Did someone say Pikuni?

1SKS

OneStopKnifeShop BladeForums Supporter!
Dealer / Materials Provider
<A href="http://onestopknifeshop.com/store/rekat-pikuni.html">Click Here to order!</A>

rek-pikuni.jpg

REKAT PIKUNI
New from REKAT, the Pikuni is a custom collaboration between award winning custom knife maker Rob Simonich and the REKAT design team.

In an exclusive deal with Round Eye Knife and Tool, BladeForums.com and OneStopKnifeShop.com is bringing you the first Pikuni's made.

The first 20 Pikunis with have a Satin finished D-2 blade and Carbon Fiber / G-10 laminate handle scales. All folowing Pikunis will have Stonewashed D-2 steel with standard G-10 handle scales.

Specs for: Pikuni
Length, Overall: 6.6"
Blade Length: 2.9"
Blade Material: Modified D-2
Handle Length: 3.43"
Handle Material: G-10
Weight:
Sheath Material: Concealex

The drop point blade measures 2.9" in length and is made from a modified D-2. Now, when the word "modified" is used in a description, it usally means that the material being described has been weakened. That is not the case with this D-2 - if anything, the steel is even tougher, with better edge holding and rust resistance.
The G-10 handles have been machined to include ergonomic finger grooves, while there is a serrated thumb ramp for increased pressure and control during cutting.

A custom made concealex sheath is included with each knife; waist carry is a breeze with the fast access clip, or the clip can be removed for comfortable, low profile, neck carry.

<A href="http://onestopknifeshop.com/store/rekat-pikuni.html">Click Here to order!</A>

------------------
Every knife from every major manufacturer. If you don't see it, don't worry we can get it.
www.onestopknifeshop.com
Call 1-800-956-4652 to Order
Call 1-904-739-3438 for INFO
Sales at 1SKS help support this forum!
1SKS is a WOW company!

SCHWEEET!!! Gotta have it, gotta have it, gotta have it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
iktomi

I guess this means the pre-ordered Pikunis (did I get the name right this time?
eek.gif
) are on the way out? Hmmm?

How about a pic of the Carbon Fibre handle? I'd love a sneak preview of my future daily carry
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Kallisti (edited 11-23-2000).]

Sooooo.... have they shipped out yet?

------------------
iktomi

Well,

I just talked to 1SKS as e-mails and posts here were getting no response. They said the G10 Pikunis were in and ready to ship and that they expect the carbon fiber versions to ship in "10 to 14 days". Guess you can't rush a good knife...

Kallisti.

iktomi; and Kallisti, to basically just paste in my post from the other similar thread:

Got Mine!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

#25 of 50, G-10 handle

Very nice! Very sharp--hair popping.

Grind lines of the edge bevel are slightly uneven, along length and between sides.

Easily slices little curls off of copy paper just fine. Push cuts of little paper curls are more problematical. These are 1/2 sheets of scrap paper that have been through the laser printer. At first my results were yes it push cuts, then no it does not, ...is one spot a little less sharp...?? After slight experimentation, it appears that the grain of the paper makes a difference. No, along the bottom and top edges of what was formerly an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper; Yes, along the sides. By pushcuts, I mean cutting off curls of paper without moving the knife too much in a slicing fashion, rather mostly just pushing it through the paper.

P.S. It arrived UPS "Delivered on: Nov 29, 2000 4:46 P.M."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Donald (edited 11-29-2000).]

More Pikuni facts that as of yet I do not see mentioned by 1SKS:
The concealex sheath and knife combined is 5.1 ounces. Knife alone= 3.3 ounces. Sheath alone is 1.9 ounces. I know these figures do not quite add correctly, so NO jokes about me being from Florida
wink.gif
The digital postal scale is only accurate to tenth's of an ounce.

More knife comments:
The sheath is very nice. I'll have to go out and get some ball chain and try it as a neck knife. It appears the clip which will slip onto a belt--without opening the belt-- will fit about a 1.75" belt with a little room to spare. (Anyone have any tips about how to get parachute cord over ball chain? The last time I did it I had a lot of trouble, perhaps it has to do with relative sizing of the cord and the chain. I tried a little beeswax which seemed to help some.)

The swedge on my knife starts about 1/8" sooner on the right than on the left, with the tip pointing away. The tip is slightly off center.

The handle is nicely fitted to the knife, but I think I will soften some of the G-10 edges with some fine emery cloth. The upper back where the butt of the knife starts to curve might otherwise result in some hot spots in this three finger knife. In other words, where the differing curves of the G-10 meet it forms a subtle point, that while not particularly sharp, is still noticable in a hard material like G-10.

Sheath retention of the knife is about good, not too tight, not lose. I hope it stays this way after a few hundred draws.

Thumb grooves feel OK, and leave me speculating as to how they are made. It appears almost that they were cut, and then hammed in a little to keep them from being too aggressive. If you look at them the grooves that go across are uneven, a groove with protrusions into it, which led to my above speculation, inacurate though it may be.
wink.gif

Donald.

The other Pikuni thread, with the picture of the custom carbon fiber handle... http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000572.html

Donald, to cover the chain with cord I have a piece of small rod that I turned a little ball on, then attach the chain to the cord and pull through. But in your case use a piece of stiff wireand tie, tape, etc the chain onto and pull through.

I havent seen a whole REKAT Pikuni yet, but looking good! Arent those sheaths great!

Rob, Thanks for the tips.
smile.gif

I believe you either left out a word or two, when you said, “attach the chain to the cord[/] and pull through” or you meant to say attach to the rod “rod.” Of course, perhaps your rod is hollow and you run a cord through it to hold the chain to the rod. Perplexed!!! The question becomes, how do you attach the rod to the chain?

I believe, while typing this, inspiration dawned! You turned the ball on the end of the rod, so you could snap it to the snap connector and then you pull it through. Is this your method?

If my postulation is correct, I wish I had a ball and chain;
wink.gif
or is that ball and rod; or ball, rod, chain, and connector. OK, so I had too much iced tea at lunch.
smile.gif

How large in diameter is your connector? ...chain? Perhaps the stainless steel chain I picked up at the hardware store is slightly larger or my cord (7 strand internal threads) is slightly small. Perhaps I could do it since the rod would give me leverage, but as I recall, I barely fit the chain through the parachute cord, much less a connector. I do recall either using a piece of wire and/or a piece of string (with some tying/wrapping and tapered tape) to pull the chain though the cord.

In any event, I am going to pick up some more chain and try out that great sheath ,
biggrin.gif
even if I have to leave the chain bare for a while. Ooooch, Ouch, Ouch, ....... hope no one notices those little twitches when a hair or two goes.....

Since I received the knife at work–in an office– I couldn’t exactly clip it on my belt and walk around with it, although I did show it to the other knifeknut. I really would have liked a neck chain so I could have removed the clip and tried carrying it around my neck. My tie would have covered up the evidence. Sort of like getting a new flashlight and not having any batteries.
frown.gif

Great knife and sheath. There are some advantages to being close to Jacksonville.
biggrin.gif
I wait to hear what others say. I hope I received the only one, ground slightly off. It is not too much. I don’t know yet how much effect it has as I haven’t figured out how to slip another knife into kitchen and yard duty. I am still thanking a favorite deity (take your pick), that my Kanji was not noticed !!!
biggrin.gif

The ball chain I was trying to use is stainless #6 ball chain, which means the balls are about 2/16" in diameter. I think my chain is probably just too big.

Originally posted by Donald:
(Anyone have any tips about how to get parachute cord over ball chain?

Take a bundle of paracord (before cutting a piece off) and tie the internal threading to the ball chain... Then measure off a length of paracord a little longer than the ball chain and cut (hold onto the end so that the internal threading doesn't get lost inside the paracord). Grab the internal threading inside the piece of paracord and pull the ball chain through....

Trim the paracord to fit the ball chain...Use a lighter to melt the ends of the paracord to the ball chain near the snaps so that the snap doesn't get lost under the paracord.. and voila.

-ZZ

ZZ,

Thanks. I tried that. It turns out that my problem is the the stainless steel ball chain I was trying to use is too big in diameter. Rob, for instance was kind enough to reply. He uses #3, which has 3/32" balls. He also mentioned that the method that I finally figured out was correct, in that he turned a ball on the end of a brass rod and then just snaps it to the snap/chain and pulls it through. Sounds like a great method.

I'll probably just have to settle for doing it the way you (zz) suggests, pulling it through with one of the internal strings. I did manage to do that once, but it took me a lot of effort and about an hour, big balls, what can I say, to get the chain through the paracord.

Mine are big brass balls.Nah,i'm just pulling
your chain.

[This message has been edited by sky masterson (edited 12-03-2000).]

Rockspyder, [or anyone expecting a Pikuni,]

Has your Pikuni arrived yet? Maryland isnt'that far away from Jacksonville, FL! I've driven there, from Miami, FL, in 20 hours or so.

I used it every chance I got over the weekend, as a neck knife. Sliced, diced, and opened everything very handily. I even loaned it to the salesman at Jet Outdoors so he could open the Lodge Cast Iron Chicken Fryer for my inspection. (Thinking of giving a cast iron skillet---one made in the USA--to an inlaw for Christmas, and that was as close as they had in stock.)

Donald.

Small world...I'm still waiting for a CF version, and just noticed the reference to Jets...heh...bought some camping stuff from them recently for a weekend of mosquito swatting in the everglades...

Originally posted by Donald:
I used it every chance I got over the weekend, as a neck knife. Sliced, diced, and opened everything very handily. I even loaned it to the salesman at Jet Outdoors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Donald:
Rockspyder, [or anyone expecting a Pikuni,]

Has your Pikuni arrived yet? Maryland isnt'that far away from Jacksonville, FL! I've driven there, from Miami, FL, in 20 hours or so.</font>

Nope! Here it is on Tuesday, and I'm still waiting for Pikuni #24, which, unless something has changed, is a G10 version that should have gone out no later than last Tuesday. I do believe that I've had packages arrive (via the same USPS) from the west coast in this amount of time. Which is why I'm starting to get a little worried. I already bugged Mike yesterday about whether all of the G10 Pikunis have in fact been sent. He said they all were, as of last Tuesday. I've already been to the PO twice today. No luck.....
frown.gif

------------------
iktomi

Hey RockS,
At this rate I'll be getting my Talonite Pikuni with Australian Ringed Gidgee wood scales before you get yours - BUMMER! I have a D-2 w/Micarta and a "baby" Talonite Pikuni known as the Nighthawk(#1 of 25) with 2.5" blade & Carbon Fiber scales from Rob already & they are incredible. If you're up in the N. VA. area let me know - you can stop by & see what yours is going to look & feel like. I feel your pain having & getting to use these wonderful tools every day - you will be surprised just how good they are WHEN you finally get yours. Anything Rob is associated with is going to be good so hang in there - it will come, eventually.

Have a nice day!
Bill

Hey Bill, are you going to the Timonium MD show? I plan on being there, and am REALLY hoping that I'll have the Pikuni by then.

So you nabbed that Nighthawk off, what was it, KnifeArt? BladeArt? Anyway... I saw it, and almost bought it myself, then saw the size. While the size is more than enough, I'm sure, I'm starting to want slightly longer blades (4 to 5 inch range). Yeah, yeah, I know... the Pikuni that I ordered is 3 inches (or less), but.... well, what can I say... sometimes ya just gotta!
redface.gif

------------------
iktomi

Another day down the tubes.... no Pikuni.
mad.gif

------------------
iktomi

Back