Deer Rifle, straight wall cartridges only

Kiteman72

Gold Member
Winchester just recently released its new 350 Legend cartridge specifically for states with the straight wall requirement.

I haven't used it myself as it is quite new but I have been reading lots of good stuff and were I in the OP's position I would probably give it a try.

JFLemm

Gold Member
45-70 in the Marlin 1895 Dark Series Rifle. Freezer Filler!

d762nato

Gold Member
Sharps 50-140 with that 700gr bullet it'll take-em down but it might knock loose a tooth or bloody yer lip some. :D

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A lot of the old guys used 30/30's when I grew up. I have a .45 colt Henry to go along with my S&W .45 model 625. Pretty much a .410 slug down a rifled barrel. Finally got it back from storage this spring after having it tied up with a family member for a decade years while I was in school and then off doing other things, but I haven't really gone hunting since either :(. Small game and fishing used to be all I did in the winter when I wasn't at school or after school activities. It was a lot more convenient when I lived in the rural country.

Pretty bad picture, can't see the brass or octagonal barrel well at all, but wanted to get something quick anyway. Maybe I'll be back later after I've oiled it up, I've been meaning to clean it up with the 22-250 and 20 gauge that also finally made it back home.
Shsoliql.jpg

1. Look into a decent bolt action platorm (Winchester, CZ, Remington, etc.). Get a nice used one since you’ll be re-barreling it.
2. Pick the caliber you want. 45/70, 460 S&W, 500 S&W, 454 Casul, the list goes on and on...and on.
3. Have a good local gunsmith install the barrel. You might need a different bolt depending on the caliber you choose.
None of the calibers you listed work well in bolt action rifles without a lot of fiddling unless they are designed specifically for rimmed cartridges. And even then, most bolt action designed for rims were not designed for straight walled cartridges.

Some bolt actions designed for rimmed cartridges are the British Lee Enfield, Russian Mosin Nagant, Siamese Mauser (many are converted to 45-70), U.S. Krag–Jørgensen (AKA Springfield models 1892 1896, 1898 and 1899), Remington 788 (factory chambered in 30-30 or 44 Mag), Ruger M77/44 (factory chambered in 44 Mag)

There are a few issues, first is feeding - a straight walled cartridge has to have a different alignment in the top of the mag to feed correctly. Another is that rimmed cartridges don't play well with double stacked magazines. So most of the aforementioned rifles use single stack. The Ruger uses a rotary mag similar to the one used by the 10/22

Stump Buster

Gold Member
Just picked this blued/walnut No.1S 45-70 up today...
DovoTf7.jpg

With it's 45-70 kinfolk...
MqgqawY.jpg

...and since we're talking straight walled cartridges, this qualifies (Ruger 77/357)
Xq4k673.jpg

Might as well throw this 45Colt pre-safety Win94 Wrangler into the mix...(it's like a 45-70 SPCL)
Be8rvjz.jpg

Oops and almost forgot these two (Rossi/Puma 92 in 45Colt and T/C Contender in 357Mag)...
KUY7r21.jpg

aQj0o9l.jpg

aaaand finally the Lott for good measure...
idYS3vK.jpg

Last edited:

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I use a 44 mag or 45/70, both in Marlin Guide Rifles.

Tons of great suggestions so not sure how much I can add here but personally I think the 45/70 with full house factory loads is a little much for the shots we get in northern Ohio. The thing I love about the 45/70 if you roll your own is that you can dial in a load beautifully suited for Ohio deer and it's not very hard to find supplies like some of the more rare/obscure caliber's.

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
I'll mention these just for fun since they're a bit hard to come by, but still....FUN....Ruger's 96/44 lever action .44 mag and their 77/44 bolt action .44 mag. Both are about the size of a 10/22 carbine, accept a four-round rotary magazine, and are a hoot to shoot!

1st, pack everything and move to Louisiana

2nd, everything is better as far as hunting, fishing, Castle Doctrine, Kill-A-carjacker, 300 day a year growing season, G.R.I.T.S, open carry, concealed carry. Zero laws governing length of knives, unsalted roads. No gun registration, sell between private individuals with no paperwork.
Roger that:thumbsup:...

Things not to do..... 1st, don’t move to Canada.... gun laws stink and you’ve got no gun rights....

2nd, do not move to the province of Quebec.... gun laws stink even more.....;)

gruntmedik

Gold Member
I'll mention these just for fun since they're a bit hard to come by, but still....FUN....Ruger's 96/44 lever action .44 mag and their 77/44 bolt action .44 mag. Both are about the size of a 10/22 carbine, accept a four-round rotary magazine, and are a hoot to shoot!

I have a 77/357 that is a hoot to shoot. One of these days I'm going to thread the barrel to shoot suppressed.

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
I have a 77/357 that is a hoot to shoot. One of these days I'm going to thread the barrel to shoot suppressed.

Oh man, that would be sweet! I'd like to add the .44 semi-auto to the arsenal too. I just cannot get the stars to align on that one. I know where two are, and those guys are not letting go of them.

I heard but have not confirmed that Henry is releasing a lever model that will accept cartridges traditionally via feed ramp, but also via tube. If that comes to fruition I think I will have to have one.

Edit: Looks like Henry is building it...

Last edited:

JJ_Colt45

Gold Member
Oh man, that would be sweet! I'd like to add the .44 semi-auto to the arsenal too. I just cannot get the stars to align on that one. I know where two are, and those guys are not letting go of them.

I heard but have not confirmed that Henry is releasing a lever model that will accept cartridges traditionally via feed ramp, but also via tube. If that comes to fruition I think I will have to have one.

Edit: Looks like Henry is building it...

They are in fact releasing/released a side gate loading and still the tube feed option Big Boy ... so far only in the brass model but I assume it will find it's way into other models soon.

dogboye

Gold Member
For me, I’d probably go Ruger 77/357 or 77/44, depending on whether there is also a minimum caliber (dia) or M. E. requirement. Buffalo Bore has .357 loads that are downright startling in ME from a rifle. And doesn’t Hornady have their LeverEvolution line in .357 and .44?

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
And doesn’t Hornady have their LeverEvolution line in .357 and .44?

They definitely produce leverevolution in .44 mag, but I've never shot it. I use mine on bear, and my ranges are close, as in 30 yards and under so I can't really speak for deer hunting at longer ranges with it. I'm handloading 270 grain Speer DeepCurl with a medium dose of H110 and it is devastating on bear.

JJ_Colt45

Gold Member
You can buy the leverevolution ammo in several calibers most anything that has been shot from a lever action rifle ...

One of my 30-30s likes it but none of my handgun caliber rifles shoots it as well as other ammo ...

Buffalo Bore ... Double Tap and HSM Bear load ammo are all more specialty ammo ... and great for what it is ... more a heavy game and/or defensive bear round ...

But I do shoot Buffalo Bore hard cast loads ... both LFN and JFN loads from one of my .44 Mag Marlins and my Marlin 1984C .357 mag ... because it is just damn accurate ...

most all of my .357 Mag lever guns shoot 180 grain Federal Power Shok and Federal with 180 grain Swift A-Frame bullets or the actual Swift 180 grain ammo very well ... Remington Core Lokt groups ok too ...

One of my Winchester .44 mag. rifles shoots Remington Core Lokt consistantly or Federal Power Shok ...

and don't over look or count out some of the 44 Special ammo ... Buffalo Bore's 255 gr.S.W.C.(Keith-type) ... it may surprise you how well it shoots ... and is plenty for any deer sized game or hogs ... and fun to shoot ...

RG,
Thompson Center does a 30/30 single shot that is small and compact, with your desired scope application, hunted with a fellow in WVA that loved his and I enjoyed shooting it.
More deer have been killed with the 30/30 than any other round, I would say!!