DEK1

nRTNp4B.jpg

4Wi9sUC.jpg
Love your knife and sheath.

Anyone here like to keep the scales off your DEK1 ? I’m tempted to try it. Maybe do a thin paracord wrap. I think with the right leather slip sheath, it would be almost un-noticeable in the waist band carry. I have a 3V DEK1 with the rough finish black Micarta scales, I love it. I also have a AEBL with the smoother Micarta scales. I think the AEBL would be the one to try scale-less.
Any thoughts?

CPK scales are some of the best in the business and you want to take them off? Weird idea to me. You'd also need a new sheath as I don't think the stock sheaths will lock in place with blade/cord only.
I agree. The scales are great. The ergos of the Dek1 are amazing. I just get bored and want to try new things. I’m sure the stock sheath won’t work without scales. A nice leather pocket sheath would probably work best. I have a pancake Kydex sheath with a leather belt loop, a taco Kydex with g-clip for IWB. I have 2 dek1’s . So I could carry three different ways with the leather pocket sheath. I have a sheath arriving next week that will probably work well.

Anyone here like to keep the scales off your DEK1 ? I’m tempted to try it. Maybe do a thin paracord wrap. I think with the right leather slip sheath, it would be almost un-noticeable in the waist band carry. I have a 3V DEK1 with the rough finish black Micarta scales, I love it. I also have a AEBL with the smoother Micarta scales. I think the AEBL would be the one to try scale-less.
Any thoughts?

The DEK1 handles share DNA with the EDC. Lorien did a thread and how-to when he paracord wrapped his EDC which you can view on here. Additionally, yes, you will have to go to a leather sheath when you that mod. Lorien also made his own sheath.

CPK scales are some of the best in the business and you want to take them off? Weird idea to me. You'd also need a new sheath as I don't think the stock sheaths will lock in place with blade/cord only.
Yeah......those scales are the only reason I want one..... they look perfect

haha, I'd be happy all day with Just the scales in my pocket

My youngest son, the Navy squid, is in town for vacation. I haven't touched his DEK1 in D3V with the Swedge and Penetrator Tip and Black/Green Linen Micarta scales that I bought for him yet, except for taking a few photos of it. I didn't even test how sharp that it was. So, after he looked at everything, he decided that he wanted the OD Green Micarta scales put onto it.
I put the scales on his blade last night with some blued titanium fasteners for him. I decided to test the sharpness and was pleased seeing it easily push-cut printer paper, though I wasn't surprised. The entire edge to the tip push-cut the printer paper with ease. To everyone at CPK, thank you!

Douglas-6a.jpgDouglas-7a.jpg

Lurker in the CPK area off and on. Thinking about jumping in on the DEK1 pre order. What's the consensus on 3V vs Magnacut for this knife? This will be my modern carry for the outdoorsman trio of axe, fixed blade, small folder if that helps. Thanks
D3V
Trailed and tested, perfect for the application, and a good supply of it.
A few stains and scars add character

Lurker in the CPK area off and on. Thinking about jumping in on the DEK1 pre order. What's the consensus on 3V vs Magnacut for this knife? This will be my modern carry for the outdoorsman trio of axe, fixed blade, small folder if that helps. Thanks
Unless you wanna go diving with your DEK1, I don’t think you need the Magnacut steel. If this is your first CPK, I will suggest you go with D3V.

I stay in the tropics and had hiked in the rain and creeks with D3V. It never once rust on me. I just wipe it dry after each trip before I store it away. My personal experience is D3V is more corrosion resistance than INFI.

It was raining and wet when I took this shot. No rust after the hike.

51356293307_c0b1d9cdc3_k_d.jpg

Nobody really knows yet. Magnacut will be a little harder and more corrosion resistant, D3V is "tougher" (more edge stability), that's all we know for now.

That being said, I love D3V. Unless you want a special feature (swedge, acid wash, or similar), IMHO, just buy a D3V DEK1 on the used market or when the next batch becomes available in a few months, makes not much sense to wait for the pre-order. "Spatz in der Hand vs. Taube auf dem Dach", etc.

Roland.

Back