Do you use your GEC knives?

I’m in the construction industry, so Monday through Friday I mostly carry and use a utility knife. When I’m off work I have a rotation of about half a dozen or so knives I carry. The rest of them sit in storage. Most of my collection consists of pieces that I don’t use. I don’t see my knife collection as a financial investment. I simply like buying knives and checking out different patterns. After awhile I sell some off, most of the time I’m just happy to recover my initial cost of the knife. The ones I have to sell at a loss, well I just consider that loss a “rental fee” for being able to enjoy the knife.🙂

I’m in the construction industry, so Monday through Friday I mostly carry and use a utility knife. When I’m off work I have a rotation of about half a dozen or so knives I carry. The rest of them sit in storage. Most of my collection consists of pieces that I don’t use. I don’t see my knife collection as a financial investment. I simply like buying knives and checking out different patterns. After awhile I sell some off, most of the time I’m just happy to recover my initial cost of the knife. The ones I have to sell at a loss, well I just consider that loss a “rental fee” for being able to enjoy the knife.🙂
Yep, I have stable of users and some that just sit around in their tubes, either waiting to be users or sold to buy something new that interests me.

Yep, I have stable of users and some that just sit around in their tubes, either waiting to be users or sold to buy something new that interests me.
Same. Quite often I will come back to a pattern that didn’t really interest me at the time, but then I find that pattern growing on me. Like the GEC #25 Beerlows for example.

Same. Quite often I will come back to a pattern that didn’t really interest me at the time, but then I find that pattern growing on me. Like the GEC #25 Beerlows for example.
That just happened to me with the 33 and the 97. Thought I didn’t need them, and then I did. 😬

I only have 3 or 4 GEC knives that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and have actually only carried and used a couple. I think the ones I haven't used are probably worth more than what I paid so are they devalued by using them and if they are why use them? I usually carry a case knife and while the quality is hit or miss, the good ones are every bit as good as the GECs at 1/3 the cost.
I have the exact same view .... currently I have three that are "shelf royalty." I hate that I feel this way! But I can't bring myself to put so much as a speck or scratch on these knives. Thus, I will never buy one again! I do also feel that you can get a perfect Case or Buck and that they are every bit as good when you do... but it is becoming harder to get a "perfect" one.

I have a 38 from a forum member that I got specifically to carve and whittle. It's been through a lot of wood since then, and I have no plans on stopping.

I just like knives. Many I use or at some point will use. Others in my collection have been given to kids or will ultimately be given to grandkids and or sold I guess. Others are sentimental or special to me for some reason or another and I will not let them go in my lifetime.

Often it is the opposite for me. Patterns seem to appeal to me at first, but then over time when I come back to them my interest is gone and now the problem is figuring out what do with those knives. I grapple with the concept of thinning the herd.

Often it is the opposite for me. Patterns seem to appeal to me at first, but then over time when I come back to them my interest is gone and now the problem is figuring out what do with those knives. I grapple with the concept of thinning the herd.
I hear you on thinning out the herd. This fall when work slows up I’m going through the collection and cull out a bunch that I’ve lost interest in.

Back