Delica 4 zdp, time to rest?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jacktrades_nbk, May 1, 2016.

1. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    I gave a delica 4 as a present to my father back in 2009, and it's been trough hell since then. Used abused, broken tip, sharpened on cement, and so on, i really don't know what he hasn't done with it.
    I had posted pictures of it from time to time around here.
    It was kept opened in his work bag, and full with dirt, from construction sites, that you couldn't close it anymore, well, totally.
    I figured i would clean it for him, but noticing the huge amount of vertical play after a bit o cleanup, i opened it, and realized either a piece of the blade rusted away, or broke, at the lockbar contact point. Now it just "kind of" locks, has a lot of vertical play, like half a cm either way, and closes just pushed on the spine.
    As seen from the pics, a part of the blade is missing, but with the pivot screw tightened, it can still be used for one or two things.
    But i really think it's time to retire it, and give him another knife, ...more like a cheap hultafors hvk...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Billy516

Billy516 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Wow!! Just wow! I agree it's time to retire that one. Looks like it's seen several lifetimes of use in a very hard 7 years.

3. iMarcoU

iMarcoU

Dec 28, 2015
    Poor Delica :-(

4. TravisH

TravisH Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Retire?! Ha!

Clean it up, refurbish it, and, if it still won't lock up safely, epoxy it and turn it into a 'fixed' blade. 😄

5. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    "Throwing pearls for swines" (translated old Dutch proverb)

6. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Turn it into an art project

7. ncmiked

ncmiked

Feb 15, 2016
    Send it back to Sypdeco, it's obviously defective. :D

8. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Now THAT'S a hard use knife! Love it! I would honestly be tempted to clean it all up, epoxy it into place and put it under glass. Pristine knives are neat, but knives that have put in that much honest work bear rare character.

9. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Give him a small fixed blade with sheath. A cheap one. Given the way he treats knives, that might be more his style.

10. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    God forbid someone REALLY uses their knives without remorse/babying them, granted could have taken better care of it, but it's great to see a knife have a full life cycle, don't see it much anymore, at least here. Got 7 years of use out of it for $70ish dollars, money well spent. Having both a fixed and folder might not be a bad idea though.

Too bad wasn't a Benchmade, could send it in and they'd make it as new.;) Would charge you for the blade I'm sure though. Delica in zdp is one of the few folders I have left.

I really hope in the future Spyderco decides to offer blade replacements and overall tuneups of their knives to customers. Really like the designs, but them not being able to help you if you happen to break a $200 knife really turns me off.

11. SpeedHoles

SpeedHoles

Jan 18, 2015
    How would a few tack welds on the lockbar and tang effect the heat treat? :p

12. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    I would just buy him a new Delica he obviously gets his money's worth out of them.

13. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    I also vote for buying him a new one at ~$80, and making a fixed blade from the old one.

Or for a little more $ and something much tougher, a Gayle Bradley.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    This is why Laminated blades are more practical

Thanks for sharing.

15. ejames13

ejames13

Mar 30, 2015
    Spyderco will help you, but they'll charge you for it. I prefer it that way, because I don't break my knives. I'd rather not pay extra for "included" service that I'm never going to use. I agree though that blade replacement would be a nice option to have with Spyderco.

16. Stache Dude

Stache Dude

Jan 27, 2016
    Given how he treated the delica, I think a GB would develop some crazy rust in two to three weeks.

17. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    No more spydies for him.

Buy him a box knife.

18. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Yeah but as tough as it is, he could just throw it on the floor, break the rust loose and continue on. :)

19. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    NO!! these are the exact people that need a good knife, not the ones that baby them.

20. lreed

lreed

Dec 7, 2001
    Epoxy is a good idea!