for the perfect watch and you find it but you really hated just the clasping mechanism you'd buy the watch more than likely wouldn't you? you'd just think OK i should do something about the clasp later on, I think that she same issue here.

How is it not fair? Para 3 has a big lanyard hole that's in a bad spot relative to the where I'd like the clip to be. I will never use a lanyard. So if I want a Para 3, I can do one of the following:
  1. Not buy it.
  2. But it and get a deep carry clip.
  3. Buy it and live with it.
  4. Do 2 or 3 and complain about it after I buy it because I think it should be made differently.
All are viable options. Number 4 makes the least sense to me. If it's not made the way I can live with, why buy it? Same with the watch. If you hate the clasp and love the watch, get a new band or bracelet for it. But you're going into it knowing you're hate the clasp, so it's a choice. It doesn't mean the original clasp was wrong or not the say it should be. It just means you prefer something different.

Because Spyderco has clearly decided to not get into the clip business for whatever reason. Why would be be bitter toward Spyderco for having a bad experience with another company's product?

If you don't like the Spyderco clip and don't want to pay for an after-market clip, maybe don't buy the knife. If you don't want to upgrade the tires, don't buy a car with square tires.

I'm guessing Spyderco would argue that every knife they sell "should" have the clip it comes with. It's a matter of opinion rather than an absolute, right?

No I am not bitter towards Spyderco. I am bitter towards the aftermarket clip company. Therefore I have even more reason to wish Spyderco offered a deeper carry clip option.

I like spyderco’s so I buy the knives. I just wish they would improve on some of the models’ clip designs. I think that is fair.

It is certainly a matter of opinion. I believe this forum is for sharing opinions. And considering how many people purchase after market clips for their spyderco’s, it appears to be a popular opinion... maybe an opinion Spyderco should think about.

Endura 4, Native 5, Manix 2, Para 2, etc, sooo at times feedback is listened to and adjustments are made. This is why most companies welcome honest feedback and OPINIONS.

Last edited:
Several Spydercos come with deep carry clips; the wire clip is a deep carry clip. You're referring to the traditional deep carry clip, I'm assuming. I've read that Sal decided not to go after that market (traditional deep carry) due to the number of small businesses that popped up supplying them. He felt that if he did, he might be taking away business from them. You can't get much more stand up than that. I'm sure they know that if they started offering them, they'd be a big money maker for them. However, they are choosing to let others have a piece of the knife pie. Great job Sal.

And if I've got the story all wrong, @Sal Glesser , please correct me.

Some wire clips are deep carry and some are not. The wore clip on the techno is deep carry, the wireclip on the p’kal is not.

Also to be fair the clip placement on the Brouwer is a little bit rediculous.

Last edited:
Back