Disc grinder/sander WIP

I'd like the prints as well if I could thanks.

I've got a machine shop just down the road and I've been itching to get some welding done in my shop!

Cut some more of these out. I have been making them for some knifemaking friends. If any of you have made the table, I would love to hear some feedback.
Things to note.
I don't use a bolt in the pivot curved slot. It's just not necessary to lock it down. I use 5/16" allen key countersunk bolts without countersinking the material and it really locks the table down by pinching the 2 flat surfaces together.
The plans are for 3/16" thick plate. If you make it out of thicker stock 2 slots need to be opened up for the table arms and you'll have to take material off the top of the pivot plates to bring the table height down to the center of the wheel.
The whole project requires a sheet 31.68" high by 11.56" wide. Obviously you'll want a slightly oversized piece to allow room for cutting.
Weld the table and pivots last, once you have your motor and disc in place. That will locate the table and keep it centered in relation to the disc in pretty much any angle.
Here's the link to the plans.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AVAwi_4ERwVVd6d0Z3Y25qV1k/view?usp=sharing
[video=youtube;X8H7jaeZviM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8H7jaeZviM[/video]

Pretty inspiring, giving me ideas.
One thing- if you put the pivot in line with where the table meets the disk, rather than several inches below, wouldn't it keep the table virtually in the same place as you adjust the angle?
As it's made, it looks like I'd have to adjust the horizontal travel every time I adjust the angle, to keep the table close to the disk.

Pretty inspiring, giving me ideas.
One thing- if you put the pivot in line with where the table meets the disk, rather than several inches below, wouldn't it keep the table virtually in the same place as you adjust the angle?
As it's made, it looks like I'd have to adjust the horizontal travel every time I adjust the angle, to keep the table close to the disk.
The only way I see that happening is with tabs that are not removable. Even then the pivot would have to be perfectly inline with the front of the disc and the surface of the table. I think it would really limit the articulation of the table. When designing this it was important to have unobstructed access to the full disc. I use the table and the bare disc about an equal amount. It literally takes seconds to move closer to the disc. And the same amount of time to remove the table. But then again I always have my cordless impact on my bench as all my tools require the same Allen key, even my Bruce bump file guide.

Kevin,
Sales Content Removed

Steve

Steve - Please - No buying/selling/sales talk in Shop Talk - The Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to repeat something that should not need repeating:
All talk about selling, buying, prices, etc. is strictly forbidden in all but The Exchange.
Members who have Registered User or Basic memberships are not allowed to post any sales related talk at all. Knifemaker membership and Dealers/Service Providers have the privilege of talking about the products and knives that they sell, but can not do business in any place but The Exchange.

If you have an offer, want to sell something, or want to discuss any sales related stuff ... send an email or PM ... but keep it out of Shop Talk.

I won't close this thread, because it is good info, but tis is how good threads get closed.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for the file that Kevin posted. It no longer seems available and I'm wondering if anyone knows/has a copy? Kevin's last activity was August 2017, so I'm not too optimistic about him seeing this...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or, KC Custom, do you still have the pics of the rest you posted? Thanks in advance.
@PEU @Josh Rider K Kevin Powers @kc custom

Good to see this still getting some use. I obviously have been going through some things that have impacted my knife making endeavors but I'm back. I obviously don't have notifications on. If anyone would like the file you can use the one posted up above. My email is still in my profile if you have build questions or anything else.
I brought a few of these to the Weurtz hammer in earlier this year and a lot of makers gave me feedback on the base plate sticking out further than the wheel. Seems a lot of people use the wheel while grinding vertically(something I haven't done). It is an easy modification to the file or a quick job with a cutting wheel. Something I just hadn't thought of.

Thanks again for putting this out there. I'm currently trying to get a quote on having it cut. I guess it's not a big enough job as I'm having trouble getting a response from a plasma guy and a waterjet place.

Back