Did someone say Pikuni?

RockS,
I may or may not make Timonium - I have to open the Club at 5:30A.M. - if I can get off around 10:00 rather than 12:00 I may make the trip. Hope you get your Pikuni - I'm waiting for the Talonite one from Rob & a Scorpion from Darrel Ralph - 5" D-2 blade, anodized Ti bolsters & Carbon Fiber inset scales - it should be one big nice mothuh!

The Nighthawk I got is a baby Pikuni - Rob is doing 25 in collaboration with Larry at KnifeArt - I got #1(marked) - it is on the small side but it is as sharp as any knife in the house(including RJ Martin's) & is perfect for utility use since it doesn't scare people at the Club I work at.

If I make Timonium I'll have Pikuni, Nighthawk & 3V Arclite plus Chimera, D/A Larry Chew, 2 Simonich Carnivours, Apogee, at least 1 Carson & RJ Martin Quickening at minimum - I plan to give Dexter a run for the money on knives carried!

Have a nice day!
Bill

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I plan to give Dexter a run for the money on knives carried!</font>

Bill - you will win hands down, as I will not be at Timonium
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

However, if you are going to the 2001 Blade Show...look out
smile.gif

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

Whenever anybody does a What'cha got in your pockets thread, Bill always wins.
smile.gif

I am disapointed in quality control, shipped my Pikuni #36 with G10 back to 1SKS.

The blade grind was poor with edges very different on opposite sides.

Best part of this knife is the Mike Sastri Sheath, exceptional quality and perfect fit.

FK

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FK:
I am disapointed in quality control, shipped my Pikuni #36 with G10 back to 1SKS.
</font>

I cancelled my order the day after I saw the picture at the beginning of this thread. Kinda disappointed. I think REKAT's going to regret not paying more attention to detail.

FK - I also bought a Pikuni (#40) and got it the day before yesterday. I took it out of the box and I could not believe what I was looking at. I was asking myself how REKAT could let a knife in that condition go to the market. Cutting edge grinds were off, one of the G-10 scales didn't sit flat on the tang, and the other G-10 scale looked like someone peined the texturing with a marble (best way to describe what it looks like). It went back in the box as fast as it came out and back to 1SKS.

Not only was I disappointed with my new toy being in this condition, but also for Rob since his name is one the knife.

However, I do want to get another as long as I can check it out before paying. When done right, this is a pretty killer little fixed blade. And yes, the sheath pretty much rocks! Sastre always does great work.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dexter Ewing (edited 12-07-2000).]

Started a new post before I saw the latest addition to this one. Didn't mind the fit and finish too much, it was the damaged edge that got to me. Still debating sending it back or reprofiling the edge.

BFM - send it back. When one buys a new production knife, it should be perfect out of the box (or tube, in REKAT's case
wink.gif
) in terms of manufacturing quality. Either they will fix it or replace the knife at no charge. With your knife they'd probably re-grind the edge. They need to see stuff like this if they want to improve their QC

------------------

OwenM,

What did you see in the picture that I am missing? I will admit that I was not satisfied with the Edge profile on #39 and spent several hours reprofiling it to 30 degrees with my Spyerco 204. But I don't see any Red Flags in the photo.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Thanks Steve! That's what those girls from Memphis said! I always like to have appropriate tools ready-at-hand - you never know when they will be needed.

Dexter - I didn't make Timonium after all but I will be at Blade 2001 - I will have some new goodies from Darrel, Rob, Kit, Dave Ellis, Don Fogg in addition to those previously mentioned so I'll be ready - we may have to lay everything out on a table & see who salutes! I'm really looking forward to Blade this year!

That is really surprising that the Pikuni's are coming through like that - I can't imagine that REKAT will let that continue, especially since it seems to be many of them have problems with the edges. Hopefully the problems will be fixed sooner rather than later, especially for Rob's sake since everything associated with him is first-rate
(e.g. Camillus Talon). And it is an awesome little knife!

Have a nice day!
Bill

Guys - how about an updated estimate on the delivery of the CF Pikunis?

I'm not rushing or impatient - rather the opposite is true. I'd prefer to wait and have it done right the first time around.

What's a worst case estimate?

Thanks -

-ZZ

----------

P.S-> As far as 1sks, I was billed a couple of days back, but the knife hasn't shipped yet...which doesn't make sense...

From 1sks's website:

"Backordered items are shipped when we receive them."

"You will not be billed until the item you have ordered is secured from the supplier."

"If you have any questions please call or email us."

I've e-mailed 1sks, but have yet to receive a reply...which leaves me a little disappointed.

It seems REKAT is having a QC problem. I hope
they get a handle on it quickly. I seemed to remember they had a QC problem a few years back and I hope this isn't a recurring problem. I love my REKATS and would like to add more, as long as the Quality is there.

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 12-12-2000).]

SDouglas,
I can't help but compare the photo at the beginning of this post with this: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005474&a=7399570&p=25169050&Sequence=0

Lots of differences that I can see, none favoring the production version(all this based on the photos). Starting at the tip, well the edge doesn't go all the way to the tip. The edge doesn't look too even, either. The blade is ground differently, the thumbramp doesn't blend well, the guard isn't grooved. The two logos side by side on the blade looks like crap, and the G-10 handles look horrible. They don't seem to be fit well, aren't rounded, and the holes look like someone pounded a drill bit through from the backside with a hammer.
The Simonich has a flow, it all goes together, and it all looks "just right". Rather than a production version, the REKAT looks like a cheap knockoff. That's why I canceled my order.

Also, I see this post regarding cancelling warranties, because of tampering. They're talking about cancelling your warranty if the loc-tite is broken on a screw? I know this is about folders, not the Pikuni, but that just turned me off some more. What total bull****. Other companies like Benchmade will charge a customer to put a disassembled knife back together, but if you take one apart, and put it back like it was, they don't know or care. Killing a warranty because somebody got a knife whose scales weren't lined up, and they had to loosen the screws to straighten it is ridiculous. I think it's safe to say I'll never buy another REKAT.

Let me retract that last statement. If the problems with the Pikunis are worked out, and I handle one that is to my liking, I would buy it without hesitation. Probably stay away from the folders, though. From Rob's other post, it sounds as if REKAT wants to make good on the Pikuni. No problems, there.

[This message has been edited by OwenM (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by OwenM (edited 12-14-2000).]

Dang, Owen, you must have sharp eyes to tell all that from just the picture that 1SKS posted!!
eek.gif

As I've stated elsewhere, my Pikuni came in with about 1/16 inch not ground near the tip. Already sorta started fixing that, then decided why bother when it's shaving sharp anyway, even there. It will get dull, and I'll fix it then. Yeah, the scales are nothing like those on the Talon, but, hey, they have a nice texture on mine (not unlike the texture of my BF Native). They fit well, although not perfectly flush. Not a big deal to me. Now, if I had gotten something like Dexter did, it would have gone back in the box immediately, because he had problems that I couldn't fix. All mine, I can fix. I bought mine as a user, not a collector (sorry Mike, I guess in the end, the certificate was wasted on me, even though I am glad I got one). And it will work great as a collector. The only real disappointment on mine is the handle. While I knew it was small, and 3-finger grip, it was my first try at one, and I like it less than I thought I would. No fault of REKAT or Rob there. I just won't be looking for another one. The blade is great, though.

I've already bought the G10 to change the handle scales. Broken loc-tite. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Who cares! When I get done, this sucker's gonna have green/black G10 contoured scales (well, at least that's what I'm shooting for; I hope I can do a decent job)!

I'm not taking up for REKAT. Even the little thing with the tip or mine is worse than I would expect from anyone putting out a knife. GEEZ! Imagine if someone like, say, Lynn Griffith did something like. Poor guy would be run out of town on rails, and/or lynched! But, I'm not sending mine back.

------------------
iktomi

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rockspyder:
Dang, Owen, you must have sharp eyes to tell all that from just the picture that 1SKS posted!!
eek.gif

</font>

Yeah, I've been called picky before! Anal is more like it, here lately. Must be going through one of those phases. But, hey, it's my dinero. Lot's of companies have problems when they first produce a product. But that's their problem. I just don't want it to become mine
smile.gif

Back