• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Discount Knives: Bad

I placed an order from discountknives.com in late September/early October. After 2-3 weeks, nothing had arrived, so I wrote a follow up email. Three days later I wrote another and received a response that one item had been backordered, so my order was on hold. I was given the option of canceling the back ordered item and shipping the rest of the order, which I accepted. Over two weeks later, still nothing has arrived, so I have requested that the order be canceled.

At the least, I expect notification of back ordered items and prompt response to inquiry's on order status. Based on my experience, I cannot recommend this company. Apparently others have received good service, but I have not.

I had warned everybody before, but you are the last one knew the " TRUTH " through their hospitality.

Note: I expect receive threatening messagem from them. just like last time I told the "TRUTH" .

Maybe if the TRUTH was a little more coherent. I don't understand what you're saying.

I placed a credit card order with Discount knives on 10-24 and received an automated confirmation on 10-25. On 11-6, I e-mailed them asking about the status of the order...haven't heard from them yet. Like JW, I think these dealers should have the courtesy to respond to their customers and notify them if the item(s) are not in stock. Some people have said call them first. My feeling is that these people are selling from their websites so it's up to them to keep them reasonably up to date. From now on, I'm going to make my inquiries up front with these internet dealers, not just blindly order. The dealers who respond promptly to my initial inquiry will get my business(even if they are a little higher priced than others) and I won't waste my time or money with the others. If you have to go through this sort of thing to get a knife, I hate to think what I would have to go through to return one. Bruce

I've only had good experiences with Brian, and I've ordered a lot in the past. All my items have always come in a timely manner and in perfect condition, well packaged and not defective (I ask him to inspect for quality control errors, and he inspects for me). He responds to my e-mail the next business day, usually in the morning. I've never had any bad experiences at all with him. Not to say that errors aren't possible, but just voicing my opinion that Brian is a good reputable dealer.

------------------
bc2000logo.gif

Chang and the Rebels of the East
(Southern Taiwan Shall Rise Again!)

Originally posted by swa737:
From now on, I'm going to make my inquiries up front with these internet dealers, not just blindly order. Bruce

I've found that to be a good way to do business. You know if the item is in stock before you order, and you can let the dealer know when your order has been sent.

There was some confusion with a recent order that I placed with Brian; turns out that his email message (informing me of a delay) had disappeared somewhere in cyberspace. Brian made it right, sending the order with no charge for shipping.
biggrin.gif

Maybe you should send Brian a follow-up message. He really is a good guy to do business with.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Just to add my $.02 worth. Brian has always been a good dealer for me. I do recommend sending an e-mail to confirm items are in stock. He'll let you know.

All my items have shipped promptly. I returned two items that had some blade play. Turnaround was quick and Brian replaced them.

I'm not sure what more a person could ask for. I've heard others say they won't do business with him because....

I guess folks should do business with who they want to, but I also think it is a good idea to give the company you are ordering from a chance to make things right. The internet isn't perfect - e-mails and orders do get lost.

Just my thoughts
smile.gif

------------------
"All is well. And all will be well - in the garden." Chance the Gardener

As I posted previously, I e-mailed Discount Knives about the status of my order on 11-6. On 11-14, Brian replied "I'll have someone check as the order should have been shipped." I haven't heard what they found when they checked and haven't seen the knife. I never sent any sarcastic, or smart a** e-mails, so I don't know what's going on. Bruce

I have ordered 3 times from Brian and have gotten two knives and a sharpmaker in less than a week each time. He even thanks me by return e-mail when I send him e-mails confirming receipt of my orders.

I too have had a bad experience with Brian at discount knives, but I accept most of the blame for it. Here's what happened...

I made an order with them around July 1999. I ordered a couple of balisongs (butterfly knives) from them, four of them I think. My total was around $40. I had also made another order with another dealer the same day, and sent them out together. The thing is, I sent cash, which is the easiest way to get fukt. This was before when I just started making online orders, and wasn't sure about money orders (I used to have this sense of trust in people). I was always careful with this kind of thing though. I would always wrap a couple of sheets of paper around the money, making sure it would not show through the envelope. I had done this many times before, with zero problems. But I'm not saying this was safe, nor a good method of sending payment. Anyway, I sent the money out, and then about a week later, I got my order from the other people I dealed with, but nothing from Discount Knives. I waited another few days, then I called the toll free number given on the website. The number never once worked, out of the 20 or so times I tried over a period of about a month. But at the same time, I also e-mailed Brian about my order. He said he hadn't received anything; no money, no order. He never even said anything about why the toll free number didn't work (I asked him about this more than once). After asking him to check for my order a few times more, maybe 2 or 3, he started to become a jack@$$, and started calling me a liar, and a conartist, saying he knew how people like me worked, and tried to get free stuff. This made me mad, but I always acted civil about it, without showing the slightest bit of anger.

Anyway, there wasn't much I could do about it, besides not do any further business with this guy. I'm just glad I only made a $40 order. From then on I sent only money orders. I just want to say that it was my fault that I sent cash, but I did not appreciate the crappy service. I'm glad most of you guys got your orders fullfilled; don't let my story stop you from buying from Discount Knives again, I just felt like sharing with everyone.

Everybody complains, but they keep going back because he is the cheapest.

Brian is A GOOD GUY just very very busy.

Just read the other bad posts about him.

EVERYBODT WANTS THE CHEAPEST AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GET. YOU JUST HAVE TO BARE WITH IT AND STOP COMPLAINING OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

The way I look at it is if I'm getting something for free, then I have no right to complain. But if I'm putting my money out, whether it's for a meal, or a knife, then I have a right to complain if I think I'm getting poor service. I define poor service as doing substantially less for me than others in the same type of business have done for me. I totally agree that people should not spend their money at a business that they think gives poor service. Bruce

THE GUY IS DOING HIS BEST.

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

I think this is the best place to learn about dealers. I just wished that all people who post here their negative experience (don´t get me wrong, there is nothing bad about it) first would read the forum and find the info about the particular dealer. That way they could avoid him (if the feedback was not good) and the negative experience would never occur
smile.gif

When dealing with Brian I always inquire whether the item is in stock and what would be the price. Sometimes when I find really good deal on the net I ask him whether he would honor the 10% discount policy. Sometimes he does, sometimes he does not - when the price is too low, sometimes it is "only" 5% . I know wholesale prices (have many catalogs) so I do not blame him. His prices are really low anyway.

So far I have not had bad experience with him, but since I also work in e-business area I can imagine that some deals does not have to turn out the way both parties would like. Sometimes letters even parcels get lost - e-mails are no exception. If you do not get your reply in reasonable time, try again.... and be patient... we are only humans
smile.gif
aren´t we???

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------------
My Photopoint pictures

Mikov Knives

I have had several transactions with Brian and have had nothing but fast and efficient service. The prices were good and orders arrived in less than a week.

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

I have an ongoing issue here, which may add some perspective. I've ordered from Discount Knives several times, all with excellent service. On Oct 31 I placed an order, and the next day placed a different order with him, both for relatively common items.

I have on-line access to my credit card info, and on Oct 8, noticed that neither credit card had yet been billed for either order, so I dropped a polite e-mail asking if everything was OK. On the 13th I received a one-line response saying he would have someone look into it, and on the 15th I sent another polite email asking if he had found out anything.

It's now the 20th, and no response on either order, nor have my credit cards yet been billed.

I have no problem if things are out-of-stock, I just would like _some_ response to enquiries. It is only good business to answer customers when they enquire about placed orders, it avoids discussions like this one.

Despite great prices, and previous good orders, I'll have to think twice in the future about a vendor who won't respond to enquiries about placed orders.

------------------
Al Folsom alan_folsom@email.com
-----
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away, and barefoot!

I agree that people go back to Brian because his prices are so close to wholesale... but I think good service is also equally important (or maybe a little less important, but it's still an important part in business). I am with swa on this one... you shouldn't have to sacrifice service to save. Or was that the Geico comercial? But he has a point, we are still paying for these products, and that is business for Discount Knives.. no matter how little it is.

Also David, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you talk about e-mails getting lost.

And Rick, I appreciate you sticking up for this guy, but we are not trying to flame him or anything.. we're only sharing our experiences with others so that others may benifit from them. Isn't that what this forum is for?

Have you noticed that Brian now no longer posts ANY phone number on his website? I have sent more emails, with no response, and now there isn't even the option of calling. I have no idea what this means.

Keep in mind he has not charged my credit card, so there is no nefarious plot to part me from my money, just no response whatsoever to enquires about my order.

By the way, in one email I did mention that there was a time deadline since some of these items were intended as birthday presents. Still no response.

Al F.

------------------
Al Folsom alan_folsom@email.com
-----
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away, and barefoot!

KentDog
When I ordered, I did so knowing that one item wasn't in stock; Brian said that he should be able to get it in only a couple of days. I was out of town on business the following week, and when I returned home Thursday night, the knives still hadn't arrived. So I sent Brian a follow-up email. His next day response was that there had been a delay in obtaining the out-of-stock item, that he had emailed me asking if I still wanted it when it came in, and that if I still did, my order was ready to go. I didn't receive that email message. I did get my knives on Tuesday (total elapsed time from ordering to receipt, 16 days).

There are two possibilities here: either Brian sent an email that never arrived, or he never sent the message. I have absolutely no reason to doubt Brian's word. Hence, I must conclude that the message was sent, but never arrived. Emails do go missing from time to time.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Dave, I have never heard of e-mails getting lost, but I understand what you are saying. I guess it is possible for e-mails to get lost.

Now that you bring this up, I remember something about my Discount Knives dispute. A lot of my e-mails went unreplied to, and when I asked why I had received no reply, I finally got one from Brian, saying that he had sent a reply for every single one of my e-mails... which i doubt. He said he'd send his replies to me, because he had them all saved, but all I got were copies of the e-mails I sent him, with pretty much no changes except for the ">" marks that appear on the sides when you reply to a message. I pretty much lost all hope in ever seeing my order again.

I'm just happy you got your knife, Dave.

Back