Do you use your knife?

This might sound funny, but the knife I use most on a daily basis is my little Victorinox Classic penknife. I use it at work (I'm a certified court reporter currently working at university captioning for deaf students). It helps me screw in the realtime cable from steno machine to computer. The scissors cut paper and are good for minor grooming duty, as is the file. The toothpick I use to clean lint out of other folders. I rarely use the knife blade or the tweezers, although I once cut an apple with the blade. I always carry a Spyderco, Benchmade, or Cold Steel for cutting fruit, twine, string, hard plastic packaging, opening mail, boxes, and "just in case"
wink.gif
My Minibuck on the keyring is a backup "little" blade. Where I work, even what we consider a benign-looking folder (Calypso Jr., Dragonfly, Jess Horn lightweight, et. al.) can appear threatening-looking to most people
frown.gif
So mostly my one-handers ride along quietly during the work day. Jim. P.S. Geez, did I ramble ... !
wink.gif

I am enjoying this thread, it is interesting to see how everyone uses their knives on a daily basis. When I read a reply I get a mental picture of say David,say surrounded by pipes and hemp,in the key of "A" blowing at 110db..just kidding!
biggrin.gif
No, seriously I really like to see how everyone uses their knife/knives. Guess it goes along with getting to know the regulars around here. I figure those that just carry $300.00 knives probably don't use them daily? (boy that statement will get a reply)
biggrin.gif
....Now where is that LIZABELLE,wonder what she does with her blade,since her roomate had a problem with her fancy?? Guess I'm rambling.
SO HOW DO YOU USE YOUR KNIFE/TOOL??

use my"cuda" every day in construction
cutting building paper,stripping wire,light prying,cutting insulation,trimming a 'little'bit of wood off anything ,ect,ect,ect
making p@j sndwiches on jobsite

I have a friend that is a guide in BC,Mont,
Alaska,Ariz,and Texas.Been tryimg for 25 years to give him a custom skinner Olson
ect.His knife of choice for every thing,Leatherman.Skinned a javilina quicker than,,,, on a recent hunt.Washed it up couple of strokes on his little pocket steel and back in pouch.Did I mention he was also a taxidermist.Same Leatherman

Got about 30 knives, mostly behind glass.
I carry a pearl handled `gentleman's' knife with damascus blade and it's only been out of my pocket twice a year!
The knife we use is our Swiss Army - bottle caps, corks, cans (we have no other opener), boxes, wire. This knife gets used daily...

I have over 40 knives. 10 are on the auction at this moment.

On USING my knives:
Never use my Microtechs other than for admiration-just play with them.

My daily use knives (always with me) are my Umfaan and/or VBM M-UDT. They get used for everything.

Other "working" knives are my REKAT Pioneers,
Genesis, BM AFO,BM 3500, BM 1000, Calypso, Dragonfly, Wegner JR.,Endura, and Cheyenne.

I try to buy practical knives (one's to be used) most of the time. That is why I really don't care for clips and bead-blasted ATS-34.
Clips ruin the feeling of the grip, bend, wear clothes where attached, and have a tendency to get hooked on things causing them to dissapear. Never lost a knife that sits deep in my pocket.
However, I've had ATS-34 rust in my pocket due to sweat induced moisture. That makes me question the practibility of that steel.
So far, I've had great luck with Reeves steel BG-42 and 440C.
The REKAT Pioneers, even while they use ATS-34, have a satin-stonewash finish that has resisted rust or stains.
Bill

I always carry a plain-edge Delica with me, and I usually use it to open packages in the warehouse I work in. It certainly outperforms the rather ancient exacto-knives the company provides.

TS

I love the feeling of a brand new knife in my pocket, I try to keep it "new" looking as long as possible, but I have to admit that I really enjoy them the most after they get their first scratch or blemish or after I sharpen them for the first time. Seems only then can I truly enjoy them. So I find myself now much more ready to start using my knives as tools instead of as hand exercisers...Open,close,open,close!
wink.gif
I have some new Cold Steel knives that I plan on breaking in real soon Heeheeeheeeheee....!

~Keith~

I have used my Stryker for everything from peeling a kiwi to opening mail to trimming a gel 100' up on a latter(love that thumb stud and lanyard). The CS Minipal is reserved for small chores.
Aaron

------------------
My sheep has seven gall bladders, that makes me King of the Universe!
aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu

The small SAK on my keyring is carried and used on a daily basis. Scissors to cut string, magazine articles, and the toothpick for after dessert!
My Delica/ Endura are constant companions as well. They excell for my larger daily tasks such as cutting boxes, bubble wrap, string/ rope, vinyl, plastic strapping, tape, food, and to help restring the shot down lines for the target carriers at the local range I help operate! "This ammo is no good!" or "The sites aren' t adjusted!" they tell me. Yeah, ok.:)^)
My Polkowski Kaspers have so far remained in their sheaths.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I carry a Delica II to work and use it everyday. From boxes to envelopes to apples and oranges. I also have a Micra on my keychain which gets a bit of use as well. For
after work I use an AFCK for around the house chores. My wife can tell when their is something to be thrown out as it is usually cut to ribbons. Got to keep testing the sharp ness. :)

I use my knife daily. Since I'm home during the day and have to prepare all 3 meals for my 3 (soon to be 4) kids, I keep a M2 AFCK in the high cabinet and use it for food preparation every day.
Walter

With my job my knives have to cut plastic pallet banding and cardboard yet also reamin sharp enough to cut thin plastice film. I generally use my Military but I do carry and use a variety of knives since the cardboard and banding are quite tough on an edge. There is seldom a day that my knives are not used. Everyone borrows my knife so they get used quite a bit. I am thinking of starting a knife rental program at work now heh.

Regards,

Tom Carey

I carry a Leatherman Micra and use the scissors daily to cut out coupons, etc. I also carry a BM Gent which I use to cut up food into tiny pieces at restuarants for my toddler boy. Finally, I carry a BM AFCK plain edge in my right front pocket for cardboard boxes, minor gardening, duct tape, etc.

I use my knife everyday that I work(5 or 6 days a week) or cook (3 or 4 days a week).
And on most days that I eat (the full 7 days a week).

Back