DEK2

it's looking good and feeling really good. I have another knife that I want to heat treat at the same time, so I need to work on it before DEK2 gets its magilurgical treatment. Don't want to show any pictures until it's out of the oven and not a banana

apart from a tiny bit of clean up, DEK2 proto is ready for heat treatment. Today, I drilled .25" holes through the tang, installed handles, drilled more holes etc. until I got the feel I was looking for. This knife definitely has more mass overall than DEK1, but I didn't want that mass too far forward. As it stands, the knife is a little handle heavy, with the balance point being very slightly behind where the index finger rests in a relaxed grip. Because of the additional mass, lowered edge and thicker handle, DEK2 feels at this point that it will chop a little better due to those factors, but I wanted really accurate tip control as well. So, the tip is a little higher than DEK1, and combined with a weight distribution that causes the knife to sit back in the hand, plus a thicker handle cross section, I think it will be a little more friendly to heavy, sustained use.

DEK1
yjZPI5N.jpg

DEK2
XJG4E8h.jpg

apart from a tiny bit of clean up, DEK2 proto is ready for heat treatment. Today, I drilled .25" holes through the tang, installed handles, drilled more holes etc. until I got the feel I was looking for. This knife definitely has more mass overall than DEK1, but I didn't want that mass too far forward. As it stands, the knife is a little handle heavy, with the balance point being very slightly behind where the index finger rests in a relaxed grip. Because of the additional mass, lowered edge and thicker handle, DEK2 feels at this point that it will chop a little better due to those factors, but I wanted really accurate tip control as well. So, the tip is a little higher than DEK1, and combined with a weight distribution that causes the knife to sit back in the hand, plus a thicker handle cross section, I think it will be a little more friendly to heavy, sustained use.

DEK1
yjZPI5N.jpg

DEK2
XJG4E8h.jpg
I really like the sounds of this.

DEK1
yjZPI5N.jpg

DEK2
XJG4E8h.jpg
Tease.

Back