Did I just buy a fake ZT0301

Edit* removed link

I have always bought from known internet sellers or in person at a store but I wanted the 0301 badly and with eBay I got 6 mos same as cash financing so I pulled the trigger. The description sounds good comparing it with the specs found at gp knives.

I noticed it was a stock photo so I didnt really pay too much attention to it and focused on the description and also checked the sellers feedback. The feedback I found on the knives were positive and no one said anything about fakes. What scares me is that looking at the stock photo now (granted it's a stock photo) it doesnt have holes for a pocket clip on all 4 sides even though the description says it includes it.

The other ZTs the guy sells with the stock photo have the accurate pocket clip holes like this one:

Obviously I won't know for sure until I recieve the knife and look it over but does anyone see anything glaring in the description that I missed that screams "fake"? I'm new to ZTs and matching the specs up with the specs at gp knives looked good. Maybe the price should have been a give away but it was only $10 or so off from gp knives the difference being financing being available with eBay.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
That thumbstud looks all wrong, too. Hope you didn't get burned.

I had a 301 and the thumbstuds are not terraced like the ones in that photo and the tiger striping looks very different.

And I don't think the handle should be that narrow under the flipper, either.

if the knife you are getting matches the one in the photo there are some concerns. the thumb studs are usually just a cylinder with 3 steps in the top not ramps like the pic. also the thumb studs are the blade stop and should rest flush with the handle when open. the stripping is different as well it should be a little more even in its pattern

I agree, the photo is off. I should have looked at it but he is using a stock photo so I focused on the description. His description doesn't match his own photo since he says it has 4 spots for the pocket clip and the photo doesn't show that. The other photos he used look good like that serrated edge one I included. Hopefully he just got lazy choosing a stock photo from the Internet.

Since his description says it has 4 spot mounting for a pocket clip I think eBay would side with me if I feet what is in the photo since it doesn't match. Bah! This will teach me. It's going to be a rough next few days waiting for this thing to come...

How does the description look though? I thought it sounded fine. Did I miss anything?

The fact that it's a stock photo says plenty. There are numerous Skylines on eBay that show it with a flat grind because that's the original rendering of it that was published. It's not accurate, but that doesn't mean the dealer is selling fakes. I doubt they have over 20,000 positive feedback, 99.6% positive by selling fake high ticket knives.

Don't put much stake on the stock photo. It's just that.

You'll be fine, I'm 99.6% sure. Besides, eBay/PayPal have extremely good protections in place and large dealers like that are always willing to rectify a situation. There's nothing to worry about.

Personally, you should have asked Kershawguy if he had any in stock, but whatcha gunna do? :D

Last edited:
The fact that it's a stock photo says plenty. There are numerous Skylines on eBay that how it with a flat grind because that's the original rendering of it that was published. It's not accurate, but that doesn't mean the dealer is selling fakes. I doubt they have over 20,000 positive feedback, 99.6% positive by selling fake high ticket knives.

You'll be fine, I'm 99.6% sure. Besides, eBay/PayPal have extremely good protections in place and large dealers like that are always willing to rectify a situation. There's nothing to worry about.

Personally, you should have asked Kershawguy if he had any in stock, but whatcha gunna do? :D

this :thumbup:

The fact that it's a stock photo says plenty. There are numerous Skylines on eBay that show it with a flat grind because that's the original rendering of it that was published. It's not accurate, but that doesn't mean the dealer is selling fakes. I doubt they have over 20,000 positive feedback, 99.6% positive by selling fake high ticket knives.

Yea, this will teach me but without the financing through eBay I wouldn't be able to get it. I sent the guy a message and ill see what he says.

I did find the photo he used on a yahoo search. It was the second photo that came up so I think he just ran a search and grabbed that one..... Hopefully.

Thanks, I'll let you guys know how this goes.

hopefully it is just a bad pic, as long as the description is true it sounds alright.

Excellent! Thanks. This is what I went off of and his feedback. It wasn't until today that I finally looked at his stock photo and my blood pressure rose through the roof.

The photo he used for the serrated edge model he's got looks good

Hoping he was just was lazy with picking a stock photo

Thursday45, I know you're new here and got a bit worried about possibly getting a knock-off, but I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned PP has decent buyer protection.

What I would be concerned about is getting dinged by one of the Mods...linking to live auctions (or non-paying dealers) is highly frowned upon. You might want to edit your comments...

Thursday45, I know you're new here and got a bit worried about possibly getting a knock-off, but I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned PP has decent buyer protection.

What I would be concerned about is getting dinged by one of the Mods...linking to live auctions (or non-paying dealers) is highly frowned upon. You might want to edit your comments...

Opppps. Thank you very much for the heads up. Edited and sorry about that.

And thanks guys for the responses. I'll let you know what I get.

Well handled. :)

I received the knife today and it appears to be the real deal to me. If its not, its the greatest knockoff ever. Needless to say it looks nothing like the photo the guy used. Thankfully.

The only area of concern is that the relief cut in the frame look is straight and doesn't have a hole at the end like I've seen in photos. If that makes any sense at all. I do remember watching a video on the 0561 that ZT stopped cutting out a hole at the end in their newer models and left it as a straight cut on the frame lock. Can anyone confirm if they did this same thing for the 030x line as well?

Thanks again guys

Glad you didn't get ripped off!
Do you mean the milled out part where the lockbar bends? It might be on the inside of the lockbar.
Either way... POST PICS!

Back