Do you mod your Mules?

I have an MT11P M390 Mule on the way, it's somewhere between Spyderco and my front door. I've looked at various Mule photos that have been posted, and I haven't seen any with handle scales. I'd be interested in seeing any that owners have modified with handle scales. The main reason I ordered it was to add scales to it. Once I see it in the flesh, I'll decide what material(s) I can use, like micarta, G-10, or some wood like cocobolo, African blackwood, or leopardwood, as well as brass or stainless corby bolts or stainless tubing, or maybe micarta pins. Not particularly interested in cord wrap, but if you have a really well-done wrap that you need to share, go ahead!

Probably didn't look hard enough. You really should look at the Spyderco factory forum, or google search the mule thread. There are hundreds of of pictures of different handle scales and materials used. Everything from cord wrapping to mammoth ivory.

Mattmanyam, thanks for the link! I didn't know about the Spyderco forum. I'd been looking around this site.

Doug

My friend will make the handle and sheath for my knife. Here are some of his work:

1982428.jpg

2151786.jpg

1966325.jpg

3014309.jpg

I'm in the process of making mine. Will look like this when complete:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311887032.689296.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311887032.689296.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 117
Here is what I have done as of right now:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311887081.557829.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311887081.557829.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 71
Those are very nice! I've never made sheaths, I've bought some unfinished leather sheaths or ordered from Red Hill Sheaths. I'm looking forward to my Mule's arrival!

kadinh, that should turn out quite nice! I've never tried combining handle materials like that, never had the patience, but I have enough scrap pieces around that I could make something really unusual. Good luck!

thanks for the kind words.

i just hope that when i sand it down and shape it that they don't come apart. i doubled up the liners next to the blade and between the white spacer material to give the black a little more bold look.

KNIFE.jpg

i should be able to work on it more this weekend... i bought enough material to cover the 2 M390 blades i just bought, i just hope i dont mess up on anything and need to redo my plans.

I don't really consider it modding, but I've bought/installed G-10 scales from Halpern Titanium on all of my Mules.

The Halpern scales look great and are certainly easier and far less messy, but I actually like making my own. At least when they come out the way I want.

I do plan on trying to make some of my own. Already took the first step and acquired a suitable block of stabilized curly Koa that should make awesome scales if I don't make a mess out of the job.

Jaabel put scales on mine a while ago, it's had a lot of use and I'm very happy with it:

IMG_3312.jpg

I would do it myself these days but probably not as nicely :)

Halpern is a good way to go with great service if time is an issue, got a local Kydex guy to make my sheaths.

It forms part of my EDC rotation now. Really enjoying it.

Muleproject014.jpg

Muleproject015.jpg

Muleproject011.jpg

Geoffskydexsheaths018.jpg

Geoffskydexsheaths024.jpg

PumkinEDC003.jpg

mine is still coming along. thoughts? comments?

A.jpg

B.jpg

I personally like it a lot!

Back