Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Thank you Chin. I almost always use mosaic pins on a bolster. I got tired of driving myself crazy trying to blend a brass pin into a brass bolster. I'm actually pretty darn good at it but ya get a different alloy of brass in the pin than the bolster material and it don't matter how good ya are. So it was one of those can't beat em join em deals. I think one of the problems was the large groups that I tend to work in, tough to match pins and bolster material. Now I don't have too. Anyhoo its kinda become a signature deal for me. Yes its AEB-L at 62RC and ground THIN so its a slicing son of a gun. Yes its bocote, I use a lot of that wood. It works well in the kitchen and on the ranch too. Loveless bolts in the handle. That's kinda standard for me on a kitchen knives. Thanks again for the kind words.

Yes its AEB-L at 62RC and ground THIN so its a slicing son of a gun. Yes its bocote, I use a lot of that wood. It works well in the kitchen and on the ranch too. Loveless bolts in the handle. That's kinda standard for me on a kitchen knives.

Thanks Dave: it's interesting to hear how you came to adopt those mosaic bolster pins as part of your signature style.

Sometimes I think big, ornate mosaic handle pins can look a bit overdone: the way you use small pins in the bolster, combined with the Loveless bolts, looks very understated and classy.

I have a custom kitchen knife in AEB-L that gets used every day - I agree, it's a great working steel in a thin slicer.

Thanks again, I always enjoy seeing your work.:thumbsup:

Thank you Chin. I almost always use mosaic pins on a bolster. I got tired of driving myself crazy trying to blend a brass pin into a brass bolster. I'm actually pretty darn good at it but ya get a different alloy of brass in the pin than the bolster material and it don't matter how good ya are. So it was one of those can't beat em join em deals. I think one of the problems was the large groups that I tend to work in, tough to match pins and bolster material. Now I don't have too. Anyhoo its kinda become a signature deal for me. Yes its AEB-L at 62RC and ground THIN so its a slicing son of a gun. Yes its bocote, I use a lot of that wood. It works well in the kitchen and on the ranch too. Loveless bolts in the handle. That's kinda standard for me on a kitchen knives. Thanks again for the kind words.
Great looking products you make! Are the mosaic pins able to be peened or are they epoxied in place?

Thanks guys!

Mark, yes sir, they are peened. The pin holes in the bolster are tapered so they are peened into being a rivet for all intents and purposes.

Chin I make my own roundknives for cutting leather as well. These are used in our shop on a daily basis, sometimes for hours at a time. They are all AEB-L but I do run em a little harder. They are at 63RC. They will cut and cut and cut. I might touch up the edge on the buffer (green scratch remover) couple times a day when being used a lot but they see a stone maybe every 3-4 months. AEB-L really is a great working steel. I use it on hoof knives as well, got four of those off at heat treat right now.

These roundknives are so sharp that the secret is not sticking them into the cutting board when using them. I had to get this special Hydroma cutting board, they'd get stuck easily in everything else:

7MGrY8W.jpg

G8DKAEy.jpg

a0A0Poy.jpg

FmIrBVF.jpg

The wife's:

k4ZuO20.jpg

My Unicorn Ivory Acrylic #25 Little Barlow has proved itself a solid little worker. I've been carrying and using it with great satisfaction. It's such an easy to carry and practical knife. The Unicorn Ivory Acrylic has also surprised me a couple times, being that I've dropped it on both hard wood and asphalt without any cracking or chipping.

It makes for a nice fruit slicer to prep strawberries for dehydration:

Ukhj0pTm.jpg

It does well in food prep on smaller vegetables like peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and even cucumber. It cuts through hard boilies like butter:

l5LuxRSm.jpg

lDvBduvm.jpg

And it takes a very handsome patina contrasted against the creamy white scales:

0aNTGqIm.jpg

pnPrPJym.jpg

Great action pics Jack.:thumbsup:

On seeing your Lambsfoot-slicing-garlic pic, this scene from Goodfellas came to mind!:D

I used the awl on my Pioneer to bore out a wood bead to take a double width paracord lanyard.

LvQmGAn.jpg

Thanks pal, it's been a while since I took any pics in the kitchen. I reckon I think of that scene every time I cut garlic with a pocket knife! :D Nice kit there :thumbsup:

Chin I make my own roundknives for cutting leather as well. These are used in our shop on a daily basis, sometimes for hours at a time. They are all AEB-L but I do run em a little harder. They are at 63RC. They will cut and cut and cut. I might touch up the edge on the buffer (green scratch remover) couple times a day when being used a lot but they see a stone maybe every 3-4 months. AEB-L really is a great working steel. I use it on hoof knives as well, got four of those off at heat treat right now.

These roundknives are so sharp that the secret is not sticking them into the cutting board when using them. I had to get this special Hydroma cutting board, they'd get stuck easily in everything else:

7MGrY8W.jpg

G8DKAEy.jpg

a0A0Poy.jpg

FmIrBVF.jpg

The wife's:

k4ZuO20.jpg

Thanks Dave. I've admired those roundknives before, in one of your other posts, so thanks for the further thoughts and info on them. Excellent detail with your lanyard tube running through a mosaic pin.

Very interesting to hear your notes on AEB-L.

Have you ever been tempted to try using the roundknives in the kitchen? A friend and I were discussing this blade shape a couple of days ago, as she was describing seeing an Inuit woman using an ulu to great effect, skinning a bear.

Just superb photos: first the handcrafted tool, then the handcrafts the tool produces. Outstanding work.:cool::thumbsup:

Thanks pal, it's been a while since I took any pics in the kitchen. I reckon I think of that scene every time I cut garlic with a pocket knife! :D Nice kit there :thumbsup:

LOL, same here!:D

My ox horn Lambfoot trimming down some chilli stalks:

FTr8j1k.jpg

I wonder how many people feel this way. I also cannot prepare garlic without thinking of this scene!

So not something a guy gets to do everyday with his knife:

So working on a pair of buffalo wooly chaps. Cutting the wool patch pieces over sized to fit onto the chap legs. Not exactly a traditional here but we're getting there:

o7Bi5xa.jpg

So got the oversized pieces glued to the chap legs. That inside seam is glued but needs to be sewn down too.

fiJ0uT5.jpg

To sew this stuff a guy has to trim back the hair so he can sew the leather of the wooly hide to the leather of the leg. Normally I use a pair of scissors for this. However the scissors just bounced off this stuff. To the rescue, my own little EDC:

dyj3msR.jpg

Worked like a charm:

vjYhZK2.jpg

Gotta love A2 at 62RC, hollow ground, with a tapered tang and an elk handle. Specially when its only 5.25" oal and so ya always got it on ya cause it don't get in the way.

p3iMKQo.jpg

Worked great a guy can be proud of that stitching:

dfOCW5R.jpg

So I'm sitting around drinking my coffee this morning thinking about how to get a patina started on my new WLST, when my best friend shows up with a bag of dove breasts for me. :D That should do it.
Unicorn with doves 1.jpg
Unicorn with doves  3 .jpg Deboned and marinating in garlic and balsamic vinegar and will be pan seared in olive oil and rosemary tomorrow.

Back