Disillusioned with bigger name “Reviewers”

Like others have said. If there is a knife I'm interested in, I will search youtube for videos on it. Mainly to see how it looks in hand. I don't pay too much attention to what is being said. I've learned to disregard a good chunk of it. It seems like many of the recent vids I've watched are from Russian reviewers. I don't speak Russian or bother with closed captions, I just want to see a little about the knife.

Knives on YT still serve a small purpose for me.

I don't like billboarding on knives or anywhere else. On humans even less so.
I am surprised by all the tattooed knife reviewers I see. It has become typical.
A tattoo ruins natural, inherent human beauty for me, I find it off-putting.
What somebody want to do to their own hide isn't any of my business...

But I've reached the age where a "Medic-Alert" tattoo on my chest would be a good idea!

I'm sorry: I didn't mean to remove or add anything to what you said...
(I must have tripped over the keyboard again.)

I actually had a picture of possibly the worst tattoo ever... But I decided to pull it down before I got into trouble for it! 🙃

He didn't send knives and other stuff to people who had paid him or won giveaways. He sold knives given to him by manufacturers when they were supposed to be given away. Scammed people out of money to build a website that has not materialized. He never paid people for editorials that got into knife illustrated magazine.
He blamed it on his mother dying (over a year ago) and his wife getting pregnant. Supersteel Steve called him out. Slicey Dicey has disappeared.

That's about the gist of it.

I watched Steve's videos, and he's right on the money. SD appears to be your garden variety scumbag.

I usually watch reviewers just to see a knife from different angles and size comparisons. I stopped watching reviews for information when I heard Nutnfancy complain that a Delica is too heavy because of the liners. Not to mention all the "real world use" videos that are shameful abuse of a knife in my opinion. Real world use for many people is opening boxes, especially since 2020, and not hammering it through a can or tree or sometimes concrete.

I usually watch reviewers just to see a knife from different angles and size comparisons. I stopped watching reviews for information when I heard Nutnfancy complain that a Delica is too heavy because of the liners. Not to mention all the "real world use" videos that are shameful abuse of a knife in my opinion. Real world use for many people is opening boxes, especially since 2020, and not hammering it through a can or tree or sometimes concrete.

I like destruction tests, because when I want to know the weak points and limitations of something I don't have to do it myself.

My real use is, right now, stripping cable with my spyderco endura K390. Heavier use than most people I assume. My Kapara cut the box my new microwave came in... Had to cut along the bottom and lift it off. Good times.

Of course I open mail, packages, etc. If I want to put a knife through a can or whatever... I don't use a folder. That's why I have a BK2... Lol

And nutnfancy said a delica is too heavy? Wow... I can't even imagine.

This is something that I had never really considered until recently. I don’t use YT reviews to help me make a decision about a particular knife. I may do a search here on BF but if I really like a knife I will just buy it. If I don’t really like it then I sell it or give it away as a present. Buying a knife to me is Ike buying a wallet, it is a very individual and personal thing. I know what I like and someone else’s opinion really doesn’t matter to me.

My real use is, right now, stripping cable with my spyderco endura K390. Heavier use than most people I assume. My Kapara cut the box my new microwave came in... Had to cut along the bottom and lift it off. Good times.

Of course I open mail, packages, etc. If I want to put a knife through a can or whatever... I don't use a folder. That's why I have a BK2... Lol

And nutnfancy said a delica is too heavy? Wow... I can't even imagine.

Well, to be fair, this is also the dude who advocated for people carrying around one of those little Razor Scooters so you can have transportation bugout options from an urban area, sooooo.... 🤷‍♂️

LOL

You are going to BURN!! 🤣😂

And it was YOUR CHOICE!!

You enjoy making fun of guys like me who state their preferences for clean language, and their reasons for it, even to the point of putting words in our mouths on a public forum. But my "emphasis: your choice" comment to him was about his statement that we could not be friends. I never said I would not be someone's friend over that.

After reading this thread, I watched half dozen Youtube knife reviews, and, BOY, are most of them rotten!

I see what you all mean about shilling for sponsors, it's shameless, and really de-values anything they say. And as for curse words...they devalue anybody's opinions in a Youtube Knife review. I probably wouldn't have noticed it had David Mary not pointed it out. Perhaps many of the reviewers are trying to become "influencers", so professionalism isn't their goal, only "clicks."???

"This knife is awesome"
"This knife is F#$%ing awesome".

Which statement carries more weight for a grown-up?

After reading this thread, I watched half dozen Youtube knife reviews, and, BOY, are most of them rotten!

I see what you all mean about shilling for sponsors, it's shameless, and really de-values anything they say. And as for curse words...they devalue anybody's opinions in a Youtube Knife review. I probably wouldn't have noticed it had David Mary not pointed it out. Perhaps many of the reviewers are trying to become "influencers", so professionalism isn't their goal, only "clicks."???

"This knife is awesome"
"This knife is F#$%ing awesome".

Which statement carries more weight for a grown-up?
What amuses me is people using a service they haven't paid for, and expecting "professionalism". 😅

Back