Delica 4 zdp, time to rest?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jacktrades_nbk, May 1, 2016.

1. lreed

lreed

Dec 7, 2001
    I doubt he got his money's worth... I think he's using the zdp as a utility box cutter... and without proper sharpening, ZDP probably performs poorer than a cheap utility knife.

OP, next time you buy your dad a premium steel knife like zdp or s90v, pack a diamond sharpener stick together with the knife.

2. 19-3ben

19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    Not sure i understand.

The issue here is the notch on the back of the blade that catches the lock. It's worn/broken. Does blade lamination effect how likely it would be to suffer that failure?

Oh, and OP, for the record, Id get him an ESEE Izula or Izula 2. There's something very nice about a warrantee that says "no matter how you manage to break it, we'll give you a new one" when it comes to someone like your father. He is obviously hard on his knives. Get him a knife with a warrantee that backs up flat out abuse.

I used my Izula to pry an electric lug out of a outlet that was supposed to be dead, but was not. The sucker arced and electricity blew a chunk out of the blade. Sent an email to Mike Perrin explaining exactly what happened and that it was our fault. I even told him that if they don't want to cover it, i wouldn't fault them in the slightest. I had an email back that night authorizing me to send it in. I sent it to Rowen and got a brand new blade 2 weeks later. That's the kind of warrantee you want for your dad.

3. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    I meant VG10 not ZDP...unless like you suggest dad wants to learn how to use a sharpener for the ZDP premium steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Due to corrison, laminated with stainless would prevent that.

5. TravisH

TravisH Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Should work as the lockbar/blade junction is far from the edge, especially if the edge was heat-sinked in water. ;)

6. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    OP

If you must. Get him a H1 series blade. Plain edge.

And something to sharpen it other than concrete.

7. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I suggest you buy him an Enuff fixed blade for his work and a Manbug for his pocket.

8. remnar

remnar

Nov 14, 2013
    RIP-zdp!

Whatever you get to replace that knife, make sure that it's very stainless and not just kinda stainless like zdp-189. :D

9. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Agree... I'd add a Salt 1 or an ESEE 3 to that list.

10. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Since he always kept it open, the man needs a fixed blade. If it ain't fixed, what is it?

And hey, good on your father for actually using his knives. :thumbup: Knives with honest wear and character are much better to me than babied, kidd glove handled safe queens.

11. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    He said he likes that one, what is the problem, he asked? The knife has life in it, what if it's a bit shorter and doesn't lock, it can still be used.
    I bought a fixed hultafors hvk for him though, although it is carbon steel, and will try to weld the delica, either to make it lockable again, or turn it into a fixed blade, as he always keeps it opened around. Will see. And will try to thin the stock left to a more easier to manage degree.
    That must be the reason he doesn't sharpen it too much, and the "serrated" edge he gets from the concrete must be enough for his uses.
    I did sharpened it now for him, shaves hair, but i don't think that edge will last much :D
    Or, as suggested, will get him an H1 at some point, just to see what happens.
    He has some stones around the house to sharpen it , but as i know him, he wouldn't carry one with him. He just uses the knife, and if it doesn't cut, he tries to get an edge back from whatever is lying around so he can work again with it.

12. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    From the description on how he used it, a H1 Plain Edge will definitely fit the bill. It won't rust, and his sharpening using (whatever) will result better than a ZDP.

Thanks for sharing!

13. ToxicBot11

ToxicBot11

Apr 28, 2013
    Big difference between use and abuse..

14. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Sounds like a waste of a nice knife, amazing how some people mistreat (or downright abuse like here) their tools...sharpen on cement? You have got to be kidding me.

15. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I think many of us lose sight of the fact these are tools. If it's sharp enough and gets the job done for years at a time, what's the problem?

We're afficianados here, so we buy knives for a lot more than just work, but disdaining those that don't is just silly. I'm guessing that knife has done more honest work than the majority of our collections combined. Personally, I think that's something to admire.

16. neffarious

neffarious

Jun 23, 2012
    Well said.

17. Jabe1

Jabe1

Dec 3, 2015
    Not being a "knife guy", he used it like many people would. Knife, screwdriver, pry bar, shovel, chisel, etc.
    I think it did pretty well...

Get him a D'Eskebar and show him how to sharpen it. I saw them on sale recently. Tough, safe, inexpensive.

18. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Looks like that knife had a good, fulfilling life. A ranch dog of a knife, scarred and beat to hell but happy and smiling. :)

19. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Getting plenty of good use is great, I agree. Unfortunately, this one sounds like it was abused as much as used and as a result it's service life ended much sooner than a properly cared for tool's would have. But hey, his property and he can do with it as he pleases.

20. winnerone23

winnerone23 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I wouldn't say "a waste".. It apparently did it's job for a long period of time.

Abused, yeah, I can go with that..
    I have a 10/99 Microtech kestrel, I saved from the first owner. Had to sharpen out, live wire ark's, from him cutting wire..
    But used it daily for 7 years, in construction. But I can spydie flick it open, by the thumb stud, now..
    The action was cared for, but the blade was used like the OP's dad..

Sharpen on concrete... What's wrong with that?
    I've put shaving edge's on with concrete, rocks, the sides of cinder blocks, rusty metal handrails, the backs of shovels, etc.. Whatever gets the tool, back to sharp and doing its job.

After I got my SM, I gave it some edge love..
    [​IMG]
    Closer Spyder, to that kind of use, is my OG Manix in Foliage Green
    [​IMG]
    If you can sharpen, it doesn't matter what you use..

Hell, even with the Sharpmaker, I only use the diamond rods and strop..

Highly agreed and well put.