Do bugs eat canvas micarta?

This may sound like an odd question, but I recently did a trade where I received an Entrek knife. The handles were flawless except for what looks like extreme wear near the lanyard hole. It's centered only to this area, and he swear it was not like that when he shipped. Could bugs be the culprit? Thanks.

Um, No. No they do not.

Yes they do...............................If they are space bugs, with laser beams on their mandibles!

Wear around the lanyard hole likely did not happen in shipping, unless some one took it out of the package, put a cord through it, and tried to saw their way through the lanyard tube!

micarta is crazy stable.

Thanks, I didn't think so but I couldn't think of how it would wear in that one specific spot. It doesn't look like rot..

9B8EAEFE-2227-4C21-A957-E90D19DC6F0A-4989-00000360BBF11BC7.jpg

Picture of the damage.

And very hungry bugs are they.
Micarta may also have some defects which probably could look like that.

looks like he used a dull drill bit or just didnt use a piece to drill into after the bit came out of the scales..ya do that with wood scales for the same reason

could have been filled in with a bit of super glue and some micarta dust and it came loose during use or just crappy glue

looks like he used a dull drill bit or just didnt use a piece to drill into after the bit came out of the scales..ya do that with wood scales for the same reason

could have been filled in with a bit of super glue and some micarta dust and it came loose during use or just crappy glue

So there's no possible way it could've happened in transit, even if customs took a look? Also, the blade had pierced the kydex sheath which he said was not that way when he sent it and the MPK mission's sheath had a break at the belt loop which he says was not that way. He has high marks on here so it's hard to believe he'd be trying to pull one over on me.

My guess would be that the glue did not fully penetrate the linen in this spot and a drop of epoxy strategically placed and massaged in would fix it without trace.

So there's no possible way it could've happened in transit, even if customs took a look? Also, the blade had pierced the kydex sheath which he said was not that way when he sent it and the MPK mission's sheath had a break at the belt loop which he says was not that way. He has high marks on here so it's hard to believe he'd be trying to pull one over on me.
If it went through customs it very well could have been damaged. There is no telling what happened in there. It looks like a piece of micarta punched out when the lanyard tube was inserted, or drilled in. But I would guess customs, if it went through there.

Then what's the explanation?

There is a reason they say "buyer beware".

Big Mike

If it went through customs it very well could have been damaged. There is no telling what happened in there. It looks like a piece of micarta punched out when the lanyard tube was inserted, or drilled in. But I would guess customs, if it went through there.

So basically, either the guy I traded with lied and it was already like this, or customs screwed up? :p

Did you buy this knife after seeing some pictures?

I can pretty much guarantee it's not the work of customs, while the other damages to the knife might be possible, the damage on the lanyard hole isn't normal mishandling.

You could get that kind of damage during the initial drilling for the hole, but I would have to say it's likely from trying to pry the scales off as I imagine the lanyard hole tube would be flared out on top of the scales.

Did you buy this knife after seeing some pictures?

I can pretty much guarantee it's not the work of customs, while the other damages to the knife might be possible, the damage on the lanyard hole isn't normal mishandling.

You could get that kind of damage during the initial drilling for the hole, but I would have to say it's likely from trying to pry the scales off as I imagine the lanyard hole tube would be flared out on top of the scales.

The lanyard hole looks fine to me, and the pictures I saw were older, and I do not remember if any showed the "flawed" side. He had said it was "LNIB".

The lanyard hole looks fine to me, and the pictures I saw were older, and I do not remember if any showed the "flawed" side. He had said it was "LNIB".

Obviously I mean the micarta around the lanyard tube. Since the tube is flared out over the micarta, when the screws are removed the scales will still not come off, usually just spinning around the lanyard tube. Wiggling the scale to loosen it, one of the possible outcomes is the type of damage in the pic, cracking/chipping the micarta or G-10 around the tube.

Spyderco Para 2 for example is the same way and sometimes the same type of damage occurs while trying to fully disassemble one.

Unless you or he does not live in the US, customs is not likely to even be involved.
The knife was likely that way when sent and he likely lied.

Back