Different Khuk for Bawanna's Project

O.K., Bawanna. I'm done experimenting. What do you think of this? Only had some poisonous scrap SOFT wood to try it on, so the burning turned out fuzzy. The soft wood gets greasy under the heat and the iron wants to slide on you. Definitely not like them laser etch-a-sketches. I figure the shaft is too long for my taste, (couple three inches shorter would make for a better control touch) but if you want to try this and put it to good use, do what you see fit with it. Modify it as you will, or make a better one based off this one.DSC06868.JPG DSC06874.JPG

That's outstanding Bookie! Never would of thunk of it, your a genius.

The wood I'll use will undoubtedly be soft but I'll rig something to hold it steady.

I think with some experimentation in the application we can make it work fine and dandy.

That's really cool.

The brand looks like it was a little too hot. I've had that trouble before, too cool you don't get the complete image - too hot you loose detail and crisp edges.

Well Bookies efforts inspired me to get off the drawing board and make sawdust.

My first prototype. I want to gain a bit of height to allow for longer, more curved blades. I'm pretty sure even a Falcata with the cane handle will work, top rack for sure, bottom probably.
Here's my 25'' Siru and Agni Jowala on the rack.

Just a first attempt but it's looking promising. I might at a little style on the base. Need to find some quality material to line the uprights so the knife has something nice and comfy to rest on.
The spindle sander I got last week is going to be a real help when I get into production.

Off to the showers for me. Been going all day, plumb used up. I can rest tomorrow at work I guess.

Wow Bawanna, that is looking amazing! Glad to contribute to this project! But praise goes to you and your genius!
Can’t wait to see the outcome and first in line for a purchase!!

P.S. Love Bookies Khukri emblem!

Thought I’d tell you. I’ve got a 3 or 4 tier wooden sword stand I forgot about! I’ll post a picture to keep your wheels turning!!

I just applied the patent pending Bookie khukri branding iron and I'm pleased to announce that it worked perfectly. I do mean perfect. I was able to apparently get it to the right temp and it worked good. One of two were a bit light and I was able to reheat and set it right over the first burn and make it perfect. I'm sooooooo happy.

One bit of knowledge to share. Do NOT heat the khukri up and then try to hold it in your hand. This is a very bad thing to do, I don't know why I'm cursed with the habit of touching stuff that is really really hot.

Pictures shortly.

You know, Joe. Back in the days down in Missouri when we lived on the knob, we had this ol' pot-bellied stove. Burnt coal. It'd get red hot on the outside and no one ever told us not to touch it. Never got burnt once 'cept when my littlest sister fell and put her hand on it. You related to her, mebbee?

Some progress shots of the stand project. Down to 10, 2 didn't make it past quality control.

Had a last minute design change then the branding and finishing. On the drying rack.
Probably should have had a bit more ventilation, I'm very happy!

A shot of the patent pending Khukri branding. I've very pleased with how it's working. Bookie was plumb genius to think that up and build it.

Have a special one of a kind adjustable rack for Yangdu. I'm kind of tickled with it but I'll keep that under my vest till I get it sent off. You guys torture me all the time, consider this a pay back.

Mr Joe they look beautiful! You know I’m buying at least one, right? HI has needed something like this to offer! Genius idea!

Last edited:
Sorry, Bawanna. I hate to say this, but you're incorrectomundo again. I'm not genius. Only mildly lukewarm intelligence wise. The khuk display stands look out of this world. Once again I tip my hat to your efforts. If Mrs. Martino could sell some, I could see some new khuks on your wall, the kami medical fund getting larger and you retiring from the thin blue line.

This is a karma effort on my part. I'm in it for fun. Hope she can sell them for a goodly amount to help her and the folks in Nepal.
I can't be a Gurkha, will never be a kami, maybe this would qualify as a Sarki apprentice, probably as close to a Gurkha as I'll ever get.
I thought I was close but the wife came up with some nice enhancements which are in the works as we speak.
Hoping to get the first 10 plus Yangdu's special one off this week. Will start on the next batch quick as I get some more wood.

Got a shotgun refinish in the works, very old Remington Semi that I don't know my way around. Got the wood off and nearly all sanded up but the inside of the gun is nasty and gosh durned if I can get it apart YET. Got a lot off it, hope I can get it back together but first have to get it apart a little more.
I do kind of like a challenge but this might be too much for me, a simple dirt farmer from Missouri.

I do so look forward to retiring from the thin blue line but the way the numbers look I think I'll be about 96 if I still do odd jobs to make ends meet. Just ain't right but alas it is what it is.

You using Kroil or auto tranny fluid with acetone mixed in?
Saving some walnut for you, Bawanna.

Yeah using lots of Kroil, I love that stuff, use it for after shave. Works great for the tight screws, just can't figure out the right move to get the bolt out, it's a very old Remington auto shotgun, none of my books show it. Can't be that tough but I'm not hitting on the right move.
You da man stwm. I do love walnut.

...can't figure out the right move to get the bolt out, it's a very old Remington auto shotgun, none of my books show it...

I don't know if this video applies, but a quick glance found a section about the bolt which said how some part was screwed in, but "some of these will be bronzed in place, possibly as a repair."

Back