Do you suffer from compulsive knife opening/flipping disorder?

Do you open and close your knives compulsively?

• Total voters
It really depends on the knife.
I've caught myself flipping axis lock knives open and closed.
But most of the time I don't fidget with folders unless they're sitting on my desk.

Certain knives I can’t help but flip open and closed a few dozen times. Most flippers and axis locks are my weakness. I actually do something a little different to stop myself from doing this, I’ll flip the entire knife between my thumb and index/middle finger. Less noise, and it keeps my brain occupied. I started doing it with slipjoints and it carried over to my other knives nowadays.

Guilty. As a matter of fact I have sold all my knives that don’t meet this criteria first and foremost and all future buys look at this first. Thus why I only have 5 knives anymore after buying hundreds.

Lol Noce! I've got to know... what are these 5 Omega flippers??

I flick open and slow my knives all the time and am not ashamed of it. Veen annoying the wife for 12 years now, even talked her into going to blade show Atlanta a couple years ago. Keep on flicking!!

Oh yes. Totally guilty of it. The slow hydrologic smoothness of thumbing open my Inkosi, listening for the click of the lock.

I don't see a lot of posts about it, but my Small Sebenza is one of the most satisfying knives I have for fidgeting while watching shows. It's not as flashy as something like the Axis lock, but it's still more satisfying

No I don’t fidget. Fidgeting is a sign of other issues. Stress, ADD, compulsive disorders. Etc.

If it is just with a knife you might be able to justify it as enjoying you hobby.

If you fidget all the time. You may need help.

Also fidgeting sends a message to people that you are unstable and spasmadic. Fidgeting with weapons sends a more dramatic even less desirable message.

I know it’s a fun thread, and I’m not judging. But some may have a real problem I don’t want to minimize it.

Some people who really like knives and guns are also unstable and scare people. Doesn't mean everyone is or that collecting them is a sign of serious mental health issues. It's also possible for people to fidget with things without it pointing to any serious medical conditions.

Some people who really like knives and guns are also unstable and scare people. Doesn't mean everyone is or that collecting them is a sign of serious mental health issues. It's also possible for people to fidget with things without it pointing to any serious medical conditions.

Exactly. A bit of social anxiety or nervous energy that causes some fidgeting isn't a serious medical condition. It also doesn't convey that you are unstable, at least according to my wife. But what does she know. She's just a really good cook that's also a licensed psychologist:p

Also, I know full well that I fidget when I am stressed. I know, I know. What could be so damn stressful in life that would cause me to fidget? Actually, I had to fall back to flipping my knife open and closed as my fidgeting hobby. I USED to unwind by licking doorknobs and the faces of random strangers, but evidently that's verboten now:rolleyes:...Thanks, COVID-19!

Yes! But only if.... I mean, but only when.... Just because....
Awe crap, just YES. How do I put this....I have problems. :confused:

I have a method with AXIS locks; thumb-stud flick, AXIS close, followed immediately by AXIS open, then AXIS close again. Repeat repeatedly ;)

I also pace quite a bit, especially when I have a fresh idea rolling around in my noggin.

...Life can get busy as heck for 72 and barely require a blade at times.
you don't say :)
life is a game of hide and seek.
it begins with something which i don't remember about that somehow goes
into hiding (which then decided to show
up months later!) meanwhile, it turns in to
a frantic game of seeking a new replacement at the lowest price possible.
imo, restful peace is being able
to put up my aching feet on the table
and tapping to the sound
of flipping nail clippers.
;-)

Do I flip my knives? Yes. I love well engineered items such as knives, watches, cars and guns. I enjoy handling them all, admiring the actions on each by manipulating them in the manner they were designed. Do I have some disorder? No, at least not a knife flipping disorder.

WTH happened to all the good old Knife Knuts that used to hang here? Heck sake, knife flicking was a near religious experience way back when...oh well....time marches on..

Couple of times whenever I pick one up, and sometimes more than couple of times when I am doing a video conferencing working from home.

I can't help it when the action is as good as it is. It's THEIR fault for making them open and close so smoothly. I apologize for nothing.

Back