1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Deer hunting TRADITIONAL fixed blade suggestions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Whetstone39, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Whole nuther thought. How bout what you want? My Sonoran Camp Knife was designed by a professional guide and outfitter. He sent me a cheap $35 (literally) knife and said this is almost my perfect knife. But if we do this and we do that, man that would be it. Then it would be my perfect knife So we did this and we did that, A2 tool steel at 62RC and cocobolo handle and this is what we came up with.

[​IMG]

My Sonoran Hunter and Sonoran Skinner were designed by a well know TV personality/international sportsman as his perfect knives. Here in sheep horn and the Pack Pac they go in, as he keeps them in his pack until the animal is down (we also did a Sonoran Belt knife that he wears but thats another story).

[​IMG]

But the point of this is I had another experienced hunter come in and say I really like that Sonoran Skinner but if we did this and we did that it'd be perfect. Here it is with a little of this and a little of that looks like and its perfect for him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So whats perfect for you? Especially if its a generational memory deal. I wanna stress this isn't just me that can do this. In fact I probably couldn't by this hunting season. There's all kinds of guys on this forum that could work with you and make this happen for YOUR knife. I'd really explore that.

OLd_gUY, Don W, sunknife and 12 others like this.
  2. WolfyW

WolfyW

Oct 28, 2017
    I'll throw in for the Grohmann #2 "Trout and Bird", and an overlap sheath. From cleaning bluegill to deer, does it all. Light on the belt. Sturdy sheath. Great price. Comes in stainless or carbon. 4" blade, handle. Popular up here.

[​IMG]

3. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Wow, I like how you do this and that.

4. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks again Bruce, I would not have known about the D2 version were it not for your post. Apparently I need to visit the Buck forum more often :). The D2 118 is now on the list.

Looks good, thank you for the reply.

Thank you for the thoughtful response and the fantastic photos Chin, much appreciated. I think I am beginning to adopt your and Bruce’s advice regarding trying more than one, the Vanguard and the 118 are strong contenders so far.

Thanks for the response jec88, those are intriguing as well. I had a 110 folder at some point but gave it to an uncle, I was only vaguely aware of the fixed blade version.

Thanks again, the H10118 Hunter is interesting (and great looking), I wonder how the sheath is for that model.

Again I greatly appreciate the responses so far, this forum is amazing for knife education

5. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    Randall Denmark Special, check it out!

6. Whetstone39

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Dave, and the beautiful knife photos. Your suggested route is probably the path I will eventually take, having something custom made more or less to my specifications. I think my issue for now is, I don't know what exactly my specifications would be :). I have used different knives for this purpose in the past, and they worked, I think I just want to find something new for me to use. Then maybe establish some parameters, the this and that, for what would be perfect for me. And then contact you to build it :D

Thanks Wolfy, I am sure it is just my perception but that style always looks clumsy to use (to me) for some reason, clearly that is not the case due to the popularity. I think I need to handle one of those myself some time, thanks again for the suggestion.

Thanks RN, Randall's are all beautiful to me. But can be hard to find, or is that a misconception of mine?

Horsewright likes this.
  7. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    If you got $500 it’s no problem! My neighbor just picked one up and it’s an impressive knife, nice thin blade, beautiful high grade stag and fits the hand like a glove. It screams hunting knife! The only Randall I personally would use for hunting.

8. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Absolutely no flies on a Randall. I've used this droppoint #26-4" (picture taken when the knife was new) for skinning and deboning deer and been quite pleased with it. Not sure the steel type, but something like a 1095 based on performance - blade steel does discolor from blood slowly, but eventually. OH
    [​IMG]

9. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    There sure are a lot of Buck fans here! My suggestion is a bit different. The bucks are pretty plain looking, and I dont like the square handles, though I like their 420hc steel actually. I suggest getting a Hess. I have 2, one Whitetail (which Id recommend) and a Frontiersman (which is too big for hunting use but it looked cool and I got a good deal lol). They make old school knives and make them really well, for a good price. My Whitetail did a fine job on my last whitetail I shot. My other suggestion would be a Blackjack knife. Theyre made by Bark River but are a bit fancier, more classic looking I think. My favorite is a model 125 Heavy Hunter.

10. Whetstone39

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the Randall suggestions, I was under the (false) impression that they were difficult to find and prohibitively expensive, wrong on both counts. And I have always found them to be just gorgeous knives.

Thanks CV, the Hess Whitetail is a model I looked at initially, I really like stacked leather handles. It looks like I can try one for not too much of an investment as well.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  11. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I see a lot of great knives here, for the purpose, and a couple that are not. The OP just wants one for field dressing, not skinning or butchering. I could, for that purpose, be completely happy with the diminutive Buck 102. And a little knife like that would get a nod from guides. I could never pay for a guide, but I know three guides. Buck knives have a strong showing here, for good reason. The 121 (one of my favorites) and the 118 and 105 are all top-notch, in my book for all purpose hunting knives. I could list a good many other knives but these are affordable highly functional darlings.

12. g123

g123

Oct 25, 2009
    I am a knife user that loves Bushcraft and hunting deer. I particularly like hunting knives. I have Dozier’s and other custom, but the truth is that field dressing a deer can be done with any cheap knife. When you butcher a deer that gets a little more complicated, but you do not need anything expensive. If I could only have 1 knife to process a deer it would be a 6” semi stiff Victorinox boning knife.

If you want something traditional that you do not see too often I would get the Case Twin Finn set. It carries well and will do the job.

Geoff

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  13. Whetstone39

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the response tongueriver, my Buck knowledge is severely lacking apparently. The 105 looks great, much appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks Geoff, the Twin Finn looks fantastic, I was not aware of this model.

14. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Hurry up and show us!
    Great work and gracious post.
    I was just wondering when we'd get to Grohman.
    I don't have the real thing, myself, but the KOA balances at the first rivet, as I believe the original does. (The CS balances at the front of the handle, which is close enough for my kinaesthetic sensibilities.)
    [​IMG]
    I believe Case and China Schrade both still make the thumb-ramp in 5" and 4.5" versions. It surprises me that the market will float two lengths so similar for so long.
    I often wonder if a knife curved like the Schrade, or more so, with a point clipped to bring it nearer the center line, would be usefull.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  15. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    First try: (like a 7" Canadian Belt knife in D2)
    Too long
    [​IMG]
    Second try: (6" Clip point in D2)
    Not enough belly
    [​IMG]

Third try: (6" Drop point or possibly clip point in AEB-L)
    After making three knives in D2 (one was for a friend), I decided to use something that didn't eat diamond stones like candy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Nice! I particularly like that finished clip-point. Interesting offset on the knife to be.

17. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    The offset is pretty much the same as first one, but the blade is 1" shorter and wider at the heel which makes it look more drastic. I may bring the heel up some, I'm just leaving a lot of steel to play with. The first one was supposed to be more like the third one, but in trying to straighten out the grind line, I lost some of the edge near the heel. There were several OOPS's on the first one where I took too much steel off in places.

The second knife went pretty much as planned, but it was made from an odd shaped leftover piece of D2 from my first two knives, and I didn't have much to work with. I would have liked to make the butt larger, but couldn't. I thought it turned out pretty good though. Just not what I would have made if I had a bigger piece of steel to work with.

18. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I think a Bob Dozer knife would be perfect. I have one and it’s awesome for that purpose. His heat treat holds a edge a long time. And makes a lot of traditional designs and modern. Also check out Grohman DH Russel Canadian belt knife. Also a great hunting knife. And proven design.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  19. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    [​IMG] The Randall model 3 is also great one

20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    When I was growing up the sharpfinger was THE quintessential deer hunting knife. Couldn't find a pic of mine by itself but what they heck,ALL of these are good for deer imho. Although personally I feel the 119 is a tad large just for field dressing.
    From left to right, Schrade (USA made)152,144,PH1, Browning bushcrafter, Falkniven frej NL4( my 99%EDC fixed blade) Buck 119. The Schrade 158ot was also very popular where I grew up, basically the sharpfinger with a guthook.