1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

DEK1

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Always had to be around five to make one for me

2. Visyoual

Visyoual

Mar 23, 2016
    5:1… I need a third job :eek:

3. Grenock

Apr 7, 2016
    Takes five of those too, unfortunately

4. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    More than a few folks across the country (world?) recently discovered the "..., one is none" phrase applies to their job.:(

5. Grenock

Apr 7, 2016
    Would like that post if it wasn’t so true Max.

6. Visyoual

Visyoual

Mar 23, 2016
    Another way Im looking at the ratios is:
    1cpk:5'otherguys'

In brighter news…
    It just hit the steps–and two days early!! :D
    A fantastic specimen.

I was attempting to capture how awesome unbuffed double black is, and I still didnt do it justice.
    Its like matte black–FAAANtastic. Still not quite my beloved terotuf, but damn its good. Guess I'll be attending the friday preorder so I can do a fair comparison : ]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oyster, donscpoo, Box_Opener and 22 others like this.
  7. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Man this thing is doing everything right so far. Nice job @Lorien and CPK
    IMG_20200730_132824_copy_1889x1417.jpg

8. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
    I'm excited for this pre-order. I'm curious. People who have one (or anyone with an opinion lol), what are your thoughts about putting a swedge on the DEK1? Is it necessary? Will it significantly alter the hand feel of using the DEK1? I'm asking because I'm sure Lorien would have put one in its final design if he thought it was necessary but he didn't. Just curious to hear people's thoughts.

vkp78, Dr_Void, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  9. Burton Knut

Burton Knut Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2019
    I intend to order one in each steel with a swedge on both. My internal debate is on alternative finishes.

vkp78, Dr_Void, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  10. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I like a swedge because the spine of the knife rides around the inside of a tube with less bumping (and therefor less gouging) when using the knife to deburr a hole or tube because the swedge offers a wider surface that can ride across little bumps rather than a corner. This is pretty specialized and doesn't apply to most folks. Other people like a swedge because it allows the knife to penetrate more deeply or with less effort when used for piercing. A long or thick blade (which this isn't) will see a meaningful reduction in tip weight which can be particularly significant on a thick knife with a wide primary grind like you might see on a high strength tactical knife with a reinforced point. I don't think most people really need a swedge for this knife but I'm offering one. It's an expensive option because I'll either have to hand grind them or tool up for a small run of them. People want them and it's not a detriment to the knife but I don't particularly recommend one unless you just really like swedges.

Oyster, vkp78, Dr_Void and 14 others like this.
  11. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    a swedge on DEK1 is purely an aesthetic option. The knife will stab and pierce well because of the overall design. I am unconvinced a swedge produces any meaningful utility upgrade. A swedge will look cool, and if you like paying extra for things that look cool then I guess it's for you but if you want the kind of knife that DEK1 is intended to be, as is will work just fine for you

ronnie hood, vkp78, jus_gus and 10 others like this.
  12. Dr_Void

Dr_Void

Apr 2, 2019
    Anyone have pics of the red and black linen micarta or double red scales? I’m trying to imagine what the swedge looks like too.

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  13. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    I believe there is one in the preorder thread.
    The one with the cz pistol

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  14. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    With a swedge, I could feel the weight difference in the FK2. Question would be how much does it take off and does it change the balance.

Thumbs up :thumbsup: for the DEK1 being lighter than the FK2.

vkp78, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  15. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Pre order is blowing up

16. Dr_Void

Dr_Void

Apr 2, 2019
    Scorpion CZ? Which preorder thread?

Also, is the “penetrator tip” feature new? I don’t remember seeing that either.

vkp78, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  17. BIGDORK

May 27, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Not my pic. In the pre order thread.

Oyster, jus_gus, Odog27 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    That is black and red linen micarta

Oyster, bullpin, jus_gus and 4 others like this.
  19. Dr_Void

Dr_Void

Apr 2, 2019
    Thanks man

jus_gus, BIGDORK and Odog27 like this.
  20. BIGDORK

May 27, 2018
    Np man.
    Here is some double red on a UF
    [​IMG]

Oyster, TommyGun56, vkp78 and 7 others like this.