Discreet neck knife for the gym

I've started going to the gym pretty regulary. I was wondering if anyone knows of a neck knife I could wear that wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

Blades at the gym has been discussed in a few other threads, such as this one:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223541

It seems most people are going with the IWB option. I would prefer to go the neck option, that way I could just throw it on and forget about it. Also, with a neck knife it really won't matter what I am wearing (don't have to worry about pockets or loose waistbands), and I can have it in the shower. Never know when you might get wrapped up in a shower curtain and have to cut your way out!! :D

I just don't want to be strolling around naked in the locker room and have everybody in there immediatly recognize that there is a knife around my neck.

Unless you wear some pretty baggy clothes to the gym, I don't see how a neck knife isn't going to stick out like a sore thumb. They tend to leave a pretty big "print" under the shirt, especially if you're not wearing something pretty thick, or multiple layers. It seems like a neck knife might have some saftey issues, too.

Have you considered a folder clipped IWB?

-- Rob

Microtech Medallion! Kind of big, but with Microtech you can't go wrong. CRKT makes a good one too I believe

When I go to the gym, I wear a Cuda Arclite neck knife. No one has EVER asked me about it and it hides well under my tank top. If you wear a skin tight tank top, the knife WILL print. Just wear a loose shirt or tank top and I don't thank you will have any trouble.

Forget the neck-knife idea...You WON'T like it when you are running/jumping-around. Get yourself a Spyderco lightweight FRN Delica or Endura and wear it IWB...You won't even know its' there.

Unless your "gym" is the prison weight pile, you probably won't need a shank while training ;) But I think the Delica idea would be the best. I also have a Livesay Woo necker that lays so flat, it can't even be seen under a light t shirt.

I'd have to say that I agree with tknife on this one, I don't believe you'll need a knife unless your lifting in some pretty bad areas and if it's bad enough where you need a knife I'd recommend finding another gym. I love knives, but even this would cause me to raise an eyebrow. Wouldn't it get in your way during a workout (ex. benchpress) or as glockman99 stated, when you're running? I know some people like the security of always having something on them, but a gym is generally packed full of people, well lite, and fairly safe. Maybe keep something in your gym bag for when you're going too and leaving the gym. On the other hand I run at night with my dog, I just started clipping a FRN lightweight Delica to the wasteband of my shorts as glockman99 stated earlier, it works really nice, I don't even notice it.

But one option is a Pro-Tech TiSpike. I know that it's not technically a knife, but it would come in handy in a pinch.

It's small, unobtrusive, leaves a minimal if any imprint and extremely light weight. You can even get it colorfully anodized.

Jubei

The only way I would carry a "neck knife" when working out at a gym would be with some sort of "knife bra" system, such as the one offered by Blade-Rigger or the one offered by Survival Sheath Systems and designed by Jerry Van Cook.
Either of these hold the knife in one position on your chest, keeping it from flopping around, falling forwards or falling across your body.
This is the BladeRigger model: http://www.bladerigger.com/neckharness.html
And this is the Survival Sheath model: http://www.survivalsheath.com/sheaths/images/vancook.jpg
As for which one, if either, could be used at the gym? I dunno.

The solution I would use would be this: Get an Emerson La Griffe for the neck knife - its light-weight, thin, and conceals very well under even a thin shirt. The La Griffe has excellent retention because of the index finger hole - I see this as being a serious advantage when you've been working out, even if your hands are sweaty you can lock onto the knife and draw it without fear of losing hold, having your hand slip, and once its drawn, its in your hand, going to be very hard to take out. Thats the issue I have with other neck knives, especially those with skeletal/all steel handles, if your hands are at all wet or sweaty, they can slip right off there because of the small handle not providing any retention. Problem solved with the La Griffe (Or a Spyderco SPOT, or better yet a Hideaway) - I just pickt he La Griffe because you can have one for under $50, you can thrust with the blade, and it has a more general handle shape, no weird angles to possibly cause discomfort for some users.
The newest sheath design for the La Griffe has large tie-down holes on the sides - I would take a piece of paracord and run it through there and then tie it around my chest - simple, cheap, effective. You could also buy some nylon webbing and rig up something better, but for cheap and easy, paracord works.

I find the walk across the parking lot to the gym the most dangerous part of actually working out. I like tools in good, handy places, but the gym isn't one of those places.

I'm already in my gym clothes when I show up. I might have the Cold Steel Culledon (or whatever it's called, the Scottish skean dhu thingie) which is really my bicycle knife. My blue jeans are folded up on top of my gym bag, and the Strider SnG is clipped to the pocket.

I started working out in 1978; and except for one instance of 'roid rage' that I HEARD about, but never saw, I haven't seen anything to fight about. Sure, some people carp about using their 'favorite machine,' but that ain't worth a knife fight.

You're standing in a room full of weapons, and you would choose to reach inside your clothes to find a knife?? It would be pretty narrow minded to think your knife beats a 25lb. steel bar! A 'roid rager won't let you get close enough to stick him. Get a lifting partner to watch your back: if you pull any knife in a gym in the bad part of town you'll be lucky if you live to tell about it.
That said, I agree with Ichabod, since there are fewer natural weapons in parking lots, and have an Emerson CDR clipped to my gym bag for the walk home.

I gotta second the emmerson La Griffe. Dude I wore it to the gym many times, never had a problem with it. I train with it on, and teach with it on. Never had an issue with it. It's light, small and nasty.

It doesn't seem you guys worry about rust too much!!!
Either that or you don't sweat.
Don't forget your sweat has a lot of salt in it too!!! :eek:
Personally, I'd look into getting a custom titanium knife.

Ti LaGriffe on dog-tag chain, you'll forget its there, until your credit card statement comes!!!

Is Camillus the company that does the Rob Simonich neck knife in Talonite? That should give you good rust protection from the constant sweat the knife would be in. And it's a neat, small and sharp fixed blade.

I'm not going to tell you that you don't "need" a knife at the gym thats not my place.Man knife guys sounding like sheeple:rolleyes: .Maybe like me he goes to the gym in his workout clothes.Or maybe he runs outside after his weight lifting.Or maybe he believes in Mr Murphy and wants to be prepaired 24/7.Or maybe like me he is an emt and people have gone down in his gym(like the y where I go)and he will need to cut off thier shirts.Or any number of other reasons.

Now for the knife.I tried neck knives at the gym,they move around to much for me.No good while benching etc.if you wear tank tops,they slide out the side while lying on a bench.I clip a light weight Spyderco(right now a Merlin)to my shorts,while in the shower it rests in my locker,but you could clip it to your towel and hang it nearby.

Just don't ask for what knife for in the shower.:D ;) .Those who have been here awhile will understand.

I carry a La Griffe almost all the time, mending fence, hiking, training solo, doing yard work, working in my shop - during the summers here in NM it can get up to 100 in the shade easy, and if you are working out in the sun you sweat a lot - the Griffe holds up to that just fine. Its black coated 154-CM Stainless that is polished pretty well under the black (good polishing tightens the surface grain, so there are no big open pores for rust to develope in) - I've yet to have a problem of any kind with rust. But a TI. one is available for significantly more if oyu are worried about it.

How about a CRKT Neck Peck or F4? You could get a long enough cord to wear around your waist and hide the knife down between your... :D

Sorry guys, wierd sense of humor tonight. But the knives are discreet.

Back