Design feedback on a general purpose survival. Now WIP. Done! :)

I'd prefer a higher primary bevel. That to me is as important as the secondary bevel in allowing a knife to really cut well.

I'm just typing out loud also :) all part of deciding the type of knife you want to create.

Thanks for the input. Made me think. The state of the knife right now is that it has a scandi grind and the "edge" is about 0,5mm thick. The angle is 22,5 deg. The goal i set was a zero scandi at 22,5 deg. I don't think i got the love or skills to bring the bevel up now that its hardened. What i can do if it's feels to chubby is turn it in to a convex grind.

Thanks for the input. Made me think. The state of the knife right now is that it has a scandi grind and the "edge" is about 0,5mm thick. The angle is 22,5 deg. The goal i set was a zero scandi at 22,5 deg. I don't think i got the love or skills to bring the bevel up now that its hardened. What i can do if it's feels to chubby is turn it in to a convex grind.
It will take more to properly convex it that to do a scandi. Didn't you make a jig?

A file jig. But i can slap sandpaper on to a stick an use it. I'm going to try it like it is first.

The problem right now is that even my coarsest stones is making this project a time gulper. It seems that they work fine first and den gets polished and starts to polish the steel. This is what the "edge" looks like now.

SKstenarsida.jpg

SKstenar.jpg

Far to fine scratches given i got 0,3mm to go.

agree with Rick, especially when it looks like your index finger is that close to the cutting edge. The prototype will tell you which way to go (either forward with it or forward to the hospital ;) ).

If you have a jig I'd recomend using that to get the edge cutting and stone after it cuts.

I really appreciate the input.

If it don't get this down I will re build the jig. It was built on my workbench so I take it apart when doing other stuff. But I think a zero scandi at 22,5 deg might not be to bad on this knife. A higher bevel looks nicer and slices nicer. But this is primely for batoning and carving. What would be the purpose of changing the bevel?

Went to paper at 80 grit and it looks alright and I took of 0,05 (from 0,30) in 20 min.

SKstenar80pappersida.jpg

SKstenar80papper.jpg

Ok. Down to 0,2mm on free hand. Pix are at 200x mag.

SKstenar80pappersidasteg2-1.jpg

SKstenar80pappersidasteg22.jpg

At this pace I will be down to a coarse edge in 4 hours. Four times faster than whit the stones.

Thanks dude!

Progression.

Paper 60, 120, 120 stone, 240, 320, 120 stone, 600, 800 stone, 1200, 6000 stone, strop, polish whit compound, polish whit out compound.

SKstenarpolished.jpg

SKstenarpolishedsida.jpg

The madness ends. I set the goal that the edge should be as fine as a high end Sheffield made scalpel.

IMG_06581.jpg

The picture below is my blade. The last step was to run it three times over glass. Edge first.

SKglassida.jpg

The picture below is a brand new Sheffield scalpel.

SKskalpellsida.jpg

I say mission accomplished. I push cuts through thin paper and you can dry shave the beard (all thou a shaving cream makes it more pleasant :)) . Time to mask it. And start thinking about the handle.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Q0anvoSCjF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0anvoSCjF8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I love it when a plan comes together... I couldn't stop reading this thread once i started. nice transformation as the pages went on mister Peppen, i am interested in seeing the finished product and hearing your feedback on it.

P.S. i would have picked "A" and left the integral guard, thats just me.

Thanks mate.

It's time to make the finale decisions.

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

So the handle will be in ivory white. The spacer will be a two tone paper micarta black and white.

I picked up a selection of 3mm rods at a RC store for radio controlled planes an such flying devices.

What do you think?

The choices
-carbon-steel rod
-hollow brass rod
-carbon-fiber rod
-glass-fiber rod

Last edited:
If the carbon fiber is the black one then I would choose that because it would set up the same contrast as the spacers you're using... Just my opinion I'm sure there will be others

Back