Deep carry hotspots?

I know a lot of y'all use deep carry clips, I wanna get one for my PM2 but I have a question, has anyone noticed its been uncomfortable under normal use or you've developed hotspots?:confused:

No way for me. Either in my cross draw sheath or in my pocket. I love deep carry clips. Here's my main PM2 and Hinderer XM-3 3".

bb0041b04bd21719de49b8c1e34b08aa.jpg

b687ba6783ea0228a679dfdf59241e21.jpg

Mike

A hotspot basically a blister the knife (or pocket clip) gives you.

This is something you don't need to worry about. A blister on your butt or leg? You'll probably cut yourself 20 times and never get a blister. But if you do you can use your PM2 to lance it. Problem solved.

I really don't like deep-carry clips. It takes me a longer time to get the knife out of my pocket, unless I use a lanyard. Of course, a lanyard sort of points to the fact that you have a knife in your pocket...defeats the purpose of the deep clip.
Hotspots? Don't know...never had one...EXCEPT when I've carried a pocket-knife without a clip of some kind...

Pretty sure OP meant hot spots during extended cutting... not during carry.

Pretty sure OP meant hot spots during extended cutting... not during carry.

that's the way I understood the OP

some clips just seem to have a bend in the wrong place - I find some "deep carry" clips to be uncomfortable

Last edited:
Never been a problem for me. Folding knives as far as I am concerned are carried for convenience and rarely used for anything "hard". I doubt I will get a hot spot in a day of using my knife three times to cut open a clamshell pack, some string, and open a letter.

In the woods I will have a fixed blade with a comfortable handle.

Deep carry clips have never been a problem for me.

But it can be a very subjective issue - hand size, handle size, clip design, etc. What may not be an issue for some may be for others.

They are uncomfortable for me also for extended use as the position of the high spot on the clip digs into my hand. But the discreet carry makes it so convenient I like the deep clips in many situations

YES.
Once I added custom scales to my mini-grip and started carrying it more, the deep clip had to go. It protruded to far past the butt, and really dug into my palm when operating it. Now that it has custom scales, I don't mind the factory clip.

YES.
Once I added custom scales to my mini-grip and started carrying it more, the deep clip had to go. It protruded to far past the butt, and really dug into my palm when operating it. Now that it has custom scales, I don't mind the factory clip.

+1. Some, not all, deep carry clips dig into the meat of my palm right at the corner of the pocket clip. My SOG Vision is especially bad for this... the clip is bent at a 90 degree angle that creates a 'point.' Other knives, like my HEST/F, don't bother me at all.

-Brett

Yes, this is what I meant!

I was worried about what you meant while reading the first few posts....!!

I think there will be more factors to whether or not a deep carry clip will create a hotspot.

Where does your pinky or the back part of hand (hope you know what I mean by that) end up?

That will depend on handle length, and that will effect how the clip effects your grip, not to mention the overall design of the clip itself....

Lot's of factors that will be knife specific for the most part.

I was worried about what you meant while reading the first few posts....!!

I think there will be more factors to whether or not a deep carry clip will create a hotspot.

Where does your pinky or the back part of hand (hope you know what I mean by that) end up?

That will depend on handle length, and that will effect how the clip effects your grip, not to mention the overall design of the clip itself....

Lot's of factors that will be knife specific for the most part.

im looking to get one like this for my PM2

51e3956dfbc64ab903d6ee7f73f394f4.jpg

how do you think this would do hotspot wise?

im looking to get one like this for my PM2

51e3956dfbc64ab903d6ee7f73f394f4.jpg

how do you think this would do hotspot wise?

I have no idea?!

How big are your hands?
In certain grips it may.....

There is no knife that's comfortable for everyone in every grip.....
What I mean by that is I can give you a knife that has zero hotspots for my hands, and that same knife may bother your hands.

The only way to know for sure is to buy the clip, and see.

There is no definitive answer to this question is what I am getting at:

My 'medium' hands may not have an issue with it in grip X

Your 'large' hands may find it uncomfortable in grip X

Also, what is a 'hotspot' in terms of how picky are you about comfort?

Sorry about answering questions with questions, but I see no answer here that is universal.

Last edited:
Back